Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

drop in power/lumpy

I have read many peoples post regarding similar subject, i have had this particular T5 for over 2 1/2 years. My last T5 did it sometimes and so do other T5's ive been in. It not all the time but occasionally.

If i put my foot down hard from pull away or when moving, occasionally the car does not perform properly and feels like its got a slight misfire (but its not) and the engine sounds down on power. If i lift off my foot and put it back down again it will ususally be fine and pulls like mad. This only happens about 1 or 2 times per month. My last car before this one was a manual T5 and it did the same thing occasionally. My auto T5 is well maintained and has Rica 280, it did this before the Rica. Its got new plugs, new Volvo leads and new coil lead, new volvo dizzy cap and new volvo rotor arm. Recent airfilter, fuel filter.It holds boost at end of gauge and 99% of time pulls very hard. Full Volvo service history till i got it and low miles. I run it on shell or BP petrol. The emissions are good and engines burns no oil between 5K oil changes. I have noticed this in other T5 but it only happens occasionally, like a weak spark or something. Any ideas as i dont want to waste money fitting bits i dont need? All the servicing items are A1 as other cars ive been in that do it. Has anybody else had a similar experience and found out what it is?
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jez.w For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Monday 14th December 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    I have read many peoples post regarding similar subject, i have had this particular T5 for over 2 1/2 years. My last T5 did it sometimes and so do other T5's ive been in. It not all the time but occasionally.

If i put my foot down hard from pull away or when moving, occasionally the car does not perform properly and feels like its got a slight misfire (but its not) and the engine sounds down on power. If i lift off my foot and put it back down again it will ususally be fine and pulls like mad. This only happens about 1 or 2 times per month. My last car before this one was a manual T5 and it did the same thing occasionally. My auto T5 is well maintained and has Rica 280, it did this before the Rica. Its got new plugs, new Volvo leads and new coil lead, new volvo dizzy cap and new volvo rotor arm. Recent airfilter, fuel filter.It holds boost at end of gauge and 99% of time pulls very hard. Full Volvo service history till i got it and low miles. I run it on shell or BP petrol. The emissions are good and engines burns no oil between 5K oil changes. I have noticed this in other T5 but it only happens occasionally, like a weak spark or something. Any ideas as i dont want to waste money fitting bits i dont need? All the servicing items are A1 as other cars ive been in that do it. Has anybody else had a similar experience and found out what it is?
    Cold Weather when it happens?....
    Possibly weak actuator...
    Small boost leak would certainly be in my mind...
    Squirt some washing up liquid on the elbow (PCV) behind the power steering resevoir (sp lol) and give it a test run...Bubbles will show air (leak) present...Has the PCV ever been changed..?

Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Exactly the same has just started happening to mine!!,(very rarely) im going to change the maf and see what happens, as with yours all my coil/leads etc are new.
    Cheers for the useful post mate saves me doing the write-up

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

jez.w (Monday 14th December 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    Cold Weather when it happens?....
    Possibly weak actuator...
    Small boost leak would certainly be in my mind...
    Squirt some washing up liquid on the elbow (PCV) behind the power steering resevoir (sp lol) and give it a test run...Bubbles will show air (leak) present...Has the PCV ever been changed..?

Jod
    No boost leaks and holds boost at end of gauge and does not drop back even when it does this occasional power loss thing. It just feels like its lost power and slight rough running, if you lift your foot off and put it back on it pulls hard again and it might not do it again for a few thousand miles or so. My old 850 manual did it and so does my auto so its not kickdown or anything like that. Weather doesnt seem to effect when it happens either. It really does feel like spark related to me but its on its 3rd set of plugs in 3 years and it still doest it once and a while. Ive got standard Volvo plugs in it now , ive tried two different types of NGK and thought i had cured it but occasionally it does it.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I had exactly the same thing on my T5, i put some Forte injector cleaner in it and its like a rocket again

Maybe a possibility

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Tuesday 15th December 2009),jez.w (Tuesday 15th December 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, i will give the injector cleaner ago as that is an easy one to try. Maybe the injectors could do with proper clean from that company on here, Jim i think his name was?????
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status

Thanks
    Blocked fuel filter?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had a new fuel filter recently which was a sh!ite to get off. The old one was the original so i thought it was due for a change anyway.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

Thread Information