Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2254
    Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Yeah, are you going to Uxbridge?

sure am payed the deposit today
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

stribo (Sunday 12th January 2014)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Still makes no sense, I see no reason to lower the compression that far: This from Garrett's own web site:

There are numerous factors that affect the maximum allowable compression ratio. There is no single correct answer for every application. Generally, compression ratio should be set as high as feasible without encountering detonation at the maximum load condition. Compression ratio that is too low will result in an engine that is a bit sluggish in off-boost operation. However, if it is too high this can lead to serious knock-related engine problems.

I can only assume that Dave is trying to go for well over 500 bhp
    I appreciate what you're saying Col. However I don't have a particular power figure in mind. I trust what Hamish has told me about CR & the need for higher lift cams. Only time will tell if that trust is misplaced. The engine builder runs his own autosport engineering firm, with many years based in competitive engine building.

AFAIK the C70 coupe has a kerbside weight of 1450kg. They aren't heavier than any other Volvo of the same era - if anything they're a bit lighter? Perhaps if I get the time I will get it weighed.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying Col. However I don't have a particular power figure in mind. I trust what Hamish has told me about CR & the need for higher lift cams. Only time will tell if that trust is misplaced. The engine builder runs his own autosport engineering firm, with many years based in competitive engine building.

AFAIK the C70 coupe has a kerbside weight of 1450kg. They aren't heavier than any other Volvo of the same era - if anything they're a bit lighter? Perhaps if I get the time I will get it weighed.
    The C70 is definitely heavier than the V70, don't know about the S70.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    The C70 is definitely heavier than the V70, don't know about the S70.
    the s70 is lighter than the v70

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    the s70 is lighter than the v70
    So the sportiest car is also the heaviest lol, but also the stiffest.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Wobbly Dave;679752]I appreciate what you're saying Col. However I don't have a particular power figure in mind. I trust what Hamish has told me about CR & the need for higher lift cams. Only time will tell if that trust is misplaced. The engine builder runs his own autosport engineering firm, with many years based in competitive engine building.

how well this set up is going to work is going to be mostly down to mapping. hope you get it set up how you want it this year as i remember last year didnt go so well as far as the mapping went
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts

My S70 has a kerb weight listed of 1376 kg I think. And the 5 turbo compression ratio is 7:1, that is known for being a bit of an 'on-off' switch as far as power is concerned. But that has a little engine, 1.4 (so the tax is cheap ). Maybe the 2.3 will get away with it.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Thing is, the 5 is old school and doesn't have the sophisticated engine management of a more modern car so it needed low compression.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

10. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 12th January 2014)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    My S70 has a kerb weight listed of 1376 kg I think. And the 5 turbo compression ratio is 7:1, that is known for being a bit of an 'on-off' switch as far as power is concerned. But that has a little engine, 1.4 (so the tax is cheap ). Maybe the 2.3 will get away with it.
    The 1376kg is dependent on spec and yours will be over 1400 because of the gearbox and torque converter.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 12th January 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Thing is, the 5 is old school and doesn't have the sophisticated engine management of a more modern car so it needed low compression.
    An ancient T3 and mechanical fuel injection for starters!

http://www.5turbo.org/t9309-le-k-jectronic-l-injection

Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    The 1376kg is dependent on spec and yours will be over 1400 because of the gearbox and torque converter.
    Could be I was just going off the Parkers site....you wouldn't want it on your foot either way

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...on-1996/12841/

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks

Cool Update news flash.....!

There is a bit to go yet but decent progress has been made today.
    Well all the engineer shananigans is complete. A lot of work has gone into this engine - but as with all these things most of it is hidden away now. I went to the engineers in Bromsgrove today to help with the timing of the engine (new VVT sprocket). It is a little tricky setting up the VVT cam from scratch. It is difficult to remember how it came apart after 6 months but we got there. I dashed over to HLM to have a peak at VIDA, made a bit more complex finding out that HLM's copy was offline (PC is broken).

Anyway here are some pics now the engine is timed up - shame you can't see half the trick stuff inside.

Name:  camlet end.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  1.42 MBName:  exhaust.jpg
Size:  1.10 MBName:  inlet.jpg
Size:  977.3 KBName:  ported inlet side.jpg
Size:  1.85 MB

bizarrely things like the idiot sensor switch, the outer cambelt cover, cam position sensor and a few other bits have done a runner.

