Join Today

Thread: 18T question.

This user has no status

Thanks

18T question.

Hi
    I want to put an 18T with a 3" exhaust on my 850. I'm new to turbos so need a bit of advice. The modified 18T that IPD sell looks interesting but they want $250 for shipping!! with VAT and maybe import duty it gets a bit too expensive.
    The IPD turbo has a 70mm outlet. My questions are; what size is the outlet on a standard 18T? Would it be a good idea to get a turbo with a 70mm outlet to go with a 3" system? Would it make enough difference to be worth the hassel and expense of getting a special made up?
    I've not yet asked any UK turbo people for quotes.
    Thanks in advance
    Roger

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Well if your wanting to run a 18t your would most likley want the rods upgrading larger injectors etc so really if you have that money to spend you minds well go for a garrett or alike.
    70mm is 2.75 inches i dont know the exact size of a standard 18t but i would have thought that would be about right.
    The best thing to do is get a angled outlet which will help gasses flow better.
    Ide look into gattett gt28r or gt30r

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

flyingbrick (Saturday 21st November 2009),rogert5 (Saturday 21st November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogert5 View Post
    Hi
    I want to put an 18T with a 3" exhaust on my 850. I'm new to turbos so need a bit of advice. The modified 18T that IPD sell looks interesting but they want $250 for shipping!! with VAT and maybe import duty it gets a bit too expensive.
    The IPD turbo has a 70mm outlet. My questions are; what size is the outlet on a standard 18T? Would it be a good idea to get a turbo with a 70mm outlet to go with a 3" system? Would it make enough difference to be worth the hassel and expense of getting a special made up?
    I've not yet asked any UK turbo people for quotes.
    Thanks in advance
    Roger
    how much money do you want to spend on the turbo

This user has no status

Thanks
    roger just incase your interested I will be selling my 19T with the custom rica remapped ecu for a manual with climate 850 t5 + white injectors i used to run it on before the m.t.e setup i now use, i'm not selling for a couple of weeks and will suggest an me7 downpipe be purchased to be used with it ( i sold mine ) No i haven't a price yet as it will be priced once taken off and checked as i said in a couple of weeks... it is running very well currently..
    Last edited by volvolised; Monday 23rd November 2009 at 20:34.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to volvolised For This Useful Post:

rogert5 (Sunday 22nd November 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    how much money do you want to spend on the turbo
    I want to buy new or at least reconditioned, but as I said I have not asked for prices from UK suppliers. I've found new 19Ts from Japan for around £500. Add to that posting cost and VAT on the total. If I could get an 18T for that or perhaps a little more I'd be happy, but funds are not unlimited!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Personally i dont think getting the turbo is a problem, its getting a map and ancillaries thats going to be the test. p.s have you upgraded the running gear yet, strut brace, suspension, antiroll bars, BRAKES... pps what car do you have.. my turbo and map wont be more than £450
    Last edited by volvolised; Monday 23rd November 2009 at 07:02.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvolised View Post
    Personally i dont think getting the turbo is a problem, its getting a map and ancillaries thats going to be the test. p.s have you upgraded the running gear yet, strut brace, suspension, antiroll bars, BRAKES... pps what car do you have.. my turbo and map wont be more than £450
    I could be intrested in these when you decided to sell them.

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Same here Mate mine will be up for sale, i have the same set up, but i am going to go for a KKK24, Greens and TT ecu, hence why the 19t kit is going,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I put a 19t and custom map on my v70r and I personally think it was not as good as the 18t with a rica 304 that was on there previously.
    This could have been the map, I dont know, but it was not as good.
    Also bear in mind the 18t was designed for the AWD version and you will need an angled downpipe to suit as a std one wont fit.(As they go around the prop)
    I wouldn't get too worried about upgrading your rods etc unless your looking for serious power, the 18t is a great turbo.
    Someone else will know better than me tho!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to macV70R For This Useful Post:

rogert5 (Monday 23rd November 2009)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macV70R View Post
    I put a 19t and custom map on my v70r and I personally think it was not as good as the 18t with a rica 304 that was on there previously.
    who did the custom map for you if you don't mind me asking? Rica is known to be aggressive with the boost while other companies like to be gentle & smooth?

