Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPG bad.

This user has no status
    Thanks

MPG bad.

Problem 324563......now I've fixed the overboosting turbo problem, my mpg has dropped quite badly. I was getting around 19mpg around town and upto 30mpg on the motorway (I do drive with a bit of a heavy foot). But now I'm only getting 15.5 / 16mpg around town!!! Surely with the turbo now kicking in much later (originaly about 2000rpm and now around 3000rpm) I should be getting better mileage? Or could it just be with all this snow and driving around in low gears all the time? Haven't had it on a run yet so don't know what the motorway mileage is yet.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywolf View Post
    Problem 324563......now I've fixed the overboosting turbo problem, my mpg has dropped quite badly. I was getting around 19mpg around town and upto 30mpg on the motorway (I do drive with a bit of a heavy foot). But now I'm only getting 15.5 / 16mpg around town!!! Surely with the turbo now kicking in much later (originaly about 2000rpm and now around 3000rpm) I should be getting better mileage? Or could it just be with all this snow and driving around in low gears all the time? Haven't had it on a run yet so don't know what the motorway mileage is yet.
    Hi mate, I ran a similar thread yesterday as I am only seeing around 20mpg at the moment.
    I think you could be right about the weather, I certainly can not get up to any great speeds and I think this could be a factor.
    I would leave it until it clears up so you can see what mpg you return.

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

This user has no status

Thanks
    My 850 AWD is doing 22 at the moment and that is driving very,very carefully!!!

the true nut job
    Thanks
    hi mate the v70R was doing 24..when it snowed,now its gone down to 19...
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    so what should I be expecting per gallon if everything is ok? And is there any underlying problem that could be causing it if it is'nt the weather? oh yeah its a 98' v70 T5.

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    hi mate the v70R was doing 24..when it snowed,now its gone down to 19...
    God I wish....not seen much snow but in the cold weather on short trips I'm only getting 17mpg!!!.
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Mine ran 19's until the stat was changed and then jumped to 21- although it was a good few years ago. Cabin never got toasty warm with the sticking stat, as soon as it was replaced it became a sauna... nice.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im getting 24mpg in my s60r currently, thats a mix of driving

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Might be worth having an emissions test done at varying constant throttle speeds (an MOT testing station should be able to do this for a small fee) this would check that your not over fueling at cruising speeds which could be caused by a slow or faulty Lambda sensor. Also you may get slightly better MPG in cold weather as the air is much denser.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    flippin eck I dream of getting 17mpg and as for 24......man alive I wish. The best its ever done around town is 19 and now even with the snow gone it isn't going above 15. I'm starting to get annoyed with this car. Too many little niggles all the blinkin time. But at the same time I just can't get rid of it. Something keeps me coming back to it. I JUST WANT IT TO WORK FINE WITH NO PROBLEMS FOR A LITTLE WHILE!!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The missus' 850 T5 with Rica returns a constant 28mpg on the average mpg on the info computer. She drives around 70 miles a day in a variety of different traffic conditions. I did an experiment last time we went on holiday. Drove to the Lake District (fully loaded mind you), didn't exceed the speed limit, laid off the boost with no hard acceleration and short shifted. Just scraped 30 mpg like that. Coming home drove it 'normally' (stayed with the traffic, hooned away from roundabouts and played with anything more expensive then me !) and returned 28 mpg. Conclusion, there's no point driving my particular T5 economically, it makes very little difference !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Average 19's, just managed to get 25 on a 250 mile mway trip! ;(

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    my modded v70 2.5t i had was doing an average 24 to 26 round town but would do 38 to 40 on a run

This user has no status

Thanks
    My old T5 1995 225 BHP AUTO estate ,used to give around 17 in town 23 motorway "new"855 R manual with Rica 280 gives 23 town and 30+ motorway if driven reasonably.I think with the extra power it seems to be much more economical because you don't need to floor it so hard to get the speed.Only a humble opinion chaps,but I've found it to be that way.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    time to resurect this thread!!! My mpg is still bad and I've also noticed that my exhaust fumes stink of petrol. So any common causes of overfuelling? I'm fitting a new petrol filter in a couple of days as the one on my motor looks totally knackered. I'm hoping this might help a bit. Any other ideas?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No ideas guys? Its definatley over fuelling badly. Filled it to the brim the other day and my trip meter is saying i'm getting 12.5mpg! Also the fuel gauge is now reading 50litres (70 being full) and I've only done 57 miles!!! Summat is wrong but I don't know where to start. I used to get around 17 mpg around town so something has made it drop so bad. Plugged it into my mates scanner and it hasn't come up with any fault codes.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Hows your power, does it seem a bit low, does everything else seem ok (apart from the smell of petrol)?
    Last edited by LiamT4; Wednesday 24th February 2010 at 22:50.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    deffo sounds like something is up - garage job.

I'm down to 29.7mpg - lowest ever, that's 2 mile runs to the park tho and the odd 5 miles to see the GF - not much in the way of longer runs the last couple of months.

Get 33 to 34 when i do longer runs - driving style doesn't seem to affect it that much.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Power seems fine. Seem to have a leak from my driveshaft seal but apart from that I don't know. Like I said it went from ok to really bad very quickly but I don't know where to start!

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Hmmm... My bro was having probs with his turbo and had a HUGE crack in his intercooler which brought the mpg down, but this effected the power, and his mpg wasn't that bad. As t5_monkey said, think it'll be a garage visit. I'll try and have at think tomorrow when i'm a bit more awake! Hope its not too serious mate.

Thread Information