I have a few gaskets to get hold off. I also need somewhere I can get a tapped drain plug from suitable for the blitz oil temp sensor - [19210] Temp Sensor set - I have bought. Need a few Euros in my account before I can buy the adaptor from Euro tuning for the [19211] Oil Pressure Sensor

I've purchased the blitz sensors because they integrate into the single display for the blitz I-color - so I don't end up with loads of different gauges. When funds allow I also intend on getting their AFR wideband sensor package.

BTW my engine has been measured and it now has 2320cc. Bore is 81.5, stroke is 89.00 and CR of 7.93.

If anyone would like to help get this engine back from Bromsgrove and help me recover it home - it'd be appreciated as I have limited space in the S40.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 17th January 2014)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    looking nice dave, does it feel like your getting somewhere now mate ?

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Yes - all the engineering is finished. I need to bolt all the bits back together, add the new sensors, add the Blitz SBC. Need GWE to fab up my new cat back.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    good news dave, keep on it mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    How about a simple tee piece for the oil pressure sensor take off - don't cost a lot!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Pressu...6#ht_397wt_952
    S60 T5, 2001 in the garage for weekend, V40 2.0T 1999 to get to work, had a 440 Turbo 1990 before that. I like turbo Volvo's!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to alcashj94 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 17th January 2014)

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Looking good, I'm guessing that's a S60R exhaust manifold.Are they more efficient than the Jap ME7 manifolds, as the R is 3-1-1, whereas the Jap is 2-2-1.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    You'd be guessing correctly then.

I looked at many alternatives including having one fabricated up. In the end this particular manifold was flattened to mate properly with the GTX's T3 housing which is not recessed like the TD04 is.

I have no stats on the relative flow rates for either.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

stribo (Friday 17th January 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    There is a bit to go yet but decent progress has been made today.
    Well all the engineer shananigans is complete. A lot of work has gone into this engine - but as with all these things most of it is hidden away now. I went to the engineers in Bromsgrove today to help with the timing of the engine (new VVT sprocket). It is a little tricky setting up the VVT cam from scratch. It is difficult to remember how it came apart after 6 months but we got there. I dashed over to HLM to have a peak at VIDA, made a bit more complex finding out that HLM's copy was offline (PC is broken).

Anyway here are some pics now the engine is timed up - shame you can't see half the trick stuff inside.

Name:  camlet end.jpg
Size:  1.42 MBName:  exhaust.jpg
Size:  1.10 MBName:  inlet.jpg
Size:  977.3 KBName:  ported inlet side.jpg
Size:  1.85 MB

bizarrely things like the idiot sensor switch, the outer cambelt cover, cam position sensor and a few other bits have done a runner.

I have a few gaskets to get hold off. I also need somewhere I can get a tapped drain plug from suitable for the blitz oil temp sensor - [19210] Temp Sensor set - I have bought. Need a few Euros in my account before I can buy the adaptor from Euro tuning for the [19211] Oil Pressure Sensor

I've purchased the blitz sensors because they integrate into the single display for the blitz I-color - so I don't end up with loads of different gauges. When funds allow I also intend on getting their AFR wideband sensor package.

BTW my engine has been measured and it now has 2320cc. Bore is 81.5, stroke is 89.00 and CR of 7.93.

If anyone would like to help get this engine back from Bromsgrove and help me recover it home - it'd be appreciated as I have limited space in the S40.
    looking good dave. do you need bosses for the sump or drill and tap them just i could do either for you. ive got various bspt taps and a few npt taps adn a lathe to make bosses and a ac welder

Yes - all the engineering is finished. I need to bolt all the bits back together, add the new sensors, add the Blitz SBC. Need GWE to fab up my new cat back.
    funny you should mention that ive got a pile of bits here. just waiting on a phone call for the last parts from the laster profilers. then i can crack on.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    That's good news G. I will be looking for volunteers soon to help me get this engine & gearbox back in.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    That's good news G. I will be looking for volunteers soon to help me get this engine & gearbox back in.
    ill come down and help you. be a day out for me. you any idea when your planning on fitting it. im going on holiday for week on the 27th jan.

Thread Information