Join Today

Thread: Losing water

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Losing water

My 850 is losing water at an alarming rate. I've checked it all over for leaks, but nothing is apparent except when the engine is hot, the expansion tank cap leaks steam and a little coolant (sometimes steam comes pouring out from the bonnet edges). Its a new green cap I bought from PFV a couple of months ago.

So I'm thinking its either the tank cap (or some leak) or the system is being pressurized beyond its limits which points to the headgasket maybe?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Wednesday 18th November 2009 at 15:34.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i think it was FFM who had the actual bottle split around the neck which was leaking water out, might be an idea to check that

New Identity
    Thanks
    Ah, thanks for that matey, haven't tried that. Will go out and have a look.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Just been out and had a look at it. It does look like theres a small crack running half way round the neck where it meets the tank. I've tried to wobble it, and theres some tiny movement in it, plus the crack looks like its got dirt in it, so probably been getting bigger over time. So I'm gonna get a new one, and hope this fixes the problem.

Good call dude!

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    that was a lucky guess lol

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    that was a lucky guess lol
    Its what this forum is for, drawing on past experiences for help and guidance on problems and other stuff.
    Lucky guess or not, it was an option.

Cheers buddy.

This user has no status

Thanks

water

Have you checked the radiator? Is there any pressure in the expansion Tank?
    If there is that rules out the tank, then look at the radiators oil cooler usual suspect leaks where the oil cooler joined to the side of the radiator!

New Identity
    Thanks
    Theres no visible leaking except around the expansion tank

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    My 850 is losing water at an alarming rate. I've checked it all over for leaks, but nothing is apparent except when the engine is hot, the expansion tank cap leaks steam and a little coolant (sometimes steam comes pouring out from the bonnet edges). Its a new green cap I bought from PFV a couple of months ago.

So I'm thinking its either the tank cap (or some leak) or the system is being pressurized beyond its limits which points to the headgasket maybe?

Any ideas?
    So there pressure in the bottle then? that would rule out the exsansion tank then?
    Rule out head gasket if there is no water in your oil(white gunk on the dip stick).

New Identity
    Thanks
    Oil is fine, no gunk at all.

I'll get the engine tray off and have a gander at the radiator.

Thread Information