Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Another puzzle for someone to solve for me

Some people on here are probably aware that I currently have 18" pegs in silver fitted to my 97 v70 t5. Some of you will be aware that I don't like them lol. They rub on the front which bugs me to death but my main concern is that the rear wheels appear to be pointing inwards. I think it is refered to as the toe/tow. I can really notice it now I have the pegs on but didn't notice it with my oe 16's fitted. I though that my car has a fixed rear axle (2wd only) and as such didn't think that there was anything to adjust. Nothing is bent and both wheels on the rear are the same.
    Is this the same with other people who have fitted larger diameter wheels and if not what can I do?

Thanks in advance for the help as per usual!

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

the true nut job
    Thanks
    if its any good mate i had the same thing with my cosworth the wheels ware in at the top, i went to the ford dealer and he told me that i had 2 fit new bushs or wheel spacers...not sure if that helps u..lol..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

phil_woods (Friday 6th November 2009)

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    if its any good mate i had the same thing with my cosworth the wheels ware in at the top, i went to the ford dealer and he told me that i had 2 fit new bushs or wheel spacers...not sure if that helps u..lol..
    cosworths were a rite pig for it if the car was to low. that why the 2wd 1s have a bad name lol av had a few cosworths with shims in the rear hubs to corret it nothin to do with the bushes m8 , what do you mean about the volvo m8 that , that they point in towards the front of the car ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to leet5r For This Useful Post:

phil_woods (Friday 6th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Exactly that towards the front of the wheels they point inwards. If it's wheels beatings then that's not too bad!

God I miss her...

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_woods View Post
    Exactly that towards the front of the wheels they point inwards. If it's wheels beatings then that's not too bad!
    i have that problem with my t5r bud and its sound a think the wheel base is shorter than the front and gives it the illusion that its crabed m8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leet5r For This Useful Post:

phil_woods (Saturday 7th November 2009)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    the rear axle isn't solid, its a Delta axle (2 seperate axles that cross). The design of it gives a bit of active rear wheel steering

10. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

phil_woods (Saturday 7th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments chaps! Does this mean that my car is fine then?

God I miss her...

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments chaps! Does this mean that my car is fine then?
    if it drives stright and handles like its meant to then i would say yes . kwik fit do a 4 wheel laser trackin like so you could double check.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the above, it does drive fine but I drive like miss daisy in it due to fuel costs etc so I don't really know. The laser allignment sounds like a good idea but it shall have to wait until I have sorted some other issues out. As usual thanks everyone for the input

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Thanks for the above, it does drive fine but I drive like miss daisy in it due to fuel costs etc so I don't really know. The laser allignment sounds like a good idea but it shall have to wait until I have sorted some other issues out. As usual thanks everyone for the input
    i always get the tracking checked when i put new tyres or rims on .i fitted 18s bbs to my v70 with 225,35,18s and they rubbed like crazy so i fitted 215,40,18s on the bbs and the car was perfict no probs at all.also my v70 was lowered by 40mm and i used to carry 6 kids and me in it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Bloody hell mate mine has been lowered 40mm all round and sits on 215/40/18 rubber but rubs like mad on full lock! Wish mine didn't rub! Gonna get some 17's when I have the money

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Bloody hell mate mine has been lowered 40mm all round and sits on 215/40/18 rubber but rubs like mad on full lock! Wish mine didn't rub! Gonna get some 17's when I have the money
    it is not the wheels you have to change the steering stops on the wishbones to the c70 ones for the 18s bbs that they used ,they are easy to fit just drill out the pot rivits and put the thicker ones on .volvo sureply them and they cost penies

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I thought thev70 and c70 had different hubs? That sounds nice and easy I shall do that and sacrifice my turning circle

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I thought thev70 and c70 had different hubs? That sounds nice and easy I shall do that and sacrifice my turning circle
    the wishbones are the same you just need the nylon blocks with the pot rivits that you get in the kit from volvo

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    if it drives stright and handles like its meant to then i would say yes . kwik fit do a 4 wheel laser trackin like so you could double check.
    Kwik fit don't know their Ar se from their elbow and they would be the last place i would take my car for Wheel alignment. They may tell you it's 4 wheel laser alignment but i can assure you it's not else you'd be paying closer to £50 to have it done correctly. All they do is stick some crappy, uncalibrated laser pointer to your rear wheels and have it point roughly in the direction of your front wheels. Then some 'Geezer' gets on his hands and knees and pretends he knows what he's doing and in the meantime actually makes your cars alignment even worse!

Top tip!! Go to a proper tyre fit place like EliteDirect for example. Here your will have your wheel alignment checked accurately by computers and calibrated lasers on a Alignment machines ie Hunter, that cost thousands of pounds. The whole process takes approx 30 minutes and the result is your car is guaranteed to drive as straight as it did the day it rolled off the factory conveyor. Kwik fit do not have the equipment to check your castor angle or your camber angle, so how can they possibly guarantee your steering is straight? I know from first hand experience that they are useless and should stick to doing what they know best...Tyres and exhausts.

May i point out that i have nothing to do with Elite, only first hand experience of top notch service by people that actually know what their talking about.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Kwik fit don't know their Ar se from their elbow and they would be the last place i would take my car for Wheel alignment. They may tell you it's 4 wheel laser alignment but i can assure you it's not else you'd be paying closer to £50 to have it done correctly. All they do is stick some crappy, uncalibrated laser pointer to your rear wheels and have it point roughly in the direction of your front wheels. Then some 'Geezer' gets on his hands and knees and pretends he knows what he's doing and in the meantime actually makes your cars alignment even worse!

Top tip!! Go to a proper tyre fit place like EliteDirect for example. Here your will have your wheel alignment checked accurately by computers and calibrated lasers on a Alignment machines ie Hunter, that cost thousands of pounds. The whole process takes approx 30 minutes and the result is your car is guaranteed to drive as straight as it did the day it rolled off the factory conveyor. Kwik fit do not have the equipment to check your castor angle or your camber angle, so how can they possibly guarantee your steering is straight? I know from first hand experience that they are useless and should stick to doing what they know best...Tyres and exhausts.

May i point out that i have nothing to do with Elite, only first hand experience of top notch service by people that actually know what their talking about.
    yes kwikfit is usless , its was just a suggestion lol

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Of course.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Proper laser alignment around where i live is £40 + vat and they do a very thorough job

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the posts very helpful, I remember having a puncture ages ago on my celica gt4 I had no spare due to the ice so I had to get a mate to take my wheel the nearest place which was quickfit. They charged me over a hundred quid for a Nike air wish they were tyre and to make it worse I had to go back to get the other wheel on the same axle done so I didn't have different treads. I wouldn't ever use them again. Have found ats very good by me but they have just gone bust lol

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    kwik fit, he he that would be full exhaust, four new tyres, pads and discs too sir.
    ________
    Headshops
    Last edited by mike k; Sunday 18th September 2011 at 03:52.

Thread Information