Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks

Geartronic

Morning Liam
    I called Barry the service engineer who kept the 237k car as his own when I sold the business. The car is now approaching 270k he still does all oil changes himself plus he flushed the box last year as he now tows a caravan!!

So I think that is testament to how strong the gearboxes are/can be with a little TLC.

At work he now drives a VW Passat eastate disiesel and says its rubbish its off the road more than the Volvo and its not covered a 100k yet.

Dave

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Monday 25th January 2010)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mds View Post
    Morning Liam
    I called Barry the service engineer who kept the 237k car as his own when I sold the business. The car is now approaching 270k he still does all oil changes himself plus he flushed the box last year as he now tows a caravan!!

So I think that is testament to how strong the gearboxes are/can be with a little TLC.

At work he now drives a VW Passat eastate disiesel and says its rubbish its off the road more than the Volvo and its not covered a 100k yet.

Dave
    Cheers. I have a mate who got a 2003 xc90 d5 last year, think i'll suggest to him that he should have his gearbox flushed, to be on the safe side.

This user has no status

Thanks
    mds thanks very much for taking the time to write that up for me. I've just placed an order for 12 litres from this link.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Ac...L/?522770851&0

This user has no status

Thanks

Good Luck

Good luck Matt
    Beware this may make you even more cynical about Volvo Dealers than you already are !?!?!

Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Dave, I have a few questions. I only managed to get 12.5mm pipe, will this be OK? Is it best to do the flush with the engine cold or does it not matter?

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK ATF has been flushed as per dave's guide, thanks very much. One last question. Where should the ATF dipstick read when its topped up properly?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are two lines on the dipstick if I recall correctly, the lower one is 'cold' and the upper one is 'hot'. It says so on the dipstick if you carefully look in good light. It should be level with these.

Although I'd much rather rely on correctly metered out/in fluid than a level on a dipstick.
    Last edited by cornclose; Tuesday 2nd February 2010 at 16:24.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    12 litres of Genuine fluid from Rufe is just over 100 quid delivered, AFAIK and it reads fine on mine, is gearbox hot (after you've been out driving) with engine running, after idling for 2-3 minutes or so, move selector into each position for a few seconds, then back to park, then read dipstick with engine running, if oil is good its a PITA to see it.

Mines normal adaptive auto and is on 140k and has been fine, don't have an oil cooler, don't tow, but its happy lapping the Ring, did stall going sideways/spinning off on NorthWeald, but car started again fine and didn't seem to cause any problems

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Tuesday 2nd February 2010),LiamT4 (Tuesday 2nd February 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    All of my last 6 Volvo's have been Geartronic. Never had a problem never had a manual
    T5 untill my latest. I would now always have a manual on a T5 never a Geartronic. We are not all the same thank God.
    Current - 2018 XC60 R Design T5 (petrol) Polestar
    Previous :2016 XC60 D5 R Design (diesel) 2011 Volvo XC60 T5 (petrol)
    S60 T6. 70 T5 SE Jaguar S Type R 2004. 2 No Volvo S 80 T6's

Thread Information