Join Today

Thread: Post Rica MPG

This user has no status

Thanks

Question Post Rica MPG

Hi,

I'm seriously considering a 310hp Rica upgrade in the near future for my S60 T5 (which I have had for about a month now).
    It has 47000 miles on it and is just over 3 years old. - So I'm assuming it is running pretty good (just had 48k service also).
    I tend to do about 30000 miles a year in my cars, my average MPG in the T5 at the moment is 28 at an average speed of 40 according to the computer (pretty good??) - using Optimax.
    I have heard that the upgrade can increase fuel economy (i.e. reduce consumption) which, as I do so many miles, appeals to me.
    I feel the car could do with a bit more power but for me the economy (in this car at least - it's my daily driver!) is just as important.

Has anyone on here had a stage 1 Rica performed on a similar car and had an increase in MPG?

Hope you can help.

Sean

This user has no status

Thanks
    I recently had the 310 upgrade to my C70 T5 and to be honest I havent noticed any real difference, although my driving style has probably changed a little bit :> I'm averaging about 25K a year mostly long motorway/dual miles I definately havent noticed the economy being worse although I dont think there is enough of a difference in it to say its any better especially with the price difference bewteen 95 and 97 I dont think its any cheaper to run, there is a noticable difference in having lower revs when cruzin not much but a little.

Driving away from VT you do get a BIG SMILE and wonder why you hadnt done it sooner worth every single penny, dont try and justify it with extra economy because you wont get any.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Ted,

I wasn't trying to justify it, I just didn't want a dramatic change - if it costs me the same to run, that's fine. - What's your average MPG with that sort of mileage per year?

I used to have a C70 a few years back - loved it and was tempted to get another instead of the S60, but need something a bit more practical as a daily driver (folding rear seats etc - sad but true!!!).

Anyone else??

Sean
    Last edited by GUMBALL; Tuesday 14th June 2005 at 15:57.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's no better than when it was stock on my 855 and quite possibly worse when driven. I couldn't honestly say to someone that it makes a frequency difference at the pump as any improvement is so small you'd get down to the bottom of the tank + just a little more than normal and so you'd still have to fill it up, so the freqeuncy of fills is just the same. The difference in the amount you put in would only add up if you do mega miles and you never tap into that extra RICA power. That's something I regularly fail to do. This is for my old, high-miler car. Might be different for your S60 but then again maybe not (an engine is an engine afterall). So drive it super sensible and you might get better econ, but why do that when it's been RICAd?! In my humble opinion, the whole better economy thing is just a convenient way to convince yourself into an upgrade. Do it! No-one is ever disappointed. And all that extra power makes for safer over-taking, right? LOL!

Martin
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    Martin,

It's the "safer" overtaking that I really want it for (more 'spirited' driving means I take out one of my other cars - "just for fun").
    I do tend to sit at (reasonably sensible) cruising speeds for long distances too (which pushes my economy up quite a bit).

Sean

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    You might get another 1 mpg I reckon but not much more
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    To be honest I dont know what my mpg is really somewhere around the 25ish I think, I dont have one of the compooters to tell me how far i've gone or what my average is I know I get somewhere around 350ish to a tank before fill ups.
    I know what you mean about the seats when I do have passengers they grow old waiting for the electric seats to come forward and the loading space is dreadfull, if I was going for another Volvo (which I might do at some point) I think its probably going to be an S60.

Oh I dont know if things are as bad in the S60 as they are in the C70 but a Strut brace is a very good purchase after the RICA.

Hey Pzorb nice to see someone else into CS Source
    Last edited by TedBovis; Tuesday 14th June 2005 at 16:25.

This user has no status

Thanks
    At least no one is coming back and saying "I get 5-10 mpg less now" - which is what I was concerned about, as I get, what I consider to be, very good mileage at the moment.

Sean

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GUMBALL
    Martin,

It's the "safer" overtaking that I really want it for (more 'spirited' driving means I take out one of my other cars - "just for fun").
    I do tend to sit at (reasonably sensible) cruising speeds for long distances too (which pushes my economy up quite a bit).

