Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Looks so simple in the flesh!! just get the damn thing started now and see how it performs, personally i would get rid of the catch tank and just vent straight to air from the block, you got to think about the weight at least a kilo there lol
    it is simple really, just hope it works lol. Just got to get the throttle wheel welded onto the manifold & think the engine is ready then

she won't pass MSA scrutineering without a catch tank, my bro's VW failed last year becuase he was venting straight to air so we had to bodge a tank out of a water bottle so he could race lol

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Just do what i do mate and run the pipe back down towards the back of the engine where its supposed to go....

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile just got my hoses (again)sorted thank god no oil leak now dam manifold

after having all my pcv done and clearing all smoke mystery loss of oil has now been sorted after changing oil cap and loose pipe under top engine cover there was still a massive leak so in the end had to have mainfold off again to check everything and 1" wide rubber elbow had a split underneath causing epic oil loss so now it has a clean bill of health thank god

Thanks
    Just do what i do mate and run the pipe back down towards the back of the engine where its supposed to go....
    they know all the tricks mate, its amazing how well they check over the cars & rightly so, it is to make sure the cars safe to race

i've crew'd for a few teams in the VWDRC championship & its quite funny once they open up scutineering, the cars rushing back to the pit area & everyone trying to figure out how they can fix the faults with gaffa tape or anything they've got in the tents lol. The community spirit is very high between all the teams so normally end up borrowing/robbing from each other lol

Thanks
    its been revised already lol, Powerflow would bend the pipe as it was too small for what they use so popped to Machine Mart & bought a hand pipe bender intended for gas pipe. The only problem was it only does wides radius bends so couldn't get them to line up where i planned yesterday. It has worked out well tho & the pipes now run under the manifold, theirs more run under there so is a bit better

need to either get some longer pipe & bend it upto the catch tank, or buy a 90degree silicone joint (think the new pipe will be better). Just put the crushed joint in to make sure it matches up

obviously all the joints will be jubilee clipped once its finished

6. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Ade (Wednesday 23rd February 2011)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    I think you should keep the silicone 90 bend that way you can easily take that section out if it ever blocks on that bend as no doubt there will be some of that gunk that dont make it to the catch tank.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 4th August 2010)

Thanks
    I think you should keep the silicone 90 bend that way you can easily take that section out if it ever blocks on that bend as no doubt there will be some of that gunk that dont make it to the catch tank.
    that is a very good point, thanks mate never thought of that

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    its been revised already lol, Powerflow would bend the pipe as it was too small for what they use so popped to Machine Mart & bought a hand pipe bender intended for gas pipe. The only problem was it only does wides radius bends so couldn't get them to line up where i planned yesterday. It has worked out well tho & the pipes now run under the manifold, theirs more run under there so is a bit better

need to either get some longer pipe & bend it upto the catch tank, or buy a 90degree silicone joint (think the new pipe will be better). Just put the crushed joint in to make sure it matches up

obviously all the joints will be jubilee clipped once its finished
    Looks interesting, think I'll be having a go at replicating this set up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Looks interesting, think I'll be having a go at replicating this set up
    i have changed the piping a bit since then, its basically the same just routed different to clear the manifold better. Also note i've still not ran the engine with it like that yet

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cool, looks good.

In theory could I do this and just leave the original PCV box in place? Maybe just blank off the hoses?

So I would just need to route 1 hose from the block and 1 from the head?
    Do you remember what diameter of hose is needed?

Thanks
    In theory could I do this and just leave the original PCV box in place? Maybe just blank off the hoses?

So I would just need to route 1 hose from the block and 1 from the head?
    Do you remember what diameter of hose is needed?
    the PCV almost slots straight into the block breather so needs to be removed to get access to it. Its been changed & done over so long i can't remember the sizes sorry

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post

now to see about bypassing the PCV
    Is the thick right angled hose on the right going into the block not what you hook up to the new catch tank though? Looks accessible there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ade For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 23rd February 2011)

Thanks
    Is the thick right angled hose on the right going into the block not what you hook up to the new catch tank though? Looks accessible there.
    lol shows how much i remember, i thought there was less pipe than that & the pcv clipped straight onto the block outlet. So looking at the pic you should be able to remove all the pipes from the pcv (except sump) & T them into a catch tank

Thread Information