Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

turbo trouble.....again!

I posted an earlier thread about my turbo flatting out at the top end. Well I had a go at knocking the top of the wastegate arm back in the other day as there was a very slight gap. It now feels much more powerful on take off, but it still flats out top end. As soon as it hits 5000rpm it just stops like its got a rev limiter on it or something. It very fast up until then. Have been told it could be fault with the coil?? Its also very slow on pick up in 5th gear. Feels like theres not a lot there even when its well within the turbo range. So any new ideas????

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=flippin+car

thats the link for the original thread.
    Last edited by mightywolf; Sunday 3rd January 2010 at 16:16.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also its really annoying cos my mate has 2.0 turbo signum and it totally kicks my arse. I'm not even close to keeping up with him so something has to be wrong somewhere. I just don't know what else to check. I've also had it plugged in to see if it came up with any fault codes but according to the computer its fine.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My car recently had a similar problem mate after I jet washed the engine. I ended up replacing coil, rotor arm, plugs, dizzy and it finally turned out to be the leads. Once swapped it runs like a dream again. Just a thought though and I should warn you I am not very clever but could it be that it may be overboosting if you have changed the boost? As I say just a thought

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phil_woods For This Useful Post:

mightywolf (Monday 4th January 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've not done anything to change the boost. I have got a boost gauge and mbc to fit, but i want it running right before i fit those. One other thing I have noticed is that the wastegate arm is pointing slightly towards the passenger side of the car. I'm sure i read on a thread somewhere it should be straight forward or slightly towards the drivers side? This would presumably shorten the arm and therefore increase boost? But if it was pointing towards the drivers side it would be longer and therefore less boost? ..........mmmmm so over boosting could be causing it to flat out at 5000rpm. (and it really won't go past that. It'll rev to the redline in neutral but won't move past 5000 when moving) you could be right phil. can anyone confirm if i'm right in my thinking about the arm or have i got it wrong??? Cheers.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    As phil says, it could be the ecu is cutting power at 5000rpm because it is detecting a knock (our engines don't have pressure sensors). Someone in the past could have adjusted the wastegate arm too much in the hope of gaining more power, and from what I can gather it really only gives the mid range a bit more power as the turbo comes in earlier, but then you lose out top end as it overboosts.

Best get the wastegate adjustment checked.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Are you sure you don't have a blocked exhaust / collapsed catalyst ????

When you get to 5000rpm, does it run smoothly, or start to buck violently?

This user has no status

Thanks
    are the injectors working properly, have they ever been cleaned?
    jim
    96/97 V70 2.5T 20V B5254T AWD Petrol/LPG
    Injectors cleaned every six months

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure its not the catalytic converter. I had one collapse on a cougar I had so i know the symptoms for that and the exhaust is fine. never cleaned the injectors but I've only had it about 7 months. I only run it on super unleaded ( v-power or bp ultimate) and i thought the fuel had stuff in it that kept stuff like the injectors clean? I'm seriously thinking its the actuator or the wastegate now. I'm going to re-adjust the rod from the actuator and lengthen it to where I think it should be set and try that first. I'll keep you all posted. Any other ideas welcome though. Thanks to everyone!!

Oh and just as an after thought, the turbo starts kicking in at 2000rpm! I'm sure I've read in plently of places that they don't normally kick in till 3000 on the t5's? Can anyone confirm when the turbo should be starting to kick in. Again could this presumably be another symptom of over boost?
    Last edited by mightywolf; Monday 4th January 2010 at 09:08.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Make sure the actuator rod is adjusted properly. The way to do it is to undo the rod off the gate, apply the opening pressure to the valve (4.3psi for the B5234T3 engine), then adjust the rod so the gate is just closed at that point with that pressure.

At 3000rpm the initial pressure should be 4-5psi
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorted!!! Well it will be in 15mins when my fingers have got some feeling back in them! Adjusted the rod so it was nearly facing towards the front of the car took it for a spin and it blipped just before the redline!! A difference of 1000rpm extra already. So i'm gonna wind it out a little more now so its slightly facing the drivers side and it should be fine. Turbo kicking in much later (just before 3000rpm) and the mid range is unbelivable. Such a difference already. Whoever altered the rod on the car before I got it wound the rod so far back its unreal. It took about 10 turns to get it where it is now and its not quite enough. Just glad it hasn't done any damage. Many many thanks to you all again I'd be lost without ya I'll give another update when I've altered it again and let you know how it is. Cheers all.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thats it! Its done! Turned the rod out a couple more turns and its sorted! Pulls like a train right upto redline. Thanks again everyone.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    glad its sorted mate, and it was a free fix woohoo!!

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Bloody hell what a difference! Took her out to stretch her legs tonight and BAM. She's a bloody rocket. You can feel the turbo start to spool up at 3000rpm..........hits 4000rpm and BOOM it throws ya back into your seat and its off! And it doesn't stop. Right upto the redline....change gear and BOOM shes off again. Its like driving a different car. Woohoo...time to fit my boost gauge and mbc me thinks. Cheers guys, I'm one very very happy bunny. And like Phil said it was freeeeee no broken turbo or owt. Bonus.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    does it spank your mates signum now ????

New Identity
    Thanks
    Fantastic mate, glad its sorted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin582 View Post
    does it spank your mates signum now ????
    excellent question!

We cant be having a vauxhall beating the mighty moose!

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I reckon it will. I'll keep you posted on that one.......if he's got the bottle now mine is running ok lol. Or I could just wait till i fit the MBC and boost gauge and not tell him!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Good news it's better now

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Thread Information