Join Today
Page 100 of 113 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2254
    855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Funnily I changed, shock legs, wishbones, drop links, krust and underseal the wheel arches without the need to fiddle with the brakes or remove driveshafts.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 28th April 2015),Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 28th April 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I bought my Silver C70 T5 9 years ago in April/May 2006 - so I am not new to this game - like anyone would need telling that. For 6 years (basically from box to bin) I ran a TD04-19T on that car with varied success. Since the end of 2012 I've been pushing the envelope with this GTX garrett conversion project.

Lets face it - I haven't been very successful with it to date. Span a shell on the 1st engine within 6 months in 2013 and last year the Garrett managed separated the block from the head.

I was hopeful that the damage was limited to just the headbolts. I got a set of ARP headbolts and have duly been trying to rebuild.

So after a quick wash and refuel - I had high hopes last Saturday that the leak free engine was going to be ok.

So after initial DTC resolution (new coil packs on 3 & 5) I went out for a run. It was enough to know that the engine is not good. I emptied the expansion tank of water twice on a short 3 mile run.

You can see here before I went out on the shakedown run that not all was well. Well it only got worse.

I ran a sniffer test (to see if there were combustion gases in the water). This was negative.

Turns out that through either miscommunication or assumption the refitted head wasn't checked (pressure tested), prior to re-assembly.

I think it is fairly safe to assume that with the age of the turbo (virtually new) and the fact that when the water feed was temporarily clamped, it made no difference to the water consumption that the head is cracked. On the bright side the bottom end seems sound enough.

So what now. Well I am obviously very disappointed with the outcome. This stuff has kept me awake for 2 nights already this week.

My situation is that I have very little spare cash due to the Euro downturn since last Nov (damned Greeks), a dying mother on the IoW, busy home life with 4 girls all under 3 y/o. The resulting lack of time plus a few issues with the house that need resolving, means time to work on the SSB is very limited too. I promised to take my family away on holiday this summer - breaks have been few and far between.
    I can no longer keep the C70 out of the way at HLM, plus it is too far away to work on. I know that Hamish is not keen to work on it, plus he has no employees to assist. At the same time I don't want to admit defeat and despite Hamish's insistence that this will never work. So on the one hand I have a car that has been pretty unreliable for the last 2 and a bit years, I know my wife doesn't believe in it - I sit here trying to answer the question - "When did I last enjoy it?".

The issue is that I am not certain the project is sustainable or reliable enough with the current design. Clearly the turbo is capable of tearing the engine to bits. It has long since stopped being a car I could use regularly because I don't want to use up the mileage on knife-edge reliability.

The options are
    Break the car for bits. Recovery of costs but fundamentally heartbreaking.
    Sell as a whole/going concern. Unlikely to achieve anything like what it is worth in parts, particularly in a broken state.
    Stick a sheet over it on the driveway. Limited tolerance from her indoors, but at least I could work on it.
    Find a sympathetic mechanic to help get her up and running again. Expensive.

I am finding it very hard to give this up, but on the other hand does it really add up to a hill of beans. Will anyone give 2 hoots if I beat Dean or not? But there again does any of this matter??

Even if I fix it - will it tear itself apart again - or more over how long will it take to tear itself apart? Is the design fundamentally flawed?

I've looked long and hard for something I could get interested in and either it is too expensive (I don't really want to take on any more credit commitments ATM) or just not floating my boat.

I am fairly settled on not giving up just yet, but with all of this ^^^ bombing around my head every night - no small wonder I am not getting much sleep. I appreciate anyone taking the time given the length of this post
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Friday 15th May 2015 at 00:59.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 15th May 2015),Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),martin_r_smith (Saturday 16th May 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Most immediate issue is I have maybe 2 weeks tops to get the SSB moved to a new location. I'd rather not waste money moving it more than once. I think bringing it home is most likely.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I sympathise fella, its no fun driving a car you don't trust, especially if you've poured your heart, soul & most of the contents of your wallet into it. Have you thought about just returning it to standard? Remove your lump & custom DP & just drop in a standard t5 lump & DP [and probably the ecu]. Relatively inexpensive & at least the car will drive whilst you sort out the modified lump as & when funds allow - plus its easier to store an engine rather than a whole car

I wish you well which ever way you go but try to resist breaking it if you can, I think you may regret it further down the road...but sometimes needs must

All the best, Morgan

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Wow, Dave. I really feel for you mate. We've sat on different sides of the fence on occasion over the last 10+ years, but the fact is we have know each other for quite some time now and it was actually quite hard to read what you put above, quite saddening.

