Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: red stuff pads

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irf View Post
    Which ones are you after and whats your budget?
    50 to 60 quid m8 but i will spend more if i know they are good . am after a performance pad to go ith some groved 302mm disks and some braided flexies m8 cheers

Saab 9-5 aero stage 3
    Thanks
    umm yellow stuff pads a must for the future, i learnt to drive with drum brakes all round so cold braking will not bother me.......Learn to be one with the car

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C70 GTT5 View Post
    umm yellow stuff pads a must for the future, i learnt to drive with drum brakes all round so cold braking will not bother me.......Learn to be one with the car
    the car has to learn to be 1 with me lol . yellow stuff are just for track use a think m8

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    50 to 60 quid m8 but i will spend more if i know they are good . am after a performance pad to go ith some groved 302mm disks and some braided flexies m8 cheers
    i'd probably just get volvo pads tbh. up the budget to about 120 odd and you can get ferodo ds2500s which i used on an old car to good effect but not on the volvo. i wouldn't use anything in between but that's just me.

i'd also forget the grooved discs unless you just want brakes to look good. as already said in my previous post the volvo discs are good.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    i'd probably just get volvo pads tbh. up the budget to about 120 odd and you can get ferodo ds2500s which i used on an old car to good effect but not on the volvo. i wouldn't use anything in between but that's just me.

i'd also forget the grooved discs unless you just want brakes to look good. as already said in my previous post the volvo discs are good.
    haha cheers pal av heard lots about these ds2500, are they that good like m8. av been lookin at omp stuff aswell

This user has no status

Thanks
    only had the ds2500s on my previous car which was probably 2-300kg lighter then the volvo and i had bigger discs on that as well - 315mm discs on a 1250kg car. they were fine on that car, no idea on the volvo.

Saab 9-5 aero stage 3
    Thanks
    the car has to learn to be 1 with me lol . yellow stuff are just for track use a think m8
    yes but if you do track days an road use whats the harm, an you no when your pushing it on a semi-proffesional rally they wont fade

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C70 GTT5 View Post
    yes but if you do track days an road use whats the harm, an you no when your pushing it on a semi-proffesional rally they wont fade
    a wouldnt mind taking your route to work then lol . take to long to warm up

Saab 9-5 aero stage 3
    Thanks
    a wouldnt mind taking your route to work then lol . take to long to warm up
    yeah its wicked traffic i can see them being trouble

your mars a welder

Thanks
    EBC greenstuff - on my old car which was lighter then the volvo, i would get fade from the first high speed stop i'd try! in other words, going about 100, brake hard, by the time the car got to 60 i could feel it fading!!

EBC grooved discs - same car as above, first trackday at brands, wasn't that hard on brakes and it was only an afternoon session, discs ended up being warped.

EBC yellowstuff - heard good things about these on other forums but i think they struggle with heavier cars.

EBC redstuff - not logical but i don't trust them. heard from various people about a dead feeling pedal and eating discs.

personally on the volvo i'd stick with genuine discs and depending on your requirements get pads to suit.

if budget is low just go with OEM, think they're about 30-40 quid from rufe. done an airfield trackday at marham with 302s but volvo OEM, yes i got fade but it was manageable and it involved stops from 150+ so no surprise really.

after that i'd get some proper pads. as said before i done 11 laps of the ring with good pads and volvo 302 discs, no fade, no warping just consistent braking.

in the above case the pads were dixcel type Z pads but i'd also go with pagid RS4 or carbotech xp-8s or 10s. got the xp-8s right now on my BBK.
    where can i get these type z pads as i drive like a tosser m8 lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    where can i get these type z pads as i drive like a tosser m8 lol

http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/

not cheap though, think i paid either £160 or 180, i always forget. at the time afaik i was the only person with those pads on a volvo in the uk at least. T5-Tez runs them now and seems to be happy with them.

at the time i bought them they were offering some kind of guarantee on some jap cars if you bought the discs and pads against any kind of fade. not sure how it worked but it was there.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/

not cheap though, think i paid either £160 or 180, i always forget. at the time afaik i was the only person with those pads on a volvo in the uk at least. T5-Tez runs them now and seems to be happy with them.

at the time i bought them they were offering some kind of guarantee on some jap cars if you bought the discs and pads against any kind of fade. not sure how it worked but it was there.
    very good but way over my budget like m8 , a was goin to use the red stuff . my m8 has green stuff on his 4x4 cossie and there good like. av looked at omp , every thing else seems to be way over budget like . a had mintex 1144s on an old car and liked them but cant fimd them anywhere , so a stuck m8 and need help lol

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Just spotted this thread.

I think irf has probably covered all the bases, he has more experience of brake pad compounds and hard use than I do - but I can tell you I put redstuff on my car and they were that good I took them off and gave them away. I'm running DS2500 up front just now and they're much better.

When they wear out I'll most likely go Carbotech.

The Volvo genuine pads do seem to get a good reputation as well.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    Just spotted this thread.

I think irf has probably covered all the bases, he has more experience of brake pad compounds and hard use than I do - but I can tell you I put redstuff on my car and they were that good I took them off and gave them away. I'm running DS2500 up front just now and they're much better.

When they wear out I'll most likely go Carbotech.

The Volvo genuine pads do seem to get a good reputation as well.
    cheers lads a goin to price up a oem disk and pad combo before a order anything now like

This user has no status

Thanks
    I managed to get some yellow stuff pads for an absolute bargain so had a full set fitted on my t5. I have goodridge hoses and standard sized discs too. I don't have much of an issue with cold braking as where ever i go i always give the car and all its bits and pieces time to warm up and never dive on the brakes till they've had a good couple of miles on them. I live in a town called Basingstoke which is roundabout central so i easily get time to warm them up where ever i go. but when i do hit the anchors there is a very strong bite and a consistent use throughout the use and i can't say i have experience much in the way of fade. i haven't done any track work with them but fast a/b roads don't show up any issues. I need to upgrade the bouncy bits to really feel the full benefits

This user has no status

Thanks
    got them on my s70 r front and back they great when warm drilled and grooved discs front and back

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have run both DS2500 and Volvo Police spec pads on my 850 with 302mm discs and the Police spec pads are IMO far better...They are both fairly impressive on bite, the Ds's appearing to like a little more warming but it is the fade (or lack of it) that really impressed me about the Police spec...

The Police specs are about £35 from Simon iirc....

Also the DS's are illegal on cars made after 2000 ....

I think that normal road use Vs price the Policy Spec will be difficult to beat..., but its each to their own...

Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I had Redstuff on my 850R and they were a big pile of poo. When they were new they were fine. But after some weeks of use they had zero stopping power if braking from high speed. When I say zero, I literally mean zero!!! It was like having instant brake fade. Maybe this design problem has been fixed since, but I would never use them again.

I would highly recommend Ferodo - never had any problems with them.
    ======================================
    My current car: Volvo V60 D3 R-Design (Saville Grey)

Turbo-Tuner USB
    http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk

RICA ECU Upgrades
    http://www.rica-uk.com

RICA on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RI...77897022224267

This user has no status
    Thanks
    anyone got any experience of Tarox pads??

Thread Information