Join Today
Page 65 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2254
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    The old engine was using water & had shown that the H/G was on it's way (confirmed on a sniffer test). That doesn't matter so much to me.

My RCA is going nowhere - I am no closer to the truth about where the oil went. Turbo has a clean bill of health. The 2 oil pumps look identical & I still don't know if pushing on with ME7 will even work.
    Dave You now must be sick of people telling you to do? try this and do that? I would be! And I have been in your shoes as well so i know how it feels, under pressure from the Missis, something you have loved and enjoyed as a project gone wrong! Got the T shirt! Your questions remind me of mine!

But I would place a months wages on the fact that Tim's diagnosis of you engine failure, from your postings is right! so why bother to keep looking? It failed! so if you build it right with safeguards in place the second time! (Gauges will help) it should not happen again!
    Jardon and other's on T5D5 have successful run tuned ME7 engine for some time! so if you want to stick with ME7 there there really is no problem! Jardon's was close to 400bhp with a hybrid 19t and he never had any problems with his engine!

And a good bit of advise would be to ask Tim Williams his opinion on the build?

On another note I also see a lot of stigma still! from Members who have the us and them thing going on! (Why?) Well Tim has already been good enough to post his opinion, and offered advise! he has no prejudice to which forum anyone comes from! And has only ever helped out people who have problems no matter what?
    Example! Many years ago when i was an ££££ (and still am) and only frequented this forum i would always go T5D5 and stir it up and ask question by a garage owner who shall remain unnamed, I would make all sorts of accusations get warnings from Ben, but after all i said and did, at the end of the day when my problems reared their head! he still helped me, and what I had said or where I came from did not matter one bit! So drop him a pm and see what he thinks?

Cheers Greg
    I Reckon I am Perilously close to 592 Bhp With all my non dangerous Mods

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GregE102 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th July 2013),graemewelch (Monday 29th July 2013),M-R-P (Monday 29th July 2013),Wobbly Dave (Monday 29th July 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dave,
    I run the TTV flywheel with an S60R clutch on an M66 gearbox, not had any issues. There is a noticeable rattle in the box at idle, and you can sometimes here a bit of back lash when you're at low engine speed and on/off the throttle, but it doesn't really bother me.
    The main reason I went down that route was I wanted a lightened flywheel to allow for a quicker response and also it made life easier mating a 850 engine to an M66 box.

One thing to note is the quality of the TTV flywheel, the machining is top notch, and when I balanced the engine before building it, the flywheel was perfectly balanced.

Finally, I get the impression that you're not confident to build this new engine yourself, so you're thinking of going to some pro engineering shops etc.. have you asked Tim if he could build you one? he's not that far away from you and with his vast Volvo knowledge he's bound to do a better job than the vast majority of places I would have thought. His builds are also well proven!

I'd offer to give you a hand but my first major rebuild is still only about 100 miles into it's testing phase, so want to prove it's a good job before offering to help anyone else
    Volvo T5 powered Vortex GTV Kit Car - www.vortex-auto.com
    19t, Forged Rods, NA Cams, AE pistons, Emerald ECU, TTV Flywheel, M66 gearbox.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I tell you what there is no helping some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
    I tell you what there is no helping some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do people talk in riddles the amount of time I scratch my head on here with wondering what some one is meaning its like ive got nits

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 4th August 2013),claymore (Sunday 4th August 2013)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Why do people talk in riddles the amount of time I scratch my head on here with wondering what some one is meaning its like ive got nits
    yep, I couldn't understand that post either?
    Last edited by claymore; Sunday 4th August 2013 at 21:43.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Deathrider is pointing WD in the direction of Tim, like the previous post's. Not a bad thing at all just some people attend different churches, im an athiest

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

deathrider311271 (Wednesday 14th August 2013),iancho (Wednesday 14th August 2013),Tomcat (Sunday 4th August 2013),Wobbly Dave (Sunday 4th August 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    hows the rebuild going. you decieded on a new plan of attack?
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Like your foot repair - Slowly.

