Join Today
    trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks

oil + Filter change

Hi guys. gonna be doing this tomorrow on my '99 P1 ME7 V70, have you got any tips or advice for things to look out for. i know it's probably the simplest of jobs but i've not been under it yet so don't even know what i'm looking for to be honest, lol.
    thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You'll be fine. Only thing you might have to do is slighty jack the car up a little to get at the sump plug to drop the oil. You might be able to get at it but you'll have a hell of a time trying to loosen it with no room to move. So jack it, loosen it and drop it back down again. Should be able to take it out ok then. Filter is real easy to get to, you'll see it as soon as you stick your head under the car.

This user has no status

Thanks
    be careful removing filter housing, as its a plastic cup that you re use, the filter on yours is just a paper insert, and only refit hand tight (I wear a rubber glove to get a good grip)

P.s. always best to refit sump plug (with new washer) and filter, B4 refilling with oil (use a funnel for refilling, cos otherwsie it will probably end up everywhere (or is that just me )
    Last edited by cookie; Friday 6th November 2009 at 09:22.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I assume that you have already bought the parts needed but for future reference National Tyres do the job very often for less than you can buy the bits for.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I use genuine filter and fuch Titan XTR 5-30 fully synthetic about 16 quid for 5 litres (I buy several at a time, and use it in V40 as well)

Thanks
    10w40 semi synth according to carlube book. i'm quite friendly with my local motorfactors so i get a fairly decent discount

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i agree with the oil. Its better to run them on a slighty heavier oil when they get a bit older. I run mine on a really good quality 10-40w semi synth.

Thanks
    thanks guys
    my initial thoughts were they ran on 5w30 (well more of a hope than a thought, still got some left from my ford zetec!) got 2x5l bottles of good quality oil and oil filter for less than £25 so i was happy with that!
    all done now

Thread Information