Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Why are volvo trim levels so confusing >.<

I looked all over and just keep getting crap.

Basically the 200 series, its well confusing. Theres the 240 turbo and the 242 gt. Whats the difference?Also, theres a V6 200 series ive been told, wtf?

Im basically researching atm as to what project car i want in the future. Volvo for sure. But i dont know what model. I prefer older cars as im a classic guy. Is there a 200 series that have PAS, electric windows and come RWD / turbo? Or rwd / V6.
    Last edited by Palmer; Monday 23rd November 2009 at 17:48.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

Basically the 200 series, its well confusing. Theres the 240 turbo and the 242 gt. Whats the difference?Also, theres a V6 200 series ive been told, wtf?

Im basically researching atm as to what project car i want in the future. Volvo for sure. But i dont know what model. I prefer older cars as im a classic guy. Is there a 200 series that have PAS, electric windows and come RWD / turbo? Or rwd / V6.
    Our old 260 GLE estate had PAS, RWD, Full leccy windows & a 2.8L V6. But the trim can vary even if they both say GLE I believe. Good luck finding one. I think the DL was the crap one.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96T5Andy View Post
    Our old 260 GLE estate had PAS, RWD, Full leccy windows & a 2.8L V6. But the trim can vary even if they both say GLE I believe. Good luck finding one. I think the DL was the crap one.
    Ah right. Did it come in a saloon? Not a fan of the old volvo estates

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Palmer,

You might find this link useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series

Cheers,
    John
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okete View Post
    Palmer,

You might find this link useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series

Cheers,
    John
    Ta but that doesnt really clarify anything for me, thats why im confused. Because theres massive chunks of text and its all technical. Giving engine types and all that. Theres no simple explanation of what model has what trim and what engine etc etc

Palmer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    MODEL NUMBERS: 2*$ - If the * is a 4 it has 4 cylinders. If it's a 6 it has 6 cylinders.
    If the $ is a 2 it has 2 doors (very rare to find now though), 4 = 4 doors, 5 = 5 doors. The $ changed to a 0 in later models though so you caouldn't tell whether it was an estate or saloon.

SPEC LETTERS: Think of it like the alhpabet: The further up the alphabet you go, the better the spec.
    ie. DL (low end DeLuxe), GL (higher Grande Luxe), GLE (higher still, sort of comfort spec) GLT (even higher, sporty spec).

Most common in the 240/4/5 was the 2.3 lump. As far as I know all 260/4/5's had the 2.8 When I was a nipper (!) my folks had a 265 GLE which was an awesome 2.8 V6. I actually think the GLE was the top spec, not the GLT, but not sure. It came with leather seats, electric windows all round, electric mirrors, nice alloys and metallic paint. It was also an auto, which I think all the 260's were, but I stand to be corrected (on any of the above!)

Hope some of that helps!

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts

volvo never did a turbo 240 in the uk and the 242 turbo was a 2 door coupe which we never got here ether. so my sugestion is buy a late model classic se 940 lpt and turn the boost up .then you get a g80 locker axle 2.3 turbo capable of 300 bhp with not alot of work and get a manual with m90 box .lots of fun and quick

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubes View Post
    MODEL NUMBERS: 2*$ - If the * is a 4 it has 4 cylinders. If it's a 6 it has 6 cylinders.
    If the $ is a 2 it has 2 doors (very rare to find now though), 4 = 4 doors, 5 = 5 doors. The $ changed to a 0 in later models though so you caouldn't tell whether it was an estate or saloon.

SPEC LETTERS: Think of it like the alhpabet: The further up the alphabet you go, the better the spec.
    ie. DL (low end DeLuxe), GL (higher Grande Luxe), GLE (higher still, sort of comfort spec) GLT (even higher, sporty spec).

Most common in the 240/4/5 was the 2.3 lump. As far as I know all 260/4/5's had the 2.8 When I was a nipper (!) my folks had a 265 GLE which was an awesome 2.8 V6. I actually think the GLE was the top spec, not the GLT, but not sure. It came with leather seats, electric windows all round, electric mirrors, nice alloys and metallic paint. It was also an auto, which I think all the 260's were, but I stand to be corrected (on any of the above!)

Hope some of that helps!
    Ta that does help lol!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    volvo never did a turbo 240 in the uk and the 242 turbo was a 2 door coupe which we never got here ether. so my sugestion is buy a late model classic se 940 lpt and turn the boost up .then you get a g80 locker axle 2.3 turbo capable of 300 bhp with not alot of work and get a manual with m90 box .lots of fun and quick
    Hmm im still deciding what route to go down tbh. Small engined lightweight car such as a mini, or a large turbo lump like a volvo. Or even maybe a beefy V8 further down the line. Ahhh if only the 850 R's were RWD!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Hmm im still deciding what route to go down tbh. Small engined lightweight car such as a mini, or a large turbo lump like a volvo. Or even maybe a beefy V8 further down the line. Ahhh if only the 850 R's were RWD!
    you could always drop a t6 motor in a 960 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cubes i bang on but to clarify on his just abit further. The GLT was to the 240 what the SRI would be to Vauxhall, no extra performance but came with the little performance extras like the "sporty" alloys, egg create grill, no chrome strip up the doors and so on. It had similar spec to the GLE but the GLE was the top of the range. There was also a 2.8 4 cylinder engine available although rare.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to volvoturboman For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Friday 22nd January 2010)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    yep the glt were the top spec what are you wanting from your next project car?
    Are you wanting to do a engine swap or modd the current engine the car has?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoturboman View Post
    Cubes i bang on but to clarify on his just abit further. The GLT was to the 240 what the SRI would be to Vauxhall, no extra performance but came with the little performance extras like the "sporty" alloys, egg create grill, no chrome strip up the doors and so on. It had similar spec to the GLE but the GLE was the top of the range. There was also a 2.8 4 cylinder engine available although rare.

That's right. The GLT had matt black trim where the GLE had chrome didn't it

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

Thread Information