Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Tearing my hair out - TYRES!

I've an 855 t5s fitted with (second set now) titan wheels.

So far this months I've gone through 6 new tyres. They keep just going flat.
    A couple of the rims are fairly well ££££ed now as with that profile (215x40xr17) you just don't notice they're flat til you start driving on them.

The exact same thing happened with my first set of titans (about 2 years ago?)

Has anybody else had this problem? I don't know if I've got some little scrote who's just got something against my car or what.

I do occasionally have to bump the car (ever so gently - when you've gone through as many tyres as I have it's done with a heavy heart!) up onto the curb as I live in a narrow street...

Would anybody like to swap a set of regular 16" alloys and wheels (or even maybe steelies) for a full set (5x) of titans in varying state of repair? (They were beautiful when I bought them off here for £300 - polished black) - it's driving me bonkers!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oddjones View Post
    I've an 855 t5s fitted with (second set now) titan wheels.

So far this months I've gone through 6 new tyres. They keep just going flat.
    A couple of the rims are fairly well ££££ed now as with that profile (215x40xr17) you just don't notice they're flat til you start driving on them.

The exact same thing happened with my first set of titans (about 2 years ago?)

Has anybody else had this problem? I don't know if I've got some little scrote who's just got something against my car or what.

I do occasionally have to bump the car (ever so gently - when you've gone through as many tyres as I have it's done with a heavy heart!) up onto the curb as I live in a narrow street...

Would anybody like to swap a set of regular 16" alloys and wheels (or even maybe steelies) for a full set (5x) of titans in varying state of repair? (They were beautiful when I bought them off here for £300 - polished black) - it's driving me bonkers!
    tbh mate that sounds as you say a scrote doing something to it or the inner beads on the rims are ££££ed mate ???? who are fitting the tyres and have they checked the beads on the rims and how long before they are going flat ???? never had any issues with my R mate with volans and never heard anybody having issues like yours with titans

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have wheels been checked in a water bath, good chance that its the alloy gone porus or as Wayne says, rather than the tyres, although running flat tyres will tend to kill tyres in any case

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

T5ER (Wednesday 16th December 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    get 4 tins of tyre weld, that will seal the tyres and rims, if they still go flat my money is on someone damaging your tyres.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's potholes.

Funny, I remember just last night turning into the road round the corner, and hearing a crash like somebody'd hit the wheel with a sledgehammer - I even said to my wife (in jest) "I bet that's another tyre gone" - you'd think I'd remember, but the car has lowered suspension and crashes if you drive over a leaf. There are potholes like that all round where I live (lots of unadopted roads) and the more I think about it, the more times I remember hitting them...

So, I'm looking out for a set of standard 16" T5 rims... Anybody?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi have had a tyre gom down for no reason striaght after fitment, resulting in as said before in this post that the bead has not been applied correctly, however to get through so many tyres, you must ask the question did you go to the same place all the time? If so they are doing something wronge, or maybe due to cracked and peeling paint on the rim, air might be leaking out.

If so then a refurb might be an option. With those rare titans, they are worth the refurb. Alternatively, you could look for a set of newer style wheels, I think they use the same 5 * 108 stud pattern.

Get another opinion from a tyre place. I usually get my tyres fitted and refurbs done at Jeffery's Tyres in Bromesgrove, they are good lads.

Hope all goes well with the hunt.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's not all the same place - I've been to 3 places now. Anybody know of any perfo's going begging?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I had the same thing a bit ago, i took it to the local tyre place and they took all the tyres off, got a dremmel with a wire brush attachment and went around the inside of the rim, they then put the tyre back on the wheel but not before pasting some black sticky really thick stuff round the rim before sealing them.

I never had a puncture since, the paint around the rims had flaked off allowing the air to get out.

Just a suggestion matey

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks

Ahhh! That's better

Got m'self a set of 15" standard volvo alloys (dunno what type - they're 6 spoke) with big fat old 195x65x15 tyres for £60 the set, with tyres offa eBay. It's great! Stoopid I know, but I can now float over potholes and bounce up onto curbs with gay abandon!

My T5-R spec volvo is getting less and less radical with every "modification" I make - The fat tyres actually fill the wheelarches better than the 215x40's and the way the wheels hug tight to the vented disks looks pretty cool to my (obviously pretty warped) eyes.

I'm quite liking the "Q car" effect - that nobody actually gives the car a second glance now til it's already too late - and of course the fact that it no longer rattles the fillings out of my teeth is a total bonus ;-) The tyres actually give the car a much smoother ride - I can only assume it was set up on 16 or 15's when it was first specced (The car was volvo UK's T5 press demonstrator and the suspension is way lower and harder than my T5-R's ever was)

Gonna get the titans refurbed at my leisure and use them for my "summer wheels".

Only slight issue I have is that the big shiny chrome wheelnuts that came with the titans are too long to allow me to fit the central disc to the wheel which covers the wheelnuts - cheapest source for regular wheelnuts would be?
    Last edited by oddjones; Monday 21st December 2009 at 22:45.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    good you got the new wheels sorted,.shame about the titans. wish id seen this other night ive got a spare set of wheels around here somewhere in liverpool would have offerd you the swap haha

good luck with them anyhow mate

if you looking for regular wheel nuts id try find a breakers or scrappy with volvo in,. seen a couple in the past down the dock road, might get lucky?
    Past
    95 854 2.5 10v with b5254t conversion...RIP,
    96 850 awd...cut up RIP,
    95 965 manual!..parted out,
    94 855 T5 green..scrapped RIP,
    94 855 T5 red..heart lives on body RIP,
    03 S60 D5 sold
    94 855 glt 2.5 10v white parted out RIP
    97 V70 AWD parted out RIP
    Present
    93 854glt 2.5 20v (turbo)white daily project
    04 s60 D5 (literal twin of previous s60)

Thread Information