Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

This weeks second fault is......... low boost

This piggin car has got something against me!

Two weeks ago it needed new tyres, last week a new maf, this week the exhaust fell off and for the weekend boost has dropped!
    I look after it, spend much to much money on it, i feed it good petrol, and i even valetted the inside last week and all it can do to repay my kindness is keep failing. I never used to have all these problems with my N plate T5, the R's it seems are a little highly strung.

I have just taken it out for a spin with a gauge on and at idle i get 15 in HG, at cruise i get 0 and flat out 4 psi spiking at 5 psi on kickdown, i cant remember what i had it set at when it was tuned, what are the normal figures? i remember having it turned down for 1st gear?

I have had a quick look under the bonnet and all pipes and elbows seem fine, i had them all replaced about a year ago, wastegate seems closed, i did have the air box out last week but i dont think i disturbed much then, the boost solenoid is all intact, i do have a spare to try but its dark at the mo.

Any other ideas out there?, is there a smoke test to locate leeks? Last time i lost boost it was because my intercooler exploded but it looks fine this time.

Pretty fed up, and i still have a hangover from last night

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

This user has no status

Thanks
    iirc it should be about -20 at idle(when warm), -24 on a coastdown. check around the vacuum tree, all pipes to and from it and double check the elbow under the power steering resovoir. definetly sounds like a boost leak
    Last edited by irf; Sunday 25th October 2009 at 18:51.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post

I have just taken it out for a spin ............

.......... i still have a hangover from last night

Steve
    Also you cant moan about tyres that are worn out!
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks

Wink what!!!

Originally Posted by ahhpigsy

I have just taken it out for a spin ............

.......... i still have a hangover from last night

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    Also you cant moan about tyres that are worn out!
    Yes i had been out for a spin and yes i did still have a bit of a hangover? I have no idea why you hijack a post to point this out?

The hangover i had was a headache, i had not had a drink for 19 hours, i like a good drink but i am sure i was good to drive!

The original post was tongue in cheek but i can and do blame the car for the worn out tyres, three months ago i had the front suspension replaced, it cost a grand and the tread pattern on the tyres had been set in place, so they wore out prematurely, the cars fault.

I love the car, its my sixth volvo, but when being honest they are not as indestructable and reliable as their reputation makes out, i know this and i still buy them, i am still happy!!

Back to the post, could anybody shed a bit of light on my boost problem, if i knew the correct psi figures it would be a help, when i get a chance at the weekend i will have a good look for a leak.

Thanks

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

Thread Information