Join Today
Page 8 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    No Draggy but I suppose you could always go 'in' drag?

Cheers for the info, lets hope my box lasts a bit longer, as I dont fancy my chances at picking a sweet one from the sounds of it.

Lets hope your all sorted soon enough buddy
    I created a genius, who outgrew my teachings, and is now being mentored by a new sensei! Live long Victor!

This user has no status

Thanks
    As this is your build thread I thought it would be useful to share some of my ME7 tuning experience with regard to fuelling. Just over a year ago Marco let me know that my green injectors were max'd out from 5000rpm - not an ideal state of affairs for injector longevity or if there was a need for enrichment at high rpms for engine protection.

So I fitted some VXR injectors and hoped for the best - they ran OK with the existing map but perhaps a bit rougher due to the ecu not having proper control on over-run etc. I didn't check injector opening times with these fitted until about a month ago when Tim fitted my new intercooler, MAF to turbo pipe and Walbro pump. The injector duty cycle dropped when we fitted the higher flowing pump but increased to above and beyond it's previous value when we fitted the cooler/pipe - at 100% from around 5000 rpm again (more airflow=more fuel flow).

So back to the drawing board - I fitted some RC Engineering 650cc injectors last week and Marco (MTE) updated the map for those (also taking advantage of the extra cooling/flow by adding more ignition advance). Now, even with increased airflow (and therefore more demand for fuel) the injector duty cycle never rises above 80-85% - a much healthier situation. Also, as the ECU is now running injectors that it's actually mapped for I have less popping/banging on over-run and smoother operation overall.

The issue is that pre-facelift ME7 cars (including yours Dave) have static fuel pressure of 3.8 bar rather than rising rate. When on boost most turbo cars have a means of increasing fuel pressure to keep fuel flow up (ecu controlled on later ME7 cars). At 1.4 bar of manifold pressure I have 3.8-1.4=2.4 bar fuel pressure - hopeless!! You cannot rebuild the fuel system on these cars to increase pressure so your options to keep injector duty cycle sensible are to fit a higher flowing pump and/or bigger injectors.

Clearly at low levels of performance you wouldn't need to worry about it but if you are going to take advantage of the 19t to it's fullest greens will be static (open 100% of the time) from around 5000 rpm. Log your injector opening times to be safe and pop them into an injector duty cycle calculator like this one: http://www.stealth316.com/2-calc-idc.htm

You can log them with an ELM327 type tool or VCT (or any datalogger).

NOT an issue for facelifted ME7/ME9 cars or pre-ME7 - just an idiosyncrasy of early ME7 vehicles.
    Last edited by jardon; Saturday 28th May 2011 at 13:43. Reason: Pedantic about my spelling
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Al115 (Friday 29th July 2011),Wobbly Dave (Saturday 28th May 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Part of my development process is to get a full data logger. Thanks for the heads up on the injectors. I do have the greens. Are you basically saying these are not going to be good enough? Do you also believe that my standard Volvo Fuel pump is unable to provide the necessary fueling?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Part of my development process is to get a full data logger. Thanks for the heads up on the injectors. I do have the greens. Are you basically saying these are not going to be good enough? Do you also believe that my standard Volvo Fuel pump is unable to provide the necessary fueling?
    As you are running similar hardware I think it's likely you may encounter similar issues. I never had driveability problems with the injectors running flat out but I wasn't happy to knowingly stress them to the point of failure ie: I may have got away with it for some time but who knows. Are you running an uprated intercooler and full exhaust? My 19t probably does flow more air than yours as it's ported and has a clipped turbine - but Marco said it wasn't flowing a lot more. I would log the injector opening times and plug them into that calculator before buying new ones. Your injector duty will rise as you increase boost from the 0.9 bar you run now because you flow more air AND reduce net fuel pressure at the same time. You have my number if you want to talk it through.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Sunday 29th May 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Yes I have the intercooler that came out of T5Rob's ex-850 before he made it into a compact. I have a ferrita downpipe with the race cat & a miltec 2 & 3/4 SS cat back. Will call you soon & chat.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sounds good to me. All my injector opening times have been logged at Tims using his VCT. I have an ELM327 tool and softloader which allow a lot of logging but I'm struggling to make the injector opening time part work. What are you going to use?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Don't know yet - Hamish promised me something as part of the package.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I am interested in doing a reverse intercooler pipework for the ME7 engine. I know Rnash did one with rubber piping over the top of the block but I would prefer to use a solid pipe as per the IPD kit. I don't want to spend 400 dollars to import it only to throw half the kit away. For once I would like to do a mod that cost less than 100 quid.

Any ideas or advice?

