Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Needs more boost
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pault5estate View Post
    Look at the big pipe going from the airbox to the turbo, its got the two pipes coming from the PCV, also has an electrical connector on it
    cheers paul i will check this in the morning. if not the inlet's coming off!

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danny-R View Post
    not so much coming out the dipstick, but if you leave it a minute it will start smoking, then when you pull away you get a puff of smoke and it clears.

it only ever seems to happen when it's warm, and there's no smoke on start up.

cheers
    Sorry to say it mate but it sounds like worn piston rings mate when the oil warms up its being pushed past the rings i had the same prob and went through everything.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

danny-R (Friday 30th April 2010)

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    not exactly what i wanted to hear, but you could be right.
    i don't think i will bother doing that tomorrow then i'll just run it into the ground instead .
    don't worry i will still be going to york if it's smoking or not cos it friggin flies still

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danny-R View Post
    not exactly what i wanted to hear, but you could be right.
    i don't think i will bother doing that tomorrow then i'll just run it into the ground instead .
    don't worry i will still be going to york if it's smoking or not cos it friggin flies still
    Wish i had just run my engine into the ground mate the rebuild is turning into a money pit what with the piston problems going to put it on hold till i can afford forged parts and stick another 2nd engine in im not paying £750 for pistons lol

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Wish i had just run my engine into the ground mate the rebuild is turning into a money pit what with the piston problems going to put it on hold till i can afford forged parts and stick another 2nd engine in im not paying £750 for pistons lol

tbh i couldn't afford to do it anyway, my best bet is to drive it till i need i new engine then source a decent one to replace it.

i didn't even bother looking at the pcv today, i will just have to live with it.

I really wanted to reach 200,000 on this engine doesn't look like it anymore

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Do you need an inlet gasket or do I need to buy anything other than the kit from rufe?

Cheers

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MC_Bob View Post
    Do you need an inlet gasket or do I need to buy anything other than the kit from rufe?
    when i took my manifold off yes the original gasket was knackered, but it has been on for 14years so not a bad idea to replace it anyway. I'm thinking of fitting a thermal spacer before putting it back on

Thanks
    right, thought i'd post up in the original thread to keep everything in order. Sorry for the cr4p pictures but think you can see what i've done. got a 28mm to 19mm 90degree reducer, 19mm T-piece & 19mm silicone pipe. It doesn't sit very well on the crank breather (keeps sliding off) so going to order a 19mm 90degree, then possibly another 90degree so theirs not too much tension on the pipe & run it across the top of the injectors. Also got to see if i can get a 19mm port for the top of the catch tank, or it'll have to be a 19mm-15mm 90degree reducer, plus need to order some 19mm alloy tube to join up the block breather to the other pipe, i'm tempted to do all the long runs in alloy with silicone joiners on the ends

got to order some more joints to sort the crankcase breather

easier to see what i've done with the manifold removed, you can't see the sump bung too well tho

10. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Monday 5th July 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    So where does the clear pipe from the catch can go? Back to the air intake pipe?
    S60 D5 Sport - everyday cruiser

Volvo 850 T5 Turbo - Toy awaiting reconstruction

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5hug View Post
    So where does the clear pipe from the catch can go? Back to the air intake pipe?
    it can but your better off just venting to atmosphere, if you put it back into the intake the oil fumes will still contaminate the air/fuel so no benefit to fitting the catch tank in the first place. The clear pipe is just to get the fumes out the way so they don't get fed into the cabin (normally thru the heater intake on the passenger side skuttle panel)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

T5hug (Sunday 4th July 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is the whole point of this not to eradicate those oily fumes though!? I still have the standard air intake with the little sensor (can't remember what it's called!!! P**?) will plugging this be ok if doing away with the pipe? Could I not just vent the original PCV to atmosphere assuming it's all new and clean!?!

Sorry for all the questions!! Lol!

Thanks
    Is the whole point of this not to eradicate those oily fumes though!? I still have the standard air intake with the little sensor (can't remember what it's called!!! P**?) will plugging this be ok if doing away with the pipe? Could I not just vent the original PCV to atmosphere assuming it's all new and clean!?!

lol no problem, the standard PCV feeds oil & gunk thru the vent pipe back into the air intake pipe thru the little sensor your on about (its actually a small heater element). This gunk contaminates the air/fuel spoiling the mixture & worsening the burn/explosion, thats the theory behind it. The catch tank keeps the gunk out of the system so should have a better fuel/burn mixture

the small element in the air intake isn't measured thru the ECU so can be unplugged without the ECU throwing a fault code, i'd only block & remove it tho if your running a seperate catch tank & venting to air. As said the PCV lets some oil thru & will make a mess of the engine bay if you simply disconnect it, some racetracks won't let you race if your venting to atmosphere without a catchtank

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok cheers! so even my new pcv will still allow oil etc back through!? Aaargh!!! Ha!

Had thought about a catch tank before but decided to replace the pcv!! Do you think the catch tank is still worthwhile after the pcv tank!? It's all new so no point in binning it! Is there!?!

Thanks
    Ok cheers! so even my new pcv will still allow oil etc back through!? Aaargh!!! Ha!

Had thought about a catch tank before but decided to replace the pcv!! Do you think the catch tank is still worthwhile after the pcv tank!? It's all new so no point in binning it! Is there!?!
    i only know of one person (Russ) running without a PCV, everyone else runs the catchtank inline. I'm only just experimenting with removing the PCV & tbh its all theory work so far, BT's engine isn't ready to be run again yet so not sure if we'll come across any unexpected problems running without one

This user has no status

Thanks
    Catch tank it is then!! I'm determined to get rid of as much oil as possible! The car had oil leaks everywhere so slowly eradicating them one by one!! Burst pcv Hoses and the oil filler cap plus a burst boost pipe had my engine bay in some mess!! But tbh it could have been a lot worse!!

Slightly off topic but after sorting the pcv can anyone recommend a good way to flush the intercooler of unwanted oil and crap!?

Jim
    Thanks
    Thats what ive done now, i just bunged up the PTC pipes and extended the pcv pipe so it runs all the way under the car.

Jim
    Thanks
    Catch tank it is then!! I'm determined to get rid of as much oil as possible! The car had oil leaks everywhere so slowly eradicating them one by one!! Burst pcv Hoses and the oil filler cap plus a burst boost pipe had my engine bay in some mess!! But tbh it could have been a lot worse!!

Slightly off topic but after sorting the pcv can anyone recommend a good way to flush the intercooler of unwanted oil and crap!?

I sealed one end then put petrol in swished around then drained and repeated a few times then left a hose running through for a good while and left to dry overnight.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

T5hug (Monday 5th July 2010)

Thanks
    i've just ordered hopefully the final lot of bits i need to remove the PCV, i'll post more pics once i've got everything fitted. Its basically the same set-up as i've posted above, but looks nicer lol

Thanks
    an update for ya James

got to get Powerflow to bend a pipe for the camshaft cover to the T-piece. The 90degree bend to connect the pipe to the catch tank should be here tomorrow

Jim
    Thanks
    Looks so simple in the flesh!! just get the damn thing started now and see how it performs, personally i would get rid of the catch tank and just vent straight to air from the block, you got to think about the weight at least a kilo there lol

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Tuesday 3rd August 2010)

Thread Information