Join Today

Thread: Correct Battery

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Angry Correct Battery

Can someone tell me the correct battery for my car as the one i have is ££££££££

I'll leave the radio on for 10 minutes whilst doing some service stuff, checking oil etc etc, i'll get back in the car and its flat.

I left it outside with the sidelights on for 5 minutes and the battery wouldnt turn the engine over it was that flat

Any good links appreciated

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Silly question but have you checked the fluid levels in it?, maybe they're low. Best battey to get is a big un!,lol....
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status

Thanks
    i used these, order by 3pm,. arrives next day

http://www.performancebatteries.co.uk/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:

cameron (Tuesday 24th November 2009)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Fulmen and Varta seem good. Get what you pay for. Agree that electrolyte levels may be low - so could be a simple top-up although with the onset of winter I know what I would do.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Do you have a Costco card? - they do Bosch batteries, not cheap but it's one of those things not worth scrimping on.
    Last edited by Yosser; Tuesday 24th November 2009 at 09:14. Reason: spelling

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Bosch silver £50 from Eurocar parts http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Car-Parts

I would put the Diesel one in. Same Tray init?
    Get someone to do a drop test on it. I did on my one and it was ££££ed. Very common apparently.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Babybadger For This Useful Post:

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Silly question but have you checked the fluid levels in it?, maybe they're low. Best battey to get is a big un!,lol....
    Good point actually, i havent checked the levels

Ive seen those Varta batteries for £80, 600A which apparently is 30% more cranking power their local as well, might see what the levels are like and if their fine then obviously the battery's just knackered

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I put a Varta Silver 027 (Voltage charge - 610 & 5yr guarantee) in mine. I don't use it everyday, infact sometimes it doesn't get used from one week to another, but it has never failed me.

I got mine from National Tyres £87, but if you book it on-line first, you get a 10% discount = £78.30.

I don't care if you have a T-5, a T-5R or an R......
    ......they wouldn't have existed if my Turbo hadn't forged the path!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DuncVolvoTurbo For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://www.yuasa-battery.co.uk/

I beleive Vartas are typically badged Yuasas.

Puns on a postcard.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Ide always go for bosch we ave had one on our 240 for 8 yrs now with no probs you only get what you pay for

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As said Cameron,go for quality,and go for one with a bit more amps.

These are good.

gr,walter
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Ive ordered a Bosch Silver S5 £109.99

However i found out why my battery wasnt holding a charge that well, 3 of the cells were alost dry One of them things that i always seem to overlook.

NOT ANY MORE !!!!!

Its holding a charge a lot better since i topped it up and i'll keep it as a spare once the new one arrives.

Cheers for the info guys

This user has no status

Thanks
    So what's good and bad incidentally in terms of battery output incidentally?
    In layman's terms I would have thought all batteries came close to but did not exceed 12V, and higher amps would be best (but how high - and why?), and why do I read in some posts on here that battery voltages can be 13v?

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico20V View Post
    So what's good and bad incidentally in terms of battery output incidentally?
    In layman's terms I would have thought all batteries came close to but did not exceed 12V, and higher amps would be best (but how high - and why?), and why do I read in some posts on here that battery voltages can be 13v?
    In simple terms more amps means you can run more things - ie additional lights, aircon fans, heated seats, electric windows for longer before the b@gger goes flat. There are many mods which are ascribed to Police vehicles, but one which is usually more truth than fiction is the fitment of a higher output alternator and meatier battery than standard issue. Mind you, autos often have the same upgrade because of the current draw starting an auto - and because, more importantly, you cannot push-start an automatic car.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    A quick explanation of battery specs -

The CCA is the Cold Cranking Amperage - this is the 'torque' of the battery when its cold. The higher this figure is the better. I'd suggest that a 600A CCA rating is the minimum you should consider, certainly no less than 500A CCA.

The Amp/hr is how long the battery can supply a given current for - for example a 100A/hr battery could supply 20 amps for 5 hours, 10 amps for 10 hours etc etc. This figure isn't that important if you don't use your radio for hours without the engine running for example.

The company I usually use for batteries is http://www.tayna.co.uk . I've just bought this battery - http://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Numax-Car-Battery-P1012.html £55 inc VAT A very good spec on this - its the most powerful battery that I've found that will fit an 850
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

cameron (Thursday 26th November 2009)

Thread Information