Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch!

This user has no status

Thanks

Ouch!

So I went to get my ATF changed and TCM software updated, this is the original thread http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25728

It's my first visit to a Volvo dealer and so I wasn't aware of the visual health check summary report. Well, I got it, and it was pretty long. I could really do with some advice on the points they highlighted. I can't afford to get these all done right away, so I'm not sure which to tackle first. The prices that gave include VAT and labour, and boy are they expensive.

Left Rear Wheel - Alloy wheel bent - £365.19
    Left Front Suspension - Lower arm rear bush split - £177.33 (the part only cost £25 )
    Power steering fluid level - Power steering pump leaking and reservoir internal pipe broken - £547.98 (Christ!)
    Top engine mount split - £112.24

Can't say I'm too happy about these...

has no status...
    Thanks
    Hi Matt,

Where abouts in the country are you? There may be a good local independant near you that could carry out the work for you.

Going through the items -

Alloy wheel bent - You could post an image of the wheels you have fitted, you never know someone might sell you a spare at a fraction of the cost.
    Left front suspension - The bushes splitting are quite common, eventually you will need this doing and until then it will begin or keep 'clonking'.
    Power Steering pump - Speak to a local independant about this using original parts, mine was replaced at a much lower price than the figure they quoted
    Top engine mount - You could source an original part and use an independant to fit it.

All depends on how bad you perceive each of these is, it would be worth getting an independant second opinion.

Hope that helps?

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

Must update my sigpic ...the S60 lemon went a while ago.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I live in Milton Keynes - I don't believe there are any independent near me.

There is a squealing noise coming from the wheels, is this related to the bush? And there is a fair amount of vibration from the engine - could this be the engine mount?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Christ thats a bit of money isnt it

Top mount could be replaced with a Poly one, about £25 and easy to do yourself
    Wheels could be a breaker like Nads or Readview, both are on here, or theres always the bay of Flea

A good local Indy will be able to sort out the steering problem

Ive replaced wishbones by myself, you just need to make sure that you tighten the bolts when its on the floor with the full weight of the car, and then get the tracking done.

Pm Rufe for good discounted prices on parts, he also does a very quick delivery service.

All the contact details for Readview and Rufe are in the traders section on the main page.

HTH

Lee

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Cameron. Where can I get a poly top mount from?

My friend has informed me that he knows someone who can do the labour for me and works in the Volvo dealership part time, so fingers crossed there.

Volvo said that the power steering isn't leaking as such, but weeping. Is there something I can put in that will seal up any leaks?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Top mount You need this yellow one , whereas the 850's and early V70's have a purple one.

As for the leak maybe try some of THIS

Get genuine parts like wishbones from Rufe.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks, that looks spot on. I've messaged Rufe also.

The alloys I have can be seen here on my car.

How did Volvo decided my alloy was bent from just looking at it? I thought it would need to be taken off and closely looked at to decide that?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Those are 17" Tethys, one of my favourites, i had them on my old 855, bargain at £160 with tyres.........

There was a seller called ttcarscouk selling one last week, some light scuffing, CONTACT EDDIE ON 07590 830993. Based in Ringwood, Hampshire.

Item No 280424694832

Started the bidding @ £30, but he called them Tethley alloys, until i offered him the suggestion of correcting the name, maybe thats why it didnt get any bids.
    Last edited by cameron; Wednesday 25th November 2009 at 14:33.

This user has no status

Thanks
    How can I be sure it's bent, I'd rather not take the dealers word for it.

Thanks for the contact details!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    which wheel is it ????? jack up the car (make sure it is safe) then spin the wheel by hand and watch the outer rim then the inner rim of the alloy, any form of deviation equals a bent wheel. just spotted left rear so would jack it up and do the test
    Last edited by T5ER; Wednesday 25th November 2009 at 14:43. Reason: being a numpty

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    Thanks, that looks spot on. I've messaged Rufe also.

The alloys I have can be seen here on my car.

How did Volvo decided my alloy was bent from just looking at it? I thought it would need to be taken off and closely looked at to decide that?
    i have a set of those rims if ya intested pm me need tres tho but the wheels are mint

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    You lot are like the bloody A-Team!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    You lot are like the bloody A-Team!
    dont give us that jibba jabba lol

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Darryl Motors in Watford aren't that far from MK and are good Volvo Indys that I used for some years.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you send me your registration number i can get you discounted prices for any part you ask me about, even with postage you may save a fair bit.

Simon
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status

Thanks
    take the car to kwik fit or someplace like it.. ask em if the wheel is bent.

Top engine mount.. is this the one that attaches to the big black bar that runs across the top of the engine.. if so its easy to change... remove the bar ( 4 bolts ) and then press the original bush out... press a poly bush back in. Will take about 15 mins if you have a vice.

Weeping power steering pump... hmm thats a vague description..... are you losing fluid.. ie are you having to top up the fluid on a regular basis ? If not then i wouldnt worry about it... at least not till MOT time.

The lower wishbone bush... pah thats a general mechanics job, any garage will be able to do that for you at a fraction of the cost of volvo. Id expect the part plus an hours labour tops.

Other than the potensial P/ steering leak its not all that bad, wheels can come off ebay... look for the nebulas, they are the best you may get lucky and get a set for cheap. the bushes are nothing jobs, if you are not mechanically minded you can get any garage to do them, they are not volvo specific, the steering.. get a second hand part from one of the breakers mentioned above and get a garage to fit it, again it doesnt need to be a volvo indy or volvo... any garage can do this work, its just general car mechanics.

Good luck... oh how did the update / fluid change go ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks wegal

The interesting thing is, I've only owned the car for 2 months and it got an MOT just before I picked it up, with no advisories.

The update/fluid change went well, feels a lot smoother now, very pleased

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't think anything they stated is an MoT failure, or even an advisory.

The wishbone bush might have been spotted if there was excessive play, but if there isn't, it could easily get through. Those bushes are incredibly tight, and even with a split it might not result in much play at all.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh if it is the big black bar across the top I have the two side mounts with bushes fitted that you can have FOC they are just rattling around the back of my car, they are not new but have only done about 30k miles, they are off an 06 plate, i changed mine for the red brick racing solid ones ( worth doing by the way.. just for the engine noise at 3,000 rpm..mmmmmmmmmmmmmm)There was nowt wrong with em i just wanted the top engine mount bar to be a front strut brace to kill a bit of understeer.

Thread Information