Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking Modifications to my V70 T5...

As some of you will know, I've been quietly upgrading my car over the last few months. I've come to a "natural resting point", so to speak (ie I've run out of cash), and so I thought I'd post about my experiences.

My V70 T5, having came out of Kent Constabulary two and a half years ago under-par and needing some TLC, is now in decidedly better shape!

I don't have any accurate HP figures yet, the most recent power test was a week ago on a scorching day when the ECU was cutting boost back to 0.5 bar at 6000rpm. That yielded 298bhp at the crank (I'm afraid I don't know the whp number), but obviously on-the-road performance is a fair bit up on that.

Mods now fitted include:

Engine / Tuning
    MTE ECU upgrade (1.1 - 1.2 bar peak boost)
    19T Turbo (new not recon...)
    "Green" Volvo injectors
    Walbro race fuel pump
    Aquamist 1S water injection system
    Ported exhaust manifold
    Ferrita 3" downpipe and race cat
    Ferrita 2 1/2" cat-back exhaust
    Apexi cone filter (might not add to the power, but the NOISE!!!) and BSR Opti-Flow heatshield

Suspension / Handling
    IPD drop links
    Volvo strut brace
    Koni "yellow" adjustable shocks and matched springs (front)
    850 "R" shocks and springs (rear)
    17" Comets (anthracite) with 215/40/17 Falkens
    302mm police spec front brakes, standard rear brakes

And coming soon...
    S60R clutch
    Limited-slip diff
    Custom MTE ECU map
    Braided brake hoses and better fluid!

It has to be said that in the course of this work I have had to replace both Lambda sensors, the MAF sensor, the Intake Air Temperature sensor, and the Electronic Throttle Module! Damn those ME7s.

I had the work done at Power Engineering (rolling road tuning and diagnostics), SW Autos (hardware fitting, diagnostics and on-road testing), Owen Developments (exhaust manifold porting and turbo matching), MRG Chippenham (Volvo main dealers for the ETM replacement) and On My Front Drive (most of the rest of the work - including fitting the turbo with the car on axle stands!). Kalmar Union supplied many of the parts, others came from VPTuning (drop links), SW Autos (19T, fuel pump), Larkspeed (Konis), A Number Of My Mates (injectors, Apexi cone), eBay (more injectors) and a Northerner I Only Met Once (Comets).

I haven't done any custom ECU mapping yet with the car, it's running an off-the-shelf map at the moment. Now the fuelling problem is fixed (tired fuel pump), the car is running on the rich side; I'm hoping for some substantial gains from leaning the car out a bit.

Oh, and the car's now done 162k.

BRING ON THE 1/4 MILE DAY!!!!

Alastair

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    cool a very impressive list of mods, what times did you get at the last Avon meet? & how much of the stuff has been added since then? (i can remember you had the Apexi on)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Cov. At Avon in April I had a JR filter cone not the Apexi, but I guess they both lose the same amount of power!

I was running 15.0 dead, with only the full exhaust and cone (plus all suspension mods, and a 16T with a bloody great crack through it).

I'd hope for an improvement on that next time round...

Alastair

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    At Avon in April I had a JR filter cone not the Apexi, but I guess they both lose the same amount of power!

I was running 15.0 dead, with only the full exhaust and cone (plus all suspension mods).

I'd hope for an improvement on that next time round!
    i remember seeing your cone & a funky heat shield so assumed you had the Apexi then (whats a couple of bhp when you have a sound that makes kids run because they think they're going to be sucked into your induction pipe )

with a 19t & a remap since then i can see why your expecting some good times (was a very good time to start with)

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sounds awsome!!!!!
    I'm impressed!! Do you mind if I ask how much more the fuel pump was than a standard one????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    From what I recall - it was cheaper!

Of course we'll all be left in the dust once you've got your engine rebuild completed...

Alastair

Thread Information