Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

still got low boost?

Hi all.

I have been looking for my suspected boost leak this afternoon, checked every hose, all ok, checked all the elbows, all ok, replaced the BCS, checked the wastegate and it seems ok. Intercooler is new and fine.

Still only hitting 5psi foot flat and -15 in hg, at cruise 0.

I have worked out roughly that i should be hitting 15psi or so, could anybody confirm the bar or psi it should reach?

Any advice on unusual causes for low boost would be good.

Thanks

steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Steve,

-15in hg sounds wrong to me for idle, sure mine is -20 or lower ( can't remember right now). That would still point to a vacuum leak of some sort by the sounds. Any way you can pressure test the system? I think one way is to connect a few PSI at the turbo intake with the engine off then hold the pressure and trace the hiss...

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you tried the pipes that go to the charcoal tank? They have inline one way valves, I checked mine, and they were leaking. It comes off the front of the manifold next to the idle control valve, then clips to the fan shroud and runs through a valve down to the charcoal tank
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi and thanks for the replies.

I had another go at the car today, cured the boost issue, I think my bcs was faulty, I had replaced it but I did not reset the ecu, I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and alls fine now, hitting 18psi and going like a rocket. Hopefully this is going to get me better fuel consumption as I was down to 14 mpg.
    I am going to have a look at those valves, I wondered what they were for!

Thanks again.

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The only problem is, a replacement valve is £21 from Rufe!

I went on ebay and bought a couple of 6mm non return fuel valves for £4 until I can get some $$$.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post
    Hi and thanks for the replies.

I had another go at the car today, cured the boost issue, I think my bcs was faulty, I had replaced it but I did not reset the ecu, I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and alls fine now, hitting 18psi and going like a rocket. Hopefully this is going to get me better fuel consumption as I was down to 14 mpg.
    I am going to have a look at those valves, I wondered what they were for!

Thanks again.

Steve
    Hi Steve where did you get you bcs from?, carnt seem to find one

Jad

Thread Information