First things first. As much as we all absolutely love our cars, and it is incredibly heartbreaking when they go bad (I've been there), it's just a thing. We all deserve and need our hobbies and interests, we work hard for it, but if something is dragging you down to the point where you're not sleeping, hemorrhaging money and feeling like you do, maybe it's time to pull the plug. At least for a while. Cover it up and forget it for 6 months.

And don't be daft enough to worry about the expectations of everyone. Whether it's running well or not, whether you're faster than Dean or not, whether your driving the 400bhp monster everyone would want or not... It's hard I know, I've been there. But in the grand scheme of things it all means nothing mate, and no-one will think any less of you.

If there was any way I could help, I would and I really mean that. I'm fortunate enough that I have Tim, I just hand the car to him and he does what I need, and he's never let me down in fact he has gone way above and beyond on many occasions. Without him I wouldn't be where I am now and that is a fact. I don't know if Tim is your answer? I don't know if there is too much water under the bridge, or it just wouldn't be a viable option for him to inherit such a job, or viable for yourself?

I don't know what the answer is Dave, but moth balling it and walking away for a while sounds sensible to me. Forget the car, get your sanity back and then decide down the road how you want to continue.

All the best with what ever you decide.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Dream3r (Friday 15th May 2015),Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),t5 pete (Friday 15th May 2015),Wobbly Dave (Friday 15th May 2015),WOODY T5 (Friday 15th May 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Chris I appreciate your thoughts.

Does anyone actually believe it will work or is this just some stupid pipe dream. I've had the "300 bhp car" for 6 years (& I confess I got a little bored). In hindsight perhaps this last adventure is flawed? But the 19T was shot - all used up - and the old engine was beginning to chew water. So either it was time to quit or time to push on.

I think now I would only push on further with a re-think on the whole design. 1.7bar is from experience perhaps too knife-edge?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Friday 15th May 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Chris I appreciate your thoughts.

Does anyone actually believe it will work or is this just some stupid pipe dream. I've had the "300 bhp car" for 6 years (& I confess I got a little bored). In hindsight perhaps this last adventure is flawed? But the 19T was shot - all used up - and the old engine was beginning to chew water. So either it was time to quit or time to push on.

I think now I would only push on further with a re-think on the whole design. 1.7bar is from experience perhaps too knife-edge?
    It's not a pipe dream Dave. What you are after is quite achievable, it just needs the guidance of someone who knows what they are doing and how to get the best out of what you've got, not wishing to sound disrespectful to yourself, Hamish and others for where it's at right now. I have the utmost respect for the way you tackle a lot of the jobs yourself, I wouldn't know where to start. And it's not like you've skimped on cheap parts!

I don't think 1.7bar is high at all, let a lone knife edge for the turbo you've got.

Mapping is one of the biggest issues you face I think. Finding someone competent to cover that base would be the first bridge to cross I think.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),mitchyboy01 (Friday 15th May 2015),Wobbly Dave (Friday 15th May 2015)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Gutted to hear that news mate, I also have known you a fair amount of years now and we've had some great weekend's of racing, beer and banter . By reading the above post is it solely the wanting of a new head that's now delaying the completion? if so I'm sure we could source one for you get Tim to fit it together and onto shark for mapping, i know it sounds simple when written like that and in reality it is funds allowing but don't give up mate.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 15th May 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I don't feel ready to give up, Jim just yet. There is a selfish core that says - how quick can I fix up the house issues so I can get back to getting it right? and feel quite guilty about it.

I miss the racing and the banter very much indeed, but without something vaguely competitive, what's the point of showing up. I've never been a good spectator.

For the very reason that you shouldn't be using a FWD Volvo on a drag strip, is the perverse reason for doing just that.
    If I was to get into the 12s then would it matter? Probably not.

Here Lies David Palmer
    Born 11.02.1972 Died XX.XX.20XX
    Husband to Ellen
    Father to 4 Daughters Erica, Zoe, Megan and Lydia
    12.62 sec @ 115.4 MPH - Told you it would work!
    Rest In Peace

Maybe I should alter my will now?

