Page 64 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2254
    Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    just a bit of suitable shim and some araldite or smiliar... simples

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    Lol, I certainly wouldn't use araldite, no you need to use JB Weld of the right grade that can withstand the heat.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    yep, that would do. I've got plenty if and when you need it.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Sunday 28th July 2013)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Saturday - I picked up my old engine which had been sitting out the back of HLM. I'd already had the sump off it due to a sump plug weep issue.

Had just a few hours spare today so I got both oil pumps off. I had a mare with one of the hex bolts holding the 2 halves together. In the end I had to cut a slot it in with a dremel grinding wheel & use an impact driver & a hammer to get it to budge. Really annoying when you have limited time. Anyway - I got to use the cleaning bath my wife bought me in 2011. Both have the metal caps as previously discussed - so I am not sure which I should use?

I've sort of got to a point where I am unsure how much more to do I need to remove the crank out of my old engine - if I do take the crank out of my dead new engine - what do I look for in the big end shells? Would now be the best time to throw the hole thing to an engineering firm/engine builder - so they can diagnose the faults?

Should I use my big red tank to clean the block up? Any cleaning tips would be appreciated.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Would now be the best time to throw the hole thing to an engineering firm/engine builder - so they can diagnose the faults?
    Yes IMHO. You've probably learnt a lot in the process and I certainly admire your efforts this far. My 850 is sat on the drive way with a blown engine, no way I'm even going to attempt it, but I know a man who is at the top of his game and once I've saved my pennies it will be straight to him on a trailer.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If your old Engine was working fine??? then I would use that! but only if it had no known problems?
    My T5 Engine came from an Auto T5 (so not had a hard life) as the other one had a rod go through the block, the serial numbers where taken from the crank to get the correct size shells, there was a 1000th of an inch skimmed of the liners and OS1 pistons fitted, China rods fitted, the head was ported and flowed, even the intake and outtake right through to the zorst, new valves re-ground and fitted, TTV fly wheel fitted VXR injectors and it's been fine ever since! touch wood!

I firmly believe you are throwing money away by keep going to engineering firms asking them to do this and that and commissioning them? As all businesses will take a persons money, You need to find one person not a firm, I am sure there are a few builders on here who could do a build all day long! rather than a Engineering firm or builder or you are going to spend a small fortune again, the recipe for a solid engine build with all sorts of power & turbo's has been posted time and time again over on T5D5 and they are still going strong today!

I think you should have a good read over on T5D5 and ask questions here and there before you part with anymore of your hard earned money and then make a discussion, as no one wants to see thing go wrong for you again Dave!

Cheers Greg
    I Reckon I am Perilously close to 592 Bhp With all my non dangerous Mods

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GregE102 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th July 2013),S70T5Chris (Monday 29th July 2013),T5frankie (Monday 29th July 2013)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    The old engine was using water & had shown that the H/G was on it's way (confirmed on a sniffer test). That doesn't matter so much to me.

My RCA is going nowhere - I am no closer to the truth about where the oil went. Turbo has a clean bill of health. The 2 oil pumps look identical & I still don't know if pushing on with ME7 will even work.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    The old engine was using water & had shown that the H/G was on it's way (confirmed on a sniffer test). That doesn't matter so much to me.

My RCA is going nowhere - I am no closer to the truth about where the oil went. Turbo has a clean bill of health. The 2 oil pumps look identical & I still don't know if pushing on with ME7 will even work.
    Sorry, RCA? What are your doubts about ME7?
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I am under some pressure to get the job finished by her indoors & then not touch it again for a long time. I can't give her any assurances. Perhaps the whole notion of pushing the 2319 this hard is flawed?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    Sorry, RCA? What are your doubts about ME7?
    Root cause analysis - something I have to deal with a lot in IT problem solving.

Doubts about the ME7 in terms of throttle response. I have to ask it & if the ECU on closed loop says it's not going there it can override me - at least that's what I think it does, which is not condusive to a decent 1/4.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Root cause analysis - something I have to deal with a lot in IT problem solving.

Doubts about the ME7 in terms of throttle response. I have to ask it & if the ECU on closed loop says it's not going there it can override me - at least that's what I think it does, which is not condusive to a decent 1/4.
    could this problem be programmed around ?, by the right person, obivously above my level at present

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    The whole purpose of the on-demand throttle is to make it smoother because the engine can control the phased cam timing, which if I understand it correctly alters the relative position of the exhaust cam.

Only way to program around it would be to go simpler. Delete the VVT cam & use a vernier pulley (which in itself is a compromise) and return to a manual cable throttle.

Simply means buying 850 which I'm not sure I want or preferably a 1998 C70 which are virtually impossible to find. The auto is not a problem because the gearbox swap would have to happen.

That's a lot of headaches & Wife-based grief just to set a time?

Other option is - I cut my losses now - sell up and move onto something else.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    dont quit dave. even if you had to bolt the subframe back on and get itback on its wheels and park up in the corner for a few months. if it was me in your position id be doing on of two things. it either be buying a engine stand and doing the work my self as and when feel like it. or bite the bullet and ask tim willams if hed be willing to rebuild and fit engine. with out doubt hes one of the most trusted people inthe world of volvos and he knolodge and experience will help you like no other can. youve gone to far to quit now.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th July 2013),partsforvolvos.com (Monday 29th July 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I can imagine how you feel Dave, maybe just speak to Tim (and a few others) and pick his brains on which way to head, I'm sure he'd give you 15 mins of his time.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Already have an engine stand, I don't have the precision engineering tools or experience to make this work.

I am more uncertain about the ME7 as a design - just like no-one would run a standard geartronic g/b to go down the drag strip either.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    The whole purpose of the on-demand throttle is to make it smoother because the engine can control the phased cam timing, which if I understand it correctly alters the relative position of the exhaust cam.

Only way to program around it would be to go simpler. Delete the VVT cam & use a vernier pulley (which in itself is a compromise) and return to a manual cable throttle.

Simply means buying 850 which I'm not sure I want or preferably a 1998 C70 which are virtually impossible to find. The auto is not a problem because the gearbox swap would have to happen.

That's a lot of headaches & Wife-based grief just to set a time?

Other option is - I cut my losses now - sell up and move onto something else.
    I was meaning to re-program the ecu to get around the bits you don't like and keeping what you do, as there appears to be knowledgeable people out there who are able to re-program the ME7 ecu, thus you don't need 850 throttlebodies and cables, pedal, harness etc

This user has no status

Thanks
    John (Dream3R) has been doing some ME7 programming. I don't know why you're worrying about vvt - it might make a 5% difference to the finished performance. Ignore the vvt. You just need control of throttle opening, fuelling, boost and spark advance. The "point" of ME7 is emissions control and engine protection.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Already have an engine stand, I don't have the precision engineering tools or experience to make this work.

I am more uncertain about the ME7 as a design - just like no-one would run a standard geartronic g/b to go down the drag strip either.
    befor you get to far into the build again id be speaking to the likes of shark performance and see what they say about mapping this kind of management. ask as many question to as many people who have the proven knolodge of these systems and builds. i know nowt about ME7 so thats about the only advise i can offer.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thread Information