Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Time for a clutch

Hi All.
    I recon it’s nearly time to think about changing the clutch on 97 v70 2.5T AWD. Manual. Does anyone know if any special tools are needed to complete this job and is it strait forward?
    Jim
    96/97 V70 2.5T 20V B5254T AWD Petrol/LPG
    Injectors cleaned every six months

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Hahahahaha

Welcome to my world matey (especially with AWD!)

Best thing to do is remove the engine and subframe from the car (lift the car off). I've changed my clutch twice (went within a year) and had my engine out 3 times now, latest was to replace my gearbox because the output for the angle gear was shagged.

See threads

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16939

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24549

No real special tools needed, I did mine on the driveway with basic (but hefty) tools. hardest part is undoing the propshaft and removing the downpipe, as the subframe has to be dropped to get it out!

Oh and I used a very large jack (see pics in threads) as an engine lift just wouldn't cut it, and wouldn't fit under the car and allow the engine to be removed easily.

I did try to change the clutch with the engine in the car, and it seemed harder to do, as the angle gear needs to be removed but because our cars are RHD the steering rack pipes get in the way and have to be rremoved, then there's loads of manoevring to do with it and all while lying on your back . Not good.

Its also a good opportunity to replace anything down the back of the engine (oil return pipe seal, turbo refurb, etc) or cam belt or whatever.

Time wise your looking at a couple of days. Last one took me three days as I had to dissasemble the gearbox. I've never done it shorter than two days.

Give us a shout if ya get stuck

HTH

Bomb
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Saturday 7th November 2009 at 11:40.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Shine a light! Thought I would be able to remove the box and do it with the engine still in the car. Dropping the sub frame is not on as I am working on the street. Are you saying that its not possible to do it in the car, or just that it is more difficult?
    jim
    96/97 V70 2.5T 20V B5254T AWD Petrol/LPG
    Injectors cleaned every six months

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    It is possible to change the clutch with the engine in, thats what I did the first time around, but you'll need to get right underneath to remove the angle gear and exhaust, and have some lifting equipment to support the engine and hold the gearbox steady when removing and re-fitting as its a heavy bugger!

I could change the clutch on my old 940 in 4 hours (thats slow I know, but I did faff about cleaning the flywheel and stuff) but to do my 850 AWD is just a mammoth task.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information