Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question Glove Box lock out

Hi all

Someone on here said that there are two types of 850 those where the glove box mechanism had failed and those where it hadn't failed yet. Mine used to belong to the latter but has now joined the former.

I have just returned from two weeks holidaying in Southern Ireland. The car was a dream to drive, long straight roads, little traffic, few Garda and with petrol the equivalent of 62p a litre quite light on the pocket!

Two days before the end of the holiday there came an annoying noise from the dashboard. I opened the glove box to see if it was something in it that had moved, found nothing and closed it again, (gently). That was it no more rattle, no more opening the glove box

I have read the various methods that people have used to get the latch open and I wanted to know which is the one that is recommended. I would prefer to do no damage to the trim but don't relish hanging upside down in the footwell trying to trip the catch for 3 hours.

Suggestions, (clean only please).
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Oooo poor you, there is a method thats not too damaging which involves drilling a very small hole(1-2mm) in the front cover directly in front of the latch. Then push a small piece of stiff wire or other such item through the hole to release the catch. Look on the VOC forums for a complete set of instructions and how to pictures.

As far as I know its the only method of opening the glovebox without ripping the lid appart in the process. Shame about the small hole in the lid but at least it won't be too noticeable, just make sure you measure correctly. I did this on a friends car and miss measured three times, leaving three holes in the lid.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lol, are you still friends?
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Er actualy I use the word 'Friend' in the loosest possible terms, he's more like some mythering git who turns up now and again unanounced.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm surprised you didn't miss-measure a few more times then!!
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    I'd be more tempted to mismeasure and drill a couple of holes in his head!.

Previous cars:

This user has no status

Thanks
    DONT DRILL ANY HOLES!
    get a hack saw blade slide it in from the bottom and gently saw away the wire loop that the door locks into. Have a look at one first if you are not sure.
    Then go to the scrap yard get another one plus a glove box door , swap the door internals - bingo

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    If your gonna get a new glovebox door anyway then why not drill the hole?, its a damn site quicker method than hacksawing the latching bracket off from the rear!

Previous cars:

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    If you push up the lip at the bottom of the glove bow you can just about get access to the bottom 3 screws undo all these and with a torch and screwdriver/wire you should be see between the outer in inner skin which will enable you to open the latch.....

Mine took me about 4 hours and alot of swearing so be very patient.....but I had no damage as a result......

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

if you are doing it on the cheap the scrapyard may not have the correct colour trim ? but yeah it was a pain in the arse to do

This user has no status

Thanks
    I got hacked off faffing about trying to open my one gently and eventually took a bit and brace to the door.... totally wrecked the door but i had another one i was using to replace the internals.
    Has anyone seen the plot? I keep being told I've lost it, but I'm damn sure I never had it to start with..

'95 850T5 est. 'Big Green Giggle Machine'
    '91 Kawasaki ZZR600 'Sonic'
    '96 Landrover Discovery 300Tdi

This user has no status
    Thanks

DON"T DRILL HOLES !!!!!

I had exactly the same problem ! What's happened is there is a tiny pin on the cast alloy latch ( WHY MAKE A LOCK LATCH OF CAST ALLOY ????) which snaps off leaving your glove box shut ! Get a large hacksaw blade , with a pair of pliers , bend over the end to form a hook . Place this over the edge of your glove box - right in the centre. Give it a light to medium pull you should hear a cracking noise then the facia of the glove box should pull away from the lid itself - you should be able to access the back of the latch to open the box . If your careful you should be able to do all of this without damaging the facia of the glove box , allowing you to visit Mr Volvo's parts bin and get a new latch mechanism !!!
    Hope this helps !

ANDY
    NO USE GOIN IF YOU CAN'T GET !!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Andy

I've not seen this approach mentioned before.

I assume you mean that the front of the glove box separates from the rear section allowing access to the mechanism. How big a 'hook' did you use as I like the sound of this.

Thanks
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Martin,

The same happened to me - just as I was about to tax my car at the last minute! Due to lack of time and frustration, I ended up breaking the door, having wrenched the b****y thing open. Result - I was able to grab my documents and tax my car - but glove box door was sh****d. (local breakers had an 850 in, but someone had just already swiped the door!) So, to continue with my stupidity, I then visited Volvo and purchased a replacement door. This set me back an enormous £80!!!!!! Nope - it wasn't a gold plated version, but plastic just like the original!

Since then I have stumbled accross 2 or 3 doors that would have been a suitable replacement - doh! Should have waited I guess.

Anyway - I'll get to the point...
    If your interior is grey - (for a small fee) I have a replacement door (complete with lock and mech etc) - not in perfect nick obviously, but will defiantely do the job and save you ££££'s.

Let us know how you get on with the door - hope you get it sorted.
    Feel free to pm me if you want the door.

Good Luck!
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status

Thanks
    mattB i PM'd you
    cheers

Thread Information