Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry Still stuttering

Right pulling my hair out now. 5 new spark plugs, replacement ignition leads and distributor cap but still stuttering. The stuttering however has changed its routine. Drives beautifully smooth for irst 3 or 4 miles, then will start missing mildly and not ery often for next 3 to 4 miles and then all hell breaks loose. It looses performance, chugs and sounds awful, sounds a bit like it ain't getting the right amount of petrol although according to the fuel gauge its getting far to much.

O' yeah its the car pictured below, V70 2.4 10valve

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

Saab 9-5 aero stage 3
    Thanks
    i had a problem like this with an old vw, it turned out to be air was geting into the fuel via perishing fuel lines, i replaced them an the problem was solved, just an idea?
    have you replaced the rotor arm when you did the dizzy? its worth it only a few quid

the true nut job
    Thanks
    some thing like this happend 2 me..had it 2 the dealer and it tuned out to be the pump..hope this helps..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    I am inclined to think this may be an air-leak in the inlet manifold gasket or a related pipe. There would seem to be a thermal relationship to the fault - as the engine heats, the gap widens. I see that C70 GTT5 has also come up with something along these lines. If you have had the manifold off to do the PCV or something, it may just need torqueing up. However, I wonder if it could it be that the ignition coil is breaking down? The problem has improved, indicating that it may be spark related, but this may have enabled a weakening coil to improve discharge (for a bit) - maybe simple fix but get one from a scrapper to see if it makes a difference before ordering a new one.
    Monday lunchtime, I'm a bit fuzzy, but give these thoughts a think, and let me know what you thunk...

Could also be a clogged fuel filter. And the more I think, the more things I think it could be!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well guys thanks for all your ideas, I was thinking along the lines of air if it wasn't spark. Stupidly enough I did not change the rotor arm. Although only for the simple fact that I had the distributor spare but no rotor arm. All in all anyway I admitted defeat tonight and headed out into the country to my mechanic. He put the computer on it but unfortunately Flo (the car) didn't want to talk. He then took it for a drive around the country roads (a damned scary one I might add!!!). He came to the conclusion after the drive that it was deffo spark related. He's gonna spend a little time with diagnostics tomorrow as he kept the car and he's saying more than likely rotor arm although possibly the coil and at the extreme he said the brain could be sending the wrong signals once the engine heats up. My mechanic is ex Volvo and really easy paid so should be a cheap enough fix. I gave him my old T5 when the turbo went so the bits are there like coil and rotor arm. Keepin my fingers crossed although don't think its anything major. Was quite surprised though when he was telling me that to keep running the engine like that could lead to major trouble. Like unburnt fuel laying in the cat and burning it out or the extra virations stripping the engine mountings. I'll keep you's posted anyway guys and thanks.

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well alls sorted and £40 later my car is now running as it was supposed to. Heres the pain in the ass bit, After spending half the day going through everything and checking diagnostics and so on my mechanic discovered the problem. The ignition leads I fitted were actually no better than the ones they replaced. As the stuttering only occured when the engine was hot this makes the symptoms even stranger. Funny that but with another set of leads all seams good.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted out mate

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:

volvoturboman (Thursday 5th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had an identical fault last week, turned out it was my coil, trial and eror eh, glad your is sorted now tho mate

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phil_woods For This Useful Post:

volvoturboman (Thursday 5th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I spoke too soon, my problem is back, this has only all started since I jet washed the engine (see previous thread lol) I have replaced the coil, rotor arm and dizzy, plugs and checked everything else so on pay day Im gonna try some new leads. Any ideas if it could be anything else???

God I miss her...

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    i was always told never to jet wash a petrol engine bay!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yup i have been told that many times now, it caused no end of troubles with my car.......I shall never do it again. ever. ever. ever

God I miss her...

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Go stand in the naughty corner

LOL, only kidding, hope you get it sorted AGAIN

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks cameron, its the fourth time i have cured the problem only for it to come back now. can i get out of this corner yet???
    my legs hurt!

God I miss her...

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Yeah go on then

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoturboman View Post
    Right pulling my hair out now. 5 new spark plugs, replacement ignition leads and distributor cap but still stuttering. The stuttering however has changed its routine. Drives beautifully smooth for irst 3 or 4 miles, then will start missing mildly and not ery often for next 3 to 4 miles and then all hell breaks loose. It looses performance, chugs and sounds awful, sounds a bit like it ain't getting the right amount of petrol although according to the fuel gauge its getting far to much.

O' yeah its the car pictured below, V70 2.4 10valve
    just an idea it could be an airleak have your touched the manifolds or can you here air leaking but it sounds ether head gasket or the rotor arm.is the car idioling good when warmed up and does the car rev when not being driven .

Thread Information