I picked up the inspected head on Monday. There is a very slight burr on the contact patch which will disappear soon. I had them measure the number 2 rod big end which is defo oval now - so that will be going on the wall - or be made into next year's fastest Volvo trophy at York??

Massive thanks to Smiffy for sourcing the 1 spare rod I needed, by using his considerable influence.

The crank's been taken out the original engine & the rest sent to the scrapyard.

Just a case of trying to get the time & money together to get the shopping list done.

Not expecting to be back on the road anytime soon. I have a few things up my sleeve that I want to do - but I am not giving the game away just yet.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    sounds good, i cant wait, have you thought about running a external wastegate on your setup. its somthing im thinking about when i upgrade
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looks like its TRAX in Mrs Wobbly's car.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Looks like its TRAX in Mrs Wobbly's car.
    Wouldn't be the first time WD did trax in the S40

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    sounds good, i cant wait, have you thought about running a external wastegate on your setup. its somthing im thinking about when i upgrade
    I thought about it & considered it unnecessary. I'm not sure that I am going to run enough boost to warrant one - plus the extra plumbing would make revising back to an external gate expensive. If it was designed from the outset then perhaps it would have been viable.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Like your foot repair - Slowly.

I picked up the inspected head on Monday. There is a very slight burr on the contact patch which will disappear soon. I had them measure the number 2 rod big end which is defo oval now - so that will be going on the wall - or be made into next year's fastest Volvo trophy at York??

Massive thanks to Smiffy for sourcing the 1 spare rod I needed, by using his considerable influence.

The crank's been taken out the original engine & the rest sent to the scrapyard.

Just a case of trying to get the time & money together to get the shopping list done.

Not expecting to be back on the road anytime soon. I have a few things up my sleeve that I want to do - but I am not giving the game away just yet.
    Glad to see you've started the process of rebuilding it, does that mean I've got the fastest C70 at the moment. Along with the slowest S60R.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well I am done with taking anything else apart AFAIK.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Re ME7 Dave. Just look at the VAG stuff there is some mental B5 RS4's running the same ECU as your car.

It comes down to the mapping.

IMO, ME7 is far safer with it's wideband and component protection systems. You are limited to 1.55 bar of boost though.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Wednesday 14th August 2013)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Is the 1.55bar a limit set in the map or ECU?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    I went away from this thread feeling as there were vibes that you were giving up, now I am getting vibes that your getting stuck in so well done Dave, looking forward to reading your updates as things progress even if it takes a while it looks and sounds like bigger and better is theme to Betsy's revival

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Undoubtably the redevelopment will be slower, more cautious and yes there have been moments when looking at FHT C70s
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Undoubtably the redevelopment will be slower, more cautious and yes there have been moments when looking at FHT C70s
    Slow and steady wins the race

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Realising that my project thread had almost slipped out of mind, languishing in the irrelevant pages some where almost as obscure as Smithy's 940 rebuild, I figured a small update may be overdue.

More out of annoyance that this evening I discovered that using a TTV replacement for my DMF is a bad idea - because the sachs motorsport friction plate in my clutch has no damping and more than likely will end up tearing my gearbox limb from limb - I have the sad task of returning it or selling it on. Budgetary constraints dictate that it is not worth breaking the gearbox just for the sake of a few KGs. I'd have to change clutch - TBH something I am not keen to do knowing that the sachs performance version works very well.

The rest of the engine re-build is in quite a primative state, but there is a plan of action, including some of the following
    3 cut valves & seats
    gas flow, ported & polished head
    dynamically balance crank
    lower compression ratio
    bespoke cylinder shiming
    top secret cam redevelopment - I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you - and that could prove expensive.

I'm hoping that the engine may be ready before Xmas - fingers crossed.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Biff (Thursday 14th November 2013),claymore (Thursday 14th November 2013),Jamest5r (Thursday 14th November 2013),Nealevo (Thursday 14th November 2013)

Thread Information