Join Today
Page 10 of 113 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    its the same one shown in the YouTube vid - >>Google Shopping<< it has a blue & yellow front.

So easy to use. Yes there is a small time lag in the app/network connection - but the gauges all have peak reading indicators so you can always review. I have yet to explore the data log & graphing tech yet - but it is coming straight from the ECU - so there is no doubt to the accuracy - as this is what the car is seeing.

Haven't used the fault codes.

My adaptor also came with CD rom software to install into you laptop (yet to be explored).

Avon park did not mind me having the sucker mounted phone holder either & even if they did I could run the app with the phone in the glove box. I don't actually need to see the numbers.

App also allows you to set up car profiles so that you can put in Kerbside weight etc & it will calculate power figures, 0-60 times & 1/4 mile. For now I will use book figures - 1435KG plus 100KG for the Wobble Meister

It also has fault code reading capabilities.

Raw data screen shows all the numeric telemetry even though the text is a tad small. Units can be changed to suit.
    IATs, Boost, MAF, Timing adv - too many to list.

Perhaps a wired connection would be quicker? but the bluetooth is hassle free.

First proper test will be on 21st at Santa Pod.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice one. I need to get an Android phone. Published weights may be unreliable - I took mine to a weighbridge and got 1740kg (accurate to within 10kg) with me in it (75kg). Thats significantly more than quoted elsewhere. My local council refuse facility have the nearest weighbridge and it's worth tracking yours down if you are going to use the "road dyno" part of the software.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks
    Bought one that look exactly the same off ebay for about £13, it works although not too well with torque dunno whether its my phone or the adaptor. it was telling me i was boosting to 1.4 bar when my boost gauge was reading 0.7. The car hasn't been mapped so one of them is wrong lol.

Know what u mean about the arm rest though. Oh and don't start the car with the adaptor plugged in mine throws a paddy and won't start for 5 mins.
    Currently driving a BMW 318 because it was cheap

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well I have had a right battle to get the glued part of the pipe to work. I used araldite & 4mm pop rivets to support the glue & it was still pushing out some oil. So it has come off again & this time I have melted the join together using a soldering iron. If it were not for the bloody sensors I would use a 70 - 60 right angle reducer in silicon & a straight alu pipe (both of which I have). Getting a precise seal on the sensor holes without being able to use some form of welding - I am not that confident of its longevity. I think we will be on either the original setup or version 4 before long.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Gearbox has gone tits up again. I am sending it back but will still have to pay for the drop/refit.

Is this to be 3rd time lucky. I cannot recommend CTS (www.gearboxman.co.uk) but cannot afford to go down another supplier route. HLM will do the drop refit work.

I would advise all to steer clear based on the quality of the work done. It is warrantied but I wish I'd stayed more local.

On a brighter note - before this occurred - we have been fettling the car at HLM & was able to produce another 7 horsepower - 312 BHP in the end (30th July 2011) - however we have made a significant torque increase across the board.

The red line was made last October at the RR day.
    The blue line (312) was just the map alone (1.2 bar)
    The green line was with 1/4 turn on a bleed valve fitted that day (then removed later). It made 1.4 bar on this run but Hamish & I both felt it was too much for an old engine & would only end in tears.

Significant amount of torque has resulted in a much faster 2nd gear & car is fierce!

I was going to keep this a secret until the Pod results came in but the busted G/B has pretty much put paid to that.

I was hoping to shave half a second off my season's best of 14.6 at 103.

I was pleased to see that the AFR was steady at 12.7 & that the AIT did not rise above 37 degrees (17 above the ambient, which was 20 that day).

I hope that once the gearbox is sorted again that she will put in a good performance at Silverstone.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    To gain the 40 NM for 1000 revs I don't think would sit well for longevity - but it is an interesting exercise to see if the ME7 would sustain without fault the use of a bleed valve.

All runs BTW were done in 4th gear.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks
    Looking good mate apart from your gearbox woes, certainly producing a fair old bit of power keep up the good work
    Currently driving a BMW 318 because it was cheap

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave86 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 9th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    nice and that is what you need in 2nd gear and 3rd just need to learn how to drive it and control the power now.nice work hamish and dave.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Gearbox has gone tits up again. I am sending it back but will still have to pay for the drop/refit.

Is this to be 3rd time lucky. I cannot recommend CTS (www.gearboxman.co.uk) but cannot afford to go down another supplier route. HLM will do the drop refit work.

I would advise all to steer clear based on the quality of the work done. It is warrantied but I wish I'd stayed more local.

On a brighter note - before this occurred - we have been fettling the car at HLM & was able to produce another 7 horsepower - 312 BHP in the end (30th July 2011) - however we have made a significant torque increase across the board.

The red line was made last October at the RR day.
    The blue line (312) was just the map alone (1.2 bar)
    The green line was with 1/4 turn on a bleed valve fitted that day (then removed later). It made 1.4 bar on this run but Hamish & I both felt it was too much for an old engine & would only end in tears.

Significant amount of torque has resulted in a much faster 2nd gear & car is fierce!

I was going to keep this a secret until the Pod results came in but the busted G/B has pretty much put paid to that.

I was hoping to shave half a second off my season's best of 14.6 at 103.

I was pleased to see that the AFR was steady at 12.7 & that the AIT did not rise above 37 degrees (17 above the ambient, which was 20 that day).

