Join Today
    Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quaife or other type of LSD?

I've always heard different stuff about LSD's

which is best... a quaife style, or the 'gripper' diffs that are available?

driveability on the road is the key thing - rapid starts would be nice too!

Its for the Volvo S40 T5 - with the m66 gearbox i believe (same on in the s60r)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    First find out which you can actually obtain... theoretically both Quaife and Gripper make diffs for our cars, but in reality you can wait six months for either. Then, if you have a choice, worry about which is best.

Is my advice!

FWIW I've had two Gripper diffs now and they've both been OK. Good at getting the power down, creaky and grumbly at low speeds / tight turns, and snatchy if you lift off the gas suddenly in a corner, but that's all part of the deal...
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The quaiffe ATB diffs are pretty much fit and forget whereas the gripper can be made to suit the drivers requirements if they know what they want. If you car is a daily driver and odd trackday toy the quaiffe would probably be best for your needs. The Gripper by all accounts is more of a drivers LSD because of the adjustment it has (by the manufacturer only). I only have experience of the quaiffe though so I may have talked a load of garbage on the gripper lol. A few guys on the t5d5 forums run either of the two so posting there may help you get responses from owners of the specific brands.

This user has no status

Thanks
    and from what i can work out a lsd is more suited to a rwd car as it puts power to the wheel with most grip witch CAN premote understeer/oversteer and a atb just limits the power to the wheel what has lost grip

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I know Heico sell LSDs for the M66 gear box. Also look into the Focus RS as it the one it uses should be a direct bolt on.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    the focus has a atb, but did ford keep the 6 speed for the rs or did they put a 5 speed in?

This user has no status

Thanks
    http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...-transmission/

I'm fitting a Quaife as I like the fit and forget nature of it. I'm also not going on many track days. The Quaife doesn't intervene until a wheel is slipping so the car will feel "normal" until the point you would conventionally lose traction with an open diff. I haven't driven a car with an LSD but I'm willing to trade my wheelspin for some torque steer. I have spoken to both Quaife and Gripper in the last month and they are quite happy to advise on the performance of their products.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Monday 15th February 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have driven quite a few Volvo's with both types if you want my advise i would go for the gripper every time.

The quaife will still make you have to fight the car quite an amount it is better then Volvo's efforts lol remember when the focus rs first was launched everyone complained of really bad torque steer even with only 250 ? hp

I think you will find a few people with the quaife have been having problems with still a fair amount of torque steer and not nice on badly cambered road's etc I have never see anyone say the gripper is rubbish or complain of problems.

Having now driven my car without a diff i cannot wait to get it back in as it makes the car so nice to drive its a bit clunky on full lock etc but i love it .

Like all these types of things each to there own

Good luck

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RT MECHANICS For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Monday 15th February 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    I think you will find a few people with the quaife have been having problems with still a fair amount of torque steer and not nice on badly cambered road's etc I have never see anyone say the gripper is rubbish or complain of problems.
    i have, & here's another case LINK

Thread Information