Certainly don't want the SSB to become grounds for divorce and Ellen in her good grace has said that she will not make me get rid.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),martin_r_smith (Saturday 16th May 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My 2 cents worth....

Family is the most important thing, and from what you've said I'm amazed your managing to get by as it is, without car commitments! I find life draining enough with just one toddler! So put yourself and your family first, draw a line under it and move on. Bring it home, break it, make the most money you can, enjoy life for a while and move on to a new project some time in the future when circumstances are better.

I've a 205 GTI in my garage that's sat doing nothing for years. I've never enjoyed (had 3 before it that were great) it even before it was taken off the road, it's been a ball and chain around my ankle for years. I hate the bloody thing, but at the same time I can't bare to see it sold for peanuts. It's always a difficult decision when you've got so much time, money, love (or all 3) invested in a car, but some times you just have to sever the ties. I'm probably about 99% of the way to making that choice too.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Just spend some time away from the car dave while doing the house and come back with a fresh mind and eager to get it right as said above I would seriously get in touch with Tim regarding it he's certainly pushing the boundaries with his set up and it's working he has some great knoledge of these engines and what works.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I am talking to Tim on T5D5 - I hope to put it to one side and crack on with the house for now.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Easy to say, but...is it not just a case of sticking that head on it from Barnsley Bill, getting it custom mapped + adding a dash of nitrous then 12's here we come? Family comes first of course though, esp when someone is ill (sorry to hear that). As Chris & Peter said maybe step away from it a little. 400 hp is still a good achievement though IMO.

The roller coaster that is the Oil & gas industry should be picking up at some point, maybe next year.
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Friday 15th May 2015 at 19:28.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    How much needs doing to the house Dave, is it just a case of a bunch of us descend on your house one Saturday, and do a D.I.Y. S.O.S. sort of job? If so, I'd gladly lend a hand, then once the house is sorted, you'll have more time for the family, and SSB.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Friday 15th May 2015),Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),jamesy12345 (Friday 15th May 2015),t5 pete (Friday 15th May 2015)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    How much needs doing to the house Dave, is it just a case of a bunch of us descend on your house one Saturday, and do a D.I.Y. S.O.S. sort of job? If so, I'd gladly lend a hand, then once the house is sorted, you'll have more time for the family, and SSB.
    Not a bad idea, I can make tea !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    That's a very good idea Steve, I'm in and I'm sure Pete (master builder)would come down and Ellen and the kid's could stay at mine for the weekend while it's sorted.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

stribo (Friday 15th May 2015),Wobbly Dave (Friday 15th May 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Really sorry to read this Dave.
    Completely understand where you are coming from with the family & low on time. I have 1 child so I don't know how you cope with your tribe.
    If your lucky enough to have a daily I think your mad to get rid, in fact I think you would regret it when your wallet is flush & the kids have grown up a bit. Surely it's worth the ear bashing off the wife for a bit to get it sorted even if it's back on the 19t.
    Problem is it will always find the week spots & will make it unreliable.
    Me personally would want it reliable & putting a smile back on my face.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015)

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Dave - remember my 850 hasn't been on the road since 2006!!! I'm not giving up on it yet.. Maybe Tim is the way to go, maybe not.... But don't stress... Switch off.... Walk away for a while and don't even consider doing anything..... and if in the end it never gets done........ So what!!!! It was fun whilst it lasted.

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 15th May 2015),smithy (Saturday 16th May 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your kind words. I am going to get the SSB transported to home.

As a family we do have a daily runner - many of you saw it at the last Shropshire meet. So the SSB can remain parked up - so there is no great rush to get the SSB back up and running. I am more worried that Dean will get bored and sell up.

I need to get the damp thing sorted. I've got a builder coming to look in a couple of weeks. The big headache is the artexing. Whole house is covered in it, save the bathroom & Kitchen and Ellen wants it gone. Not something that can be resolved in a weekend. Salting under the artex has pushed & cracked it off in places.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Friday 15th May 2015 at 22:58.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    maf = underscaled load = huge timing and knock on your aet map....

log it properly you will see, good luck

Thread Information