as i've said before i was very disappointed with my 19t originally, but after a few mods to help it breath easier it picks up as quick as now as the old 15g used to

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Same here Mate mine will be up for sale, i have the same set up, but i am going to go for a KKK24, Greens and TT ecu, hence why the 19t kit is going,

Gary
    Why? is the 19t not the way to go?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogert5 View Post
    I want to buy new or at least reconditioned, but as I said I have not asked for prices from UK suppliers. I've found new 19Ts from Japan for around £500. Add to that posting cost and VAT on the total. If I could get an 18T for that or perhaps a little more I'd be happy, but funds are not unlimited!
    speak to turbo technics they do a t28 hybrid which t5tes uses and i have used and not a bad turbo ether which is the same size if not bigger than a 19t

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

rogert5 (Monday 23rd November 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post

Gary
    Hope all goes well then gary.. personaly i'm sticking with the 19T and having a new one ported soon....there all much of a muchness and i've spent enough on the mods i've got with the current set up....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    who did the custom map for you if you don't mind me asking? Rica is known to be aggressive with the boost while other companies like to be gentle & smooth?

as i've said before i was very disappointed with my 19t originally, but after a few mods to help it breath easier it picks up as quick as now as the old 15g used to
    Hi Mate, Adam at HLM done the custom map.
    The car was running a 19t, s60r manifold, hi flo cat and s/s twin exit exhaust.
    Like I said, it was superb with th 18t, maybe it was the map.?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnash2002 View Post
    Why? is the 19t not the way to go?
    The 19T is fine....the kkk is a better turbo but not by much it does always come down to the map and the rest of the mods you need for the big bhp..i'm rolling road mine on the 5th so we'll see how the 19T is health wise.. Irf has a very fast running 850 with an 18T chris has a very fast S70 with a 16T...the list goes on..

This user has no status

Thanks
    Although I was quite happy with the brakes on my 10 valve estate as soon as I drove the 854 t5 I was very aware that the front brakes were not good enough for the extra speed. I now run the 302 upgrade with Saab 9/5 sports pads which are so much better. I only wish I'd known about this forum at the time because I could have got the parts a whole lot cheaper. As for the rest of the running gear, not sure yet but I dont think I'll be taking the car anywhere near a racetrack. You're right, getting the right map will be the problem.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The 19T is fine....the kkk is a better turbo but not by much it does always come down to the map and the rest of the mods you need for the big bhp..i'm rolling road mine on the 5th so we'll see how the 19T is health wise.. Irf has a very fast running 850 with an 18T chris has a very fast S70 with a 16T...the list goes on..
    Ok sounds good info.
    Well as ive stated if anyone has one forsale soon with a maped ecu to suit then im very much intrested.
    Already got the injectors sorted.........

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also bear in mind the 18t was designed for the AWD version and you will need an angled downpipe to suit as a std one wont fit.(As they go around the prop)
    I wouldn't get too worried about upgrading your rods etc unless your looking for serious power, the 18t is a great turbo.
    Someone else will know better than me tho!
    I have to disagree there Mac, my car flies with the 19t custom Rica, Ferrita downpipe and 3" exhaust, but that could be down to my far superior box :p

As for the 18t they were also standard fitment on the V70R fwd's 98 motronic 4.4 version by far the best R they did in the classic shape IMHO,

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Hi Mate, Adam at HLM done the custom map.
    The car was running a 19t, s60r manifold, hi flo cat and s/s twin exit exhaust.
    Like I said, it was superb with th 18t, maybe it was the map.?
    the same hardware as me then only a different map

Thread Information