Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Question 205 55/16 winter tyres WILL THEY FIT AN R

My R needs snow tyres - the Volvo reccomendation is for 185/65 15 winter tyres (sadly I have big brakes so can't do this without re discking etc). In the winter I use 16" Perfos to protect the Volans - these have 205 50 16 but the only winter tyres I can find are 205 55 16. The question is, on the reduced R suspension, will they fit without rubbing???
    ALL IDEAS WELCOMED as have resorted to refitting the Volans which have newish P-Zeros to get some grip.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes they will, I run 16 snow tyres, 205 x 50 vredestein, with RUD snow chains, work fine on V70R.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big fan volvo For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Saturday 9th January 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big fan volvo View Post
    yes they will, I run 16 snow tyres, 205 x 50 vredestein, with RUD snow chains, work fine on V70R.
    I may just get some secondhand ones fitted to the Perfos and give it a try but as I say they are 55 and not 50 profile. I am assuming the chains would add the additional 5cm.
    On the assumption that some cars on here are fitted with wider tyres, I do wonder if there is actually fouling issue on my proposed 205/55/16.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How about Camskill tyres, seem to have plenty of tyres in size you wanted

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s628p0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to big fan volvo For This Useful Post:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    i had winter tyres fitted to my T5 never used in snow but very arse out slippy in the rain and wet roads be careful

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big fan volvo View Post
    How about Camskill tyres, seem to have plenty of tyres in size you wanted

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s628p0
    Camskill are out of just about everything - all showing no stock - of course when I looked three weeks ago they had everything in stock
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I run 205/55/16's on my T5 all the time without any rubbing issues and I'm running lowered H&R springs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Monday 11th January 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    I run 205/55/16's on my T5 all the time without any rubbing issues and I'm running lowered H&R springs.
    I have now sourced some 205/50 16 snow tyres - but thanks for the info. Will guarantee that no snow will ever fall in south London again.
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I just bought some snow chains, thus gaurenteeing the same for most of my area.

The 5mm will not have a huge impact TBH, but the comments on their road grip out of snow is correct, they are pretty much useless in the wet & noisy with poor grip in the dry.

I had thoughts of buying a set of nasty Metis or something similar just to put snow or studded tyres on last year...

Oh well, maybe this year!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    I just bought some snow chains, thus gaurenteeing the same for most of my area.

The 5mm will not have a huge impact TBH, but the comments on their road grip out of snow is correct, they are pretty much useless in the wet & noisy with poor grip in the dry.

I had thoughts of buying a set of nasty Metis or something similar just to put snow or studded tyres on last year...

Oh well, maybe this year!
    Snow socks are supposed to be good - easier than chains apparently. Watch that the chains do not snap and wrap around the axle. The problem I have is that I have mixed roads - some clear, some snowy, some icy - so chains not suitable, and the 'socks' likewise, I know BabyBadger swore by Vredestein M&S tyres - I will see. The Volvo owners manual has some guidance on the snow and ice tyre/chain issue.
    KISS Rs

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I was looking at the Vreds, but another tyre which has even higher ratings is the Nokian WRG2

My tyres are 205/55R16 so they should fit yours no problem.

Only problem is, I can't find anyone near me who will supply and fit them, and nobody is getting back to me.

I know about camskill and other online places, but they don't fit the tyre, and that will cost me more.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Monday 11th January 2010 at 11:16.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The only time I'm likley to fit them is if the snow/ice on my hill is too bad to drive up.

(less than half a mile at sub 20mph)

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    I was looking at the Vreds, but another tyre which has even higher ratings is the Nokian WRG2

My tyres are 205/55R16 so they should fit yours no problem.

Only problem is, I can't find anyone near me who will supply and fit them, and nobody is getting back to me.

I know about camskill and other online places, but they don't fit the tyre, and that will cost me more.
    I resorted to the bay of fleas - don't like using used tyres, but needs must, and friendly fitter round corner (also sells used tyres) will fit them for me.
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Yokohama Ice Guard fitted

Have now had some Yokohama Ice Guard tyres fitted - they seem to work well: even on wet roads. They are the same size (205/50/16) and spec as are fitted to Imprezas apparently.

Not quite sure I will be doing this though...well, not yet:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_p7ZaAxWpY&feature=related[/ame]

KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    And this is why the sun is now shining and the snow melting across souther England....
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just fitted some new Nexen 8000's to the front of the ovlov today (had 6000's on and got nearly new 6000's on the rear) time will tell whether they are as good as the 6000's I took off.

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    did you ever consider just altering tyre pressure's? i race on all types of surfaces and found it helps a lot. when the snow hit i let my tyres down to 12psi and drove to work no problems even up hills (gentle throttle control also). stopped to help a stuck vw driver who said how good it must be to have a 4wd volvo in this weather, his face was a picture when told him it was fwd with over 200 horses. then when road conditions improved just blew then back up with no ill affects and no cost just a bit of time to re inflate tyres.
    because it just had to be done

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    did you ever consider just altering tyre pressure's? i race on all types of surfaces and found it helps a lot. when the snow hit i let my tyres down to 12psi and drove to work no problems even up hills (gentle throttle control also). stopped to help a stuck vw driver who said how good it must be to have a 4wd volvo in this weather, his face was a picture when told him it was fwd with over 200 horses. then when road conditions improved just blew then back up with no ill affects and no cost just a bit of time to re inflate tyres.
    Good idea, increases your tyres footprint just remember to re-inflate them afterwards. (mind you the front ones on my T5 loose pressure and they are often down to 25 psi before I get the car off the missus a to check them !)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    Funnily enough I have used this technique on the T5 - was stuck and let down the tyres to get myself out. Always a useful one to remember though.
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Getting ready to refit the Yokohama Ice Guards (they are in the boot on a set of Perfos) cause I'm not getting caught out like earlier this year again!

Snow? Bring it on! Oh the delights of an LSD!
    KISS Rs

Thread Information