Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile 850 T5 Questions

Hi guys,

I've been the owner now of my 1994 850 T5, for a few months, and firstly what a cracker of a car!

I've made a list of things that I feel are wrong with my car, I would value your opinions and thoughts on them

Firstly, when letting the clutch up to pull away, or change gear there is sometimes a warbling / groaning sound coming from underneath, I suspect this is the clutch release bearing at fault?

If that is the case, would it be worth replacing the clutch as well as the bearing? ( Is it true that 850R ones fit?) And, Can the Rear main oil seal be replaced at the same time without much extra labour?

Suspension - The car drives to an acceptable standard, however sometimes I hear clunks and clonks when going around town, 3 point turns and such. Also the car does seem to pull to the left ever so slightly ( I got the tracking done, but its still happening)

Am I right in thinking this is down tired 15 year old suspension? I suppose things like new top mounts, silicon bushes and trailing arms are going to work wonders here?

Engine - The car seems to use oil, I guesstimate around 300ml every 1000 miles, I use halfords 5w/40 Fully synthetic. I've noticed a damaged oil breather hose that appears to go to the engine block, I'm planning on renewing the PCV system and associated guff, aswell as any rubber / oil / turbo pipes I can get to, would this make a big difference?

I really love the car, its done 90000 miles, am I right in assuming these are all just normal problems?

I wasn't sure how to word it, but if your still reading this waffle, I just hope I can get the car to how it was meant to be.

Thanks

Bill

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Clunks and bangs could be a couple of things tbh, worn drop links, knackered top mounts, worn wish bone bushes, knackered ball joints etc etc

Im having the same trouble with mine at the minute, so far ive replaced the drop links, wishbones and some replacement legs.

Its a lot better but theres still something there

The engines do use oil like any other, 300ml per 1k doesnt sound a lot to be honest but maybe check for leaks.

Deffo get the PCV done, the rear main seal can be done at the same time as the gearbox being off for a new clutch, its easy one its all opened up.

Its getting the gearbox out thats the hard bit.

by the way

Any piccys of the T5 as ......

:

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Most of what you've described sounds like normal wear and tear, most of the stuff you need is readily available, you should Pm Rufe for parts prices. Replacing the clutch is a Big job and not one to be undertaken lightly unless you know what your doing, the 850R or T5-R clutch will fit and is a good upgrade on a standard car,being as the gearbox will have to come off to change the clutch you may as well replace the Rear main seal while it's off as it's only behind the flywheel. 90,000 on one of these cars is nothing, most of us would consider that engine barely broken in, get the jobs done and it should feel like a different car.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    The gearbox is quite a hard job but once its out the way its easy to do the rear main seal.

I worked in a garage and we changed a clutch and rear main seal in a T5R in less than a day.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You did have a ramp thou lee
    Living the volvo dream!!

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    They still let me use it now Sen, even though i dont work there anymore

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lucky begger
    Living the volvo dream!!

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I'd rather still have the job right enough, but they let me use the ramp if its free and i get all my parts for trade prices + mates rates for the labour

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quazzimodo View Post
    Engine - The car seems to use oil, I guesstimate around 300ml every 1000 miles, I use halfords 5w/40 Fully synthetic. I've noticed a damaged oil breather hose that appears to go to the engine block, I'm planning on renewing the PCV system and associated guff, aswell as any rubber / oil / turbo pipes I can get to, would this make a big difference?
    As said, they all use oil, I would had thought 5-40 is a bit thin for the T5, I use 10-40 semi in mine.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got told as mine is high mileage that I should switch to 10-40 and since I have it hasn't used a drop.

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As the colder weather sets in it cant hurt to use 10w/40, Maybe it'll make a difference.

There ya are Cameron...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice silversand
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Always use 10/40 semi

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Another Silver R fronted 850

Very nice

Looks the same colour as mine as well, Volvo 426 Silver metallic.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Got a rear main seal u can have if/when you decide to go ahead. PM me ur addy, will drop it off. Not an expensive part but no use to me now, shame to bin it!

Scrappage.....love it!!

Thread Information