Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Volvo T-5R refurb !!

OK, recently lost my licence for speeding and slapped with a 6 month ban so I am going to use this to my advantage and get some work done on the T-5R. I have had this car for a good few years which for me is unheard of. I swapped it once for 6 months but then it came back so its staying for good and I am going to get the following done .

The paint is looking tired now so a full bare shell respray is getting done in the new year, doors off, glass out, trim away etc. I have decided to get the tops of the bumpers and the side strips done in base coat and lacquered in graphite grey. The Volans will be matched to this colour too. I have bought 4 S70 door handles (passenger one for the drivers side) so its delocked and these will be coded yellow. I will get a V70 tailgate trim aswell as these are a bit rounder looking.
    I am toying with using my V70 AWD bumper trims aswell but need to think about the exhaust side of things, not sure if its worth the expense but if I did I would put a pillar box effort on each side to blend in with the box like rear. Under the wheelarches are getting cleaned and fresh stonechip on them and painted yellow. The wheel liners will be cleaned to an inch of their life too!!

I just got roof strips other day but not sure if it will look daft without the roof rails so trial and error there maybe to see what looks best

I have collected some other bits and pieces that will make small differences, seven seat conversion, CD housing for boot so I can get my glove box back ! I have a new glove box insert aswell, s40 mirror glasses as they have the heated mirror sign on them ( daft but appeals to me ), black face single CD player to hook up to changer.

I did consider the completely original look, with Titans, original exhaust, orange rear likes, bumper tops and trims not painted, original suspension for factory ride height etc but think I prefer a slight altered car.

Will keep you all updated as I go along

One question tho…my tailgate lock barrel doesn’t work, never has so relies on the door lock to unlock. I am taking away the drivers door lock for the passenger S70 handle, my question is … if I put in a new lock to allow key opening at the back does it operate the central locking or does it just unlock the tailgate?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Sounds interesting budddy

From my experience ( plus ive just checked ) the Tailgate doesnt lock the central locking, well on mine anyway. The Tailgate has always worked off the central locking fob thingy.

Keep us informed.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    considering a respray myself,,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    nice one FB dont forget before during and after piccies, i have allways liked your motor a lot

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    will certainly be interesting to see scott. with regards to the tailgate, if i lock the tailgate with the key, it does operate the central locking and lock all the doors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to irf For This Useful Post:

The Flying Banana (Tuesday 24th November 2009)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irf View Post
    will certainly be interesting to see scott. with regards to the tailgate, if i lock the tailgate with the key, it does operate the central locking and lock all the doors.
    Ditto, mine works the central locking too.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

The Flying Banana (Tuesday 24th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Irf, Tomcat, great news, that is a good news if the fob gives up the ghost as the driver and passenger door lock wont be there !!

Will be taking plenty pics, i am doing the strip down and rebuild. WIll be nice to see a freshly painted banana on the road !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Banana View Post
    Irf, Tomcat, great news, that is a good news if the fob gives up the ghost as the driver and passenger door lock wont be there !!

Will be taking plenty pics, i am doing the strip down and rebuild. WIll be nice to see a freshly painted banana on the road !
    yeah deffo will be, take it you are goung for a full interior respray aswell ??? and underbonet

This user has no status
    Thanks
    doors will be off it so all door shuts will be perfect. Tailgate off and new rubber seals on there too. Bonnet will be off but wings will be taped up at the inner wing part as inner wings came up with a T cut and polish and look OK. Ideally when it is all back together ther will be zero overspray, no masking edges etc and will look mint ( peeps will defo know its been painted as no 1995 car with 250000 miles could have flawless paint lol )

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well best of look matey and no doubt i will want it even more when its finished

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Banana View Post

I know what you mean, I have V70 door handles on mine, although the drivers one has a lock on it it's not connected. I've once managed to flatten the battery on the car over night, thankfully because the tailgate works the central locking you can still get into the car, however if you have a flat battery all you'll be able to open is the tailgate(which means you have an undignified crawl over the seats to get in).

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Ditto, mine works the central locking too.
    mine too.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wow! Sounds like a project. Good luck with it!!!
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Meant to add, good luck with it, I'm glad your keeping it.

Previous cars:

Thread Information