Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Head off again....

Took me 3 and a half hours to get it off, but by that time it was too late to get it skimmed today. so, am gonna get it done in the morning.

Got some piccys...

Cam cover off and cams out (note browny/orangey oil residue in the head)

Head off, block and cruddy pistons

Head ready for a skim after some oven cleaner and a stint over the kitchen sink. Nice and shiny

The old head gasket looked like it hadn't sealed properly on some of the cylinders, the margin of gasket onto liner was pretty tight from what I can gather. Hopefully a skim and a genuine gasket will sort this out.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

cameron (Tuesday 8th December 2009),p fandango (Tuesday 8th December 2009)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    thanks for the pics, i have heard you can't beat the Volvo gaskets

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did any of the piston tops look excessively clean bomb where the coolant has 'steam cleaned' the crowns ?

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    if in doubt would also make it very easy now to unbolt block and lift that out to replace clutch if you thnk that would need doing soon.

and looks like you done a nice clean up of the head, maybe would not hurt also to take the valves out clean them and re seat them for a proper going over.
    because it just had to be done

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Yeah I think that if I'd bothered to remove the head and clean it then I'd also re seat the valves and put new stem seals on.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

New Identity
    Thanks

**** just got worse!!!!

Well, just when things couldn't get any worse..................I've gone and snapped one of the head bolts (and its stuck 2 inches down) just got to 130 degrees and 'klink', ****ed. So tomorrow I've got to get a new set (which I should have done in the first place) and another day wasted.

Spent most of today (after a little lie-in) cleaning the upper head section and the top of the block and pistons and waiting for the head to be skimmed. They did a lovely job on the skim, beautiful finish, and for £25. It was a small place with a couple of old guys (that reassured me, chances are they'd been doing it for years).

Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    thanks for the pics, i have heard you can't beat the Volvo gaskets
    It seems to fit better to the edges of the cylinders. I've had a really bad run with pattern parts lately.

Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Did any of the piston tops look excessively clean bomb where the coolant has 'steam cleaned' the crowns ?
    The water hadn't made its way into the pistons, it was the pressure leaking out and pressurising the cooling system. No. 3 was down to 8bar and no.2 was down to 12bar instead of the 13bar the others were reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    if in doubt would also make it very easy now to unbolt block and lift that out to replace clutch if you thnk that would need doing soon.

and looks like you done a nice clean up of the head, maybe would not hurt also to take the valves out clean them and re seat them for a proper going over.
    Money is the limiting factor unfortunately, and the lack of it just leaves me able to deal with the basics. I replaced the gearbox recently, and the clutch will last until next August (that'll be two years wear by then). I used a caustic oven cleaner to clean the head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Yeah I think that if I'd bothered to remove the head and clean it then I'd also re seat the valves and put new stem seals on.
    To get the valves out, I need a deep valve compressor, and I haven't the money for one of those.

TBH, I've had enough of it, theres other things that need replacing too, and its all too much. So I'm gonna stick it all back together and do it another time when money and my morale is better.

Pic of the skimmed head
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Thursday 10th December 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i hear dishwashers are good for cleaning car parts aswell

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Blimey that looks a bloody good job on the skimming and only £25, absolute bargain

Chin up mate you'll get there eventually

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

New Identity
    Thanks
    I bloody hope so.

It looks even better when its in front of you.

All is not doom and gloom, I'm still drivin around in my dads AWD

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER View Post
    Yeah but my mom wouldn't like it (I don't have a dishwasher at my house).

New Identity
    Thanks
    Well, its all back together and guess what, it won't bloody run right.

Started it up and its as rough as a Tipton lass. I was sure I got the timing marks aligned right. I'm gonna check it all over again tomorrow morning, check the plugs, hopefully its something simple I've missed.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hope so bomb, keep us updated matey

New Identity
    Thanks
    Well, I went to it this morning, took the timing belt cover off, checked the timing marks and they were spot on. So I tried to start it, and it fired straight away and was running fine!?!? Bloody thing. I'm thinking it might have been damp (it was p1ssing down) or even the immobiliser, as I locked the car using the fob, and the arm/disarm rectified the problem.

I'm a happy bunny now (except all the other problems) need to get some new tyres and get her washed, looks like I've disowned her.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Thursday 10th December 2009)

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    well done on getting it all done. and see you learned that you can't cut corners when doing this sort of job. regards head bolts that is.
    because it just had to be done

New Identity
    Thanks
    Yeah LOL, that was the second time I've had the head off, so I really should've got them in the first place (money again)

I've got a nice shiny volvo cam belt sticker on it too

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER View Post
    That they are matey !

Glad you've got sorted bomb.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

T5ER (Thursday 10th December 2009)

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Oi bomb fancy doing mine now

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    That they are matey !

Glad you've got sorted bomb.
    lol pure quality, i take it the misses was out, cant remember who it was on here who put there wheels in the dish washer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Top Job Bomb, glad to hear shes back.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Oi bomb fancy doing mine now
    Yeah sure, once the mental scars of this time round have healed, I'll give it a go LOL.

Thread Information