Sean
    This does beg the question of what the hell are your other cars?

OK OK, I know there *are* cars out there that are more fun but not all that many within a reasonable price range. The T5 has the best balance between fun, safety, practicality, comfort and price and personally I don't think anything matches it when all five factors are taken into consideration.

Yes, no doubt a Ferrari is a blast but try sticking your kids in the back (and what about that price tag?).

Yes, a Lotus Elise is fun but where's the luxury or practicality (plus, it's only got a Rover K series 1.8 litre engine in - give me the VX220 Turbo anyday)?

Regards

Andy

This user has no status

Thanks
    Andy,

I totally agree with you that the T5s are one of the best "packages" available and reasonably priced too - which is why I bought one!
    "For fun" I have a Dax Cobra running a 430hp Chevy engine (weighs just over a ton - the car not the engine!) totally impractical (which is why I have it!) and no modern comforts (is a heater modern??). Lots of the guys in the Cobra Replica club run Volvos (T5s and others) for their daily drivers.

Sean

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I get 27-30 on a long run, if I dont boot it - which I have to say takes some restraint on my part.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    been running mine for over a year rica'd and done over 40K since rica all optimax.

MPG has gone up by between 0.5 and 1 mpg for same driving style.

Now get around 29.5 on a steady motorway cruise used to get around 28.7.

Best ever was 34mpg at a steady 50 or so on A roads going to norfolk.

I managed to convince myself to get rica for fuel consumption reasons, but hey I was only kidding myself we all know its for the extra kick you get.

Its definately worth it if you want a car that will shame Porsche Boxsters (the S model included).

And around 30 mpg aint bad for such a car!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Phil,

I know the roads to Norfolk you mean e.g. A140 - short bursts to overtake, then sit at steady speeds behind someone else for next 5 miles (not to mention speed restrictions down to 30mph and associated speed cameras at the Ipswich end!)

Sean

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    i think its down how you drive, if you boot it hard, compare the fuel con, the upgraded car is going to be worse, cos higher boost, means more fuel pumped into the engine, therefore more power, therefore worse fuel con!

dave

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phil
    Its definately worth it if you want a car that will shame Porsche Boxsters (the S model included).
    funny you should mention it, gave a wee shock to a boxter today, i must have put about 20cars between us, from 30 to 70.

i was in front, so got the jump on him, also dont think he was expecting it, he did try to catch up, but time he had got his box.. wind up, i was back on the brakes again, he did have a big sheepish grin on his face, when next to him at roundabout futher up the road

i think if he had been ready for me, he would have stood better chance

the s60 R from the back just looks like any volvo s60, which gives me that sleath image, more chance!

dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had a boxster S fair and square away from the lights, i was on inside, to go straight ahead, minding my own business, he pulled along side and as it goes 2 lanes into one after a hundred metres or so, he obviously thinking I'll just nail this old volvo and jump the queue.

Light turns green and I just let him go, then think why not, so nail it, he was about 3/4 car length up when i put my foot down, by end of second gear I was 1/2 car length up on him and he was trying, could hear his engine above mine screaming, (makes a nice noise). Anyway I then backed of to let him in as otherwise he would have been hung out to dry.

Was quite suprised as there supposed to be 5.7secs to 60 cars. He was 2 up though!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Gumball

Dont know the roads but going to a near Southwold. I was going on hols with family so taking it very easy, not even overtaking, hence great fuel consumption.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm averaging 25.6 at present, much town work, but the occasional bit of fun, ( like today, finally qualifying for membership of the HPC.) Only managed 14.5 around Bruntingthorpe tho'. This with the 280 BHP Rica, running on 95 RON. Definitely no worse than befor the upgrade.
    Cheers, Chris.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Maybe 2mph gain but probably due to increased torque therefore not having to change down so often.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I get about 1mpg better average with RICA - driving style is the same, some cruising, some blasting, some town, some motorway.

Thread Information