Do certain ME7 phase 1 cars already have it as standard? I seem to remember looking at the S60R & seeing that the pipe for that engine goes the other way around.

don't really care about the hear rising theory - just that the spool up has to be quicker based on the shorter distance??
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Monday 30th May 2011 at 21:58.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i think theirs a couple of sensors mounted in the lower pipe which might take some working out

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have never considered reverse intercooler pipework but my turbo spools up quickly - all down to BCS duty at low rpm. Also, my IATs are below ambient at WOT with the Aquamist on. Not saying don't do it but your turbo should spool very quickly with that exhaust and sufficient actuator pretension/BCS duty. I guess if it can be done cost effectively we will benefit from your experience - it would be one of those mods I would datalog before and after to see the effect on MAF, IAT and boost profile. Are you ever near Swansea?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Sadly not near Swansea. I will get my actuator checked next time I am in Bromsgrove. My 19T is getting on a bit now (about 100K old).

Just thought if I could get a nominal improvement for minimal investment - I would have to chop the plastic pipe just before the sensor on the ETM side. As with all things I want to do a nice job on it. I am thinking the pipes will be similar to S60R
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Monday 30th May 2011 at 22:44.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Small mod today. I bought >>this<< a while ago but never got around to fitting it.

I am not entirely sure as now everytime I accelerate - the noise is transmitted through the firewall. Sounds very aggressive inside the cabin. The noise is not audible on normal cruise, but it does sound through on gentle acceleration - hmm not sure. The mechanical advantage is quite minimal - the old one is not that badly worn.

Perhaps I am getting too old for the really noisy stuff?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Standard or the polybush type?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    It looks like a standard part that has been filled with additional resin. The IPD picture is actually the standard part. It is defo not a polybush type. I will take a photo & post tomorrow.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    If there's no gain then the noise isn't worth it I guess. Does the gear change feel more positive? My top mount big bush is poly and both the lower transmission bushes are too - difficult to say if that caused more nvh as we solid mounted the O/S engine and subframe mounts at the same time. Feels great when pressing on and the small increase in noise is not an issue. Totally subjective though.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I think any gains will be entirely in my own mind - IPD stuff I have found in the past is not always as good as they would have you believe. RAM air kit, HD BCS & HD ARB drop but to mention a few.

I will give this new part a month & see how we go. I have been resistant in the past to fitting polybush top mount due to the extra noise. I have the upgraded volvo one - but it seems to be getting quite badly compressed. I will see if the quarter mile is reduced next weekend.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Sunday 17th July 2011 at 00:24.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    When I changed my gearbox linkage to poly... traction was a lot better. Incidentally good dampers seemed to help a fair bit too.

I think you could get more on the launch, esp if your tramp and torque wind up in the mounts is less with a polybush... we were level pegging until 3rd (when yours sailed away!) at York ... and you have an LSD

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if the lower mount is available in poly form over this side of the pond?

You are referring to this right, monkey man?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4888/...n-torque-mount
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks

Oblov Modificatons in the Dark (OMD)

Well I have been tinkering again.

Bought a second hand top pipe (usually runs from the top of the FMIC to the ETM). Cut & shut job - I did try moving the holes but it was too much hassle - so I have reglued the saddle.
    Main restriction on the project was to retain the sensors in an air tight position.

I took the end part of the tube - cut out the U tube bit & reglued it to make sure I had good purchase for the silicone pipe.

Next I got a generic 57mm IC kit off ebay. I used 1 90 degree & 2 45 degree tubes - one which I cut down a bit to get the right length.

I started in the light - but by the end it was quite dark. I re-used the 90 degree on the modified ETM pipe to go downwards to the bottom of the FMIC using the existing pipe & coupler.

Internal diameters have not changed significantly. Clearances on inlet manifold & top of the block were spot on - though I did reverse the top mount bolt as that was kinda close. New top pipe is very solid & of course very shiny!! Overall distance reduced by around 50 cm in terms of air travel. I measured the stock setup & it was about 2m not including the FMIC.

I feel very chuffed - in a sorta pioneering way. Hamish is not going to reciprocate but I don't care.

A few teething issues to resolve (the 90 degree silicone pipe is a little slack on 1 junction - & it blew off under full load) but it does work & only time (1/4 mile time) will see if it was worth the bother. Still it looks the dog's danglies and by my standards relatively cheap - I think it will come in at around 100 quid.

What do you lot think?
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Friday 29th July 2011 at 02:32.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice work and looks neat - 0.5m sounds like a worthwhile saving. I started a fuel pump swap in daylight recently but ended up ferreting around in the dark with a large torch in my mouth. Sort out your 90 degree bend and enjoy.

Thread Information