I hope that once the gearbox is sorted again that she will put in a good performance at Silverstone.
    excellent Dave if a little sneaky lol although still down on torque compared to mine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about that Dave, but another car breaks after being on the rollers, i am sure you will have good after care though.. the manual boxes are normally very tough on these cars..

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    What have Gearboxman been doing - just supplying a refurbed box or fitting your diff? Is it time to ask them for a refund or payment towards the drop/refit?

Nice to see you working on that map - it's hard to know whether the extra torque would significantly shorten the engine/transmission life. Exposure to "hard driving" will for sure - it's how the extra lbft are used I suspect that determines wear/failure.

The torque spike with the bleed valve is not desirable - if you want to run 1.4 bar then the ECU/BCS needs to be in control. That increase in torque should be running out to ~5000 rpm but the ECU is expecting 1.2 bar and seeing 1.4 - I suspect the ECU is pulling timing and thats why the increase is transient. Interesting experiment though. I have used an MBC to limit boost when my BCS has been playing up but not the other way around (in parallel with the BCS).

Nice IAT's - the intercooler seems happy even on a dyno.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    What is happening to your gearbox to make the noise?

and what are they going to do to fix it?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Dave, but another car breaks after being on the rollers, i am sure you will have good after care though.. the manual boxes are normally very tough on these cars..

Gary
    just to get the time line straight - the gearbox breakdown & the dyno run were not related in any way.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Tuesday 9th August 2011),The Flying Moose (Tuesday 9th August 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    just to get the time line straight - the gearbox breakdown & the dyno run were not related in any way.
    As far as the gearbox goes I have contacted the OFT and will follow their guidelines & due process within the bounds of consumer law. I will make best efforts to recover consequential losses & give the service provider the opportunity to fix the fault.

Jardon - I paid for a refurb & LSD fitting. The March selector fork fault was resolved. This new issue is a different problem. HLM recon a bearing has failed or is faulty. I have spoken to CTS and they have agreed to take the box back.

The strip has begun today. There will be a delay as I need to get a letter to them detailing what I expect them to do.

I just want what I paid for in the first place.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Tuesday 9th August 2011 at 21:22.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    What have Gearboxman been doing - just supplying a refurbed box or fitting your diff? Is it time to ask them for a refund or payment towards the drop/refit?

Nice to see you working on that map - it's hard to know whether the extra torque would significantly shorten the engine/transmission life. Exposure to "hard driving" will for sure - it's how the extra lbft are used I suspect that determines wear/failure.

The torque spike with the bleed valve is not desirable - if you want to run 1.4 bar then the ECU/BCS needs to be in control. That increase in torque should be running out to ~5000 rpm but the ECU is expecting 1.2 bar and seeing 1.4 - I suspect the ECU is pulling timing and thats why the increase is transient. Interesting experiment though. I have used an MBC to limit boost when my BCS has been playing up but not the other way around (in parallel with the BCS).

Nice IAT's - the intercooler seems happy even on a dyno.
    I wouldn't want to run that much boost on a old unforged engine - it was just an experiment. It wasn't so much a spike more a bubble & yes I was very happy with the AIT & AFRs - its a great map - smooth powerful & prolonged.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Feel for you Dave - are these boxes rebuildable? I'm not aware that new parts are available. A good known used one may be another option if Gearboxman are struggling. The tolerances on bearings and gear mesh are critical and swapping gear sets between casings may not be successful. Was the noise related to wheel speed or engine speed?

Maybe the long term plan could involve a fresher engine or forged rebuild? Note I say long term. A stock engine and transmission will sustain 500nm and I'd bet even more if not too low down - probably the sensible max for a 19t.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Tuesday 9th August 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well during the 2nd rebuild during March/April - he had 2 boxes to work from to make 1 good one. Bearing should be available & should have been replaced if worn. That's what I paid for.
    In any case if it was not possible to do the work under warranty then he should have said. Any way that is not my concern.

The 1982 Sales of Goods & Services act - says "Reasonable skill & care". I will follow the guidelines & the protocols of the act to seek a suitable resolution. Whilst this is frustrating I cannot afford to abandon the gearbox.

I am not sure about forging a new engine. I have just bought S40 for Ellen. I may be able to save enough to get a new engine but without spending 7 - 8K on a proper race engine I think it will be difficult to achieve a good enough return.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Tuesday 9th August 2011 at 23:14.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Well during the 2nd rebuild during March/April - he had 2 boxes to work from to make 1 good one. Bearing should be available & should have been replaced if worn. That's what I paid for.
    In any case if it was not possible to do the work under warranty then he should have said. Any way that is not my concern.

The 1982 Sales of Goods & Services act - says "Reasonable skill & care". I will follow the guidelines & the protocols of the act to seek a suitable resolution. Whilst this is frustrating I cannot afford to abandon the gearbox.

I am not sure about forging a new engine. I have just bought S40 for Ellen. I may be able to save enough to get a new engine but without spending 7 - 8K on a proper race engine I think it will be difficult to achieve a good enough return.
    Sorry to hear about your gearbox woes wobbly, but nice figures on the rollers

You dont need to spend 7-8k for a decent engine...1k for rods/pistions, 1k for the work/belts/etc/etc simples

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    So if I pass you a 2nd hand engine & 2K you'd be able to make one? Hmm - I am a bit skeptical. Who you using for that?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    So if I pass you a 2nd hand engine & 2K you'd be able to make one? Hmm - I am a bit skeptical. Who you using for that?
    Easily for 2k Dave, damn you could have the thing removed, rebuilt and re-fitted for 2k.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Thread Information