Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Instant performance gain!

All I did was remove the mat in the drivers footwell. Turns out the mat was restricting the throttle pedal. How dumb do I feel? Very! :bang:
    1993 850 GLT 2.0 20v
    Pull the handbrake and turn the wheel: Your girlfriend's clothes will fall off!
    Car History:
    1995 Fiat Punto 55S (PX'd)
    2003 Fiat Stilo 1.2 16v (Killed it in a flood)
    1993 Volvo 850 GLT 2.0 20v (Current)

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    LOL Quality mate

The cold is the best mod i had this year and best of all it was free

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've done some stupid things car wise:
    *Forgot to tighten wheel studs following caliper painting: Lost all but one bolt in the middle of nowhere.
    *Drove through a flood with an air intake 6" on the ground and no splash guard (COD of my last car).
    *Forgot to reconnect battery following some electrical work and spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start.
    *Taking the front end of my Stilo off (easiest way to change headlight bulbs) just to find out I'd forgotten to buy the new headlight bulbs. I lived 10 miles from the nearest factor in the middle of nowhere. I had to reassemble the car, drive out for the new bulbs, then start all over again.

But the car mat beats that lot
    1993 850 GLT 2.0 20v
    Car History:

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Some quality ££££ ups there buddy

Almost as good as me when i changed the gear selector on mine ( center console out job ) and forgot to reconnect the rod through the cable that goes to the gearbox.

And im sat there for 10 minutes wondering why the car wont engage gears

Same as you mate, strip it all out again to sort it out

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    lmao, now that's quality! I haven't dared do anything quite that big on a car yet, but I've got plans for my 850...once I've sorted all the niggles out, and fixed a truly woeful paint repair (previous owner bought a cheap tin of no-name 'Volvo Red' paint, not Ruby Red as it should be. He did one HEAVY coat from what seemed to be about an inch away. It looks pap, it's embarrassing!
    1993 850 GLT 2.0 20v
    Car History:

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I have the same problem with paint on mine

Previous owner has painted the rear spolier but its a crap job, its slightly darker as well, not that you'd notice unless you stared at the car which tbh a lot of people do

Its needs completely rubbing back and spraying properly, a job for Craig ( tomcat ) in the new year.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    I'm here when you want me Lee..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

cameron (Thursday 31st December 2009)

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Cheers Buddy

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well I have a ££££ up that I did today! Could be the ££££ up of the year on the last day of the year.
    Today I spent all day on my Motor doing various bits and bobs including checking the oil cap for White sludge (just in case). So I finished everything then drove to my dads to get my valeting kit. Came back popped the bonnet and the whole engine bay was covered in oil. I thought I had popped the motor or something then I noticed the oil cap still on the scuttle panel!! I was relieved but I then had to spend an hour cleaning and topping up the oil. I am such a plank at times!

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_woods View Post
    Well I have a ££££ up that I did today! Could be the ££££ up of the year on the last day of the year.
    Today I spent all day on my Motor doing various bits and bobs including checking the oil cap for White sludge (just in case). So I finished everything then drove to my dads to get my valeting kit. Came back popped the bonnet and the whole engine bay was covered in oil. I thought I had popped the motor or something then I noticed the oil cap still on the scuttle panel!! I was relieved but I then had to spend an hour cleaning and topping up the oil. I am such a plank at times!
    been there done that, but on the cheesewedge's (480's) they've got sponge sound deadening on the bonnet. So when you pop your head under to see whats gone on all the oil drips down the back of your neck lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    been there done that, but on the cheesewedge's (480's) they've got sponge sound deadening on the bonnet. So when you pop your head under to see whats gone on all the oil drips down the back of your neck lol
    I have since removed the sound deadening from under my bonet, it made sense as I thought I would hear the engine better and warm the washer jets quicker. Oh and save weight too!

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to phil_woods For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 31st December 2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_woods View Post
    Oh and save weight too!
    good man

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Oi Pedro it didnt involve an anle grinder

Unless he was reeeaaalllyyyy desperate

Thanks
    ah, but the throwing of items into the bin comes in a close second place to cutting it up mate. Ideally he'd of removed the insulation, then set about it with a chainsaw before throwing it in the recycle bin lol

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I removed my sound deadening as well but ive since put it back, the bonnet rattled like mad without it

Maybe a bit of adjusting needs doing to it to stop it rattling.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMClark View Post
    All I did was remove the mat in the drivers footwell. Turns out the mat was restricting the throttle pedal. How dumb do I feel? Very! :bang:
    Ha! Been there - more often than most so I'm used to it now. Being the wrong side of 6' (by all of 7") and with most of the height missing in the leg department, I need to slide the seat forward quite a bit...

And in most cars I have owned/driven, even manufacturers' fitted mats, don't necessarily allow you to do that without catching the rear of the mat and pulling it forward and under the accelerator.... DOH!!!
    Back in Black (T4)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Working on a my old mark 2 cortina savage once,I took out the broken diff [teeth gone] and then proceeded to put it back in again, instead of the new one,how to waste a few hours on a cold floor in the middle of winter :lesson 1

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Guilty again....

Did a gearbox in a Talbot Sunbeam due to the usual lost synchro on second gear, and then discovered I had refitted the box I had taken out...

Luckily it was such a common occurence to replace that it was down to a fine art and could be done start to finish in about half an hour, including adjusting the clutch. God I miss those days sometimes!

Should start a thread on most stupid mistake when working on a car...
    Back in Black (T4)

Thread Information