Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry Parts not lasting!!!

I replaced both lower wishbones on the car in May/June time and no problems. The car started pulling to one side so i thought i would jack it up and check why now that the snow has gone.

Guess what, yes the wishbones are shot to pieces and i now have to try and sort this problem out while still using the car for work. I don't have time for this or the money to buy more expensive items to replace them with. I thought £128 for the the 2 was alot anyway.

This user has no status

Thanks
    sorry to hear mate, i keep on hearing about the great volvo build quality however from the things i read on here and other volvo forums anything new-ish seems to suffer quite badly from stuff not lasting, let alone the parts not being cheap too

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If the ball joint has no play? then it's only the bushes that need replacing.
    very common on the T5 because it is a highly stressed part from braking and accelerating all through the front wheels.

Standard rubber bushes are cheep as chips and easy to replace, there is probably a how to on here some where?

Or upgrade to the poly ones, even easier to put back on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ANDY B For This Useful Post:

850 t5 vs 600cc (Sunday 17th January 2010)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    The cheaper ones will always fail way before the genuine ones, probably best to get a price from RUFE for them, as has already been said if it's just the bushes then replace them with some poly ones.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

850 t5 vs 600cc (Sunday 17th January 2010),Rufe (Wednesday 27th January 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I assume Scan Tech parts, they are renowned for failing prematurely, trouble is PFV over price, and are often double price of Braydon for scan tech parts, but anything rubber or moving, made by scan tech wont last anywhere near as long as genuine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks.......did not know i could get poly bushes for these. So i need to PM Rufe then.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 t5 vs 600cc View Post
    thanks.......did not know i could get poly bushes for these. So i need to PM Rufe then.
    You won't get polys from a main dealer, they are aftermarket parts.

These are the cheapest place so far.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=2413PF88101&a=i

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 t5 vs 600cc View Post
    I replaced both lower wishbones on the car in May/June time and no problems. The car started pulling to one side so i thought i would jack it up and check why now that the snow has gone.

Guess what, yes the wishbones are shot to pieces and i now have to try and sort this problem out while still using the car for work. I don't have time for this or the money to buy more expensive items to replace them with. I thought £128 for the the 2 was alot anyway.
    I fitted Power-flex back in March '09 and one of the bushes has failed already! RT are helping me reach a conclusion on how this has happened.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to woody For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I fitted Power-flex back in March '09 and one of the bushes has failed already! RT are helping me reach a conclusion on how this has happened.
    thanks for this, maybe it was a bad batch...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ScanTech are known as ScamTech in some circles, couldn't say why though???
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm afraid the pattern bushes and arms for the 850 are pretty poor imho. I fitted a pattern arm to mine a while back and it threw the steering out by nearly half a turn !. When I checked the tracking it was off the scale and getting it right meant that the track rod end was dangerously close to the end of the track rod threaded section. I ended up getting a good used arm and swapping my polybushes into that and have done so several times when the balljoint has gone. I have also had scantech bushes that lasted 5 months ! My polybushes have been in since 2005 and have probably covered 70,000 odd miles by now so I'm fairly happy with them, they are also much easier to fit then standard ones. If you haven't done already make sure you get your tracking checked with those pattern arms on, chances are it will be miles out, a camber check is worthwhile too.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Was it the actual bush that failed or the 'rings'. Just interested in case they do have a weak spot for failing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As said before another option is Meyhle they do uprated versions and cheaper than the oem parts for that matter.

walter
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Was it the actual bush that failed or the 'rings'. Just interested in case they do have a weak spot for failing.
    Hi buddy. When I looked underneath, 2 rings had split and upon removal of one of the rings, the inner metal (copper?) bush is exposed. Ive sent photos to RT for advise.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi buddy. When I looked underneath, 2 rings had split and upon removal of one of the rings, the inner metal (copper?) bush is exposed. Ive sent photos to RT for advise.
    Ahh, if it is just the 'loose' rings as opposed to the top hat section thats moulded onto the bush you haven't anything to worry about. The instructions in the bushes do state that the rings may become displaced in use but won't effect the bushes performance. The actual fore and aft loading on the bushes is taken by the moulded top hat section of the bush which is why they must be fitted on opposite sides of the control arms holes (if they were both fitted to the same sides of the arms holes then the arm would slide off the bushes when you braked). I think I lost mine ages ago !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ahh, if it is just the 'loose' rings as opposed to the top hat section thats moulded onto the bush you haven't anything to worry about. The instructions in the bushes do state that the rings may become displaced in use but won't effect the bushes performance. The actual fore and aft loading on the bushes is taken by the moulded top hat section of the bush which is why they must be fitted on opposite sides of the control arms holes (if they were both fitted to the same sides of the arms holes then the arm would slide off the bushes when you braked). I think I lost mine ages ago !
    As you can see from the photo, the top-hat has been destroyed which is causing my drifting under braking! They are beyond help IMHO. If they can't withstand the rigours of the British roads, then I'll just re-fit EOM bushes.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As you can see from the photo, the top-hat has been destroyed which is causing my drifting under braking! They are beyond help IMHO. If they can't withstand the rigours of the British roads, then I'll just re-fit EOM bushes.
    Apologies, I didn't actually enlarge the pics so I missed the second one. Have never seen that type of polybush before, certainly not the same design as the ones I have, mine only have a thin stainless sleeve through the middle, have never seen one with a 'brass' centre unless it's cast within the bush itself but I thought they were just solid.

These were mine

Last edited by nobananas; Tuesday 19th January 2010 at 23:00.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just a thought Woody. Were both bushes fitted the right way round (apologies if you fitted them yourself I mean no offence just trying to work out how they could have failed) as in were they fitted so that they faced opposite directions with the loose rings inner most. If they were fitted the same way round then they wouldn't be able to take the forces of braking or acceleration and would fail and allow the arm to slid back and forth.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just a thought Woody. Were both bushes fitted the right way round (apologies if you fitted them yourself I mean no offence just trying to work out how they could have failed) as in were they fitted so that they faced opposite directions with the loose rings inner most. If they were fitted the same way round then they wouldn't be able to take the forces of braking or acceleration and would fail and allow the arm to slid back and forth.
    Hi nobananas. They were fitted as per the instructions. The photo shows the bush with a copper colour, buts it's probably the colour of rust! lol. The whole bush consisted of one inner steel sleeve, two Top-hat bushes and the two rings. Thinking back, it was practically impossible to assemble it any other way! Hope I'm not wrong on that!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi nobananas. They were fitted as per the instructions. The photo shows the bush with a copper colour, buts it's probably the colour of rust! lol. The whole bush consisted of one inner steel sleeve, two Top-hat bushes and the two rings. Thinking back, it was practically impossible to assemble it any other way! Hope I'm not wrong on that!
    Sounds like you've just been unlucky, I haven't heard of anybody else having any problems with them other then the loose rings splitting and falling off.

Thread Information