Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Unhappy Policeman gets it wrong TWICE !!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG4sieuUsE[/ame]

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What a wonderful job they do to keep us safe....
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    How does he get it wrong?

Lorry driver shouldn't have been in 3rd lane, there was no traffic there at all, wierd.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    If you watch the lorry was moving over as it narrowed down to a 2 lane junction

The lorry driver should have looked, fair do's, but the police driver should have antisipated him moving over.

The lorry driver was going into his correct lane for the manouver he was doing but may not have looked, the police driver should have backed off when he seen the lorry moving over.

He even said himself he seen him moving over from a distance, so why not slow down, plus he never had his sirens or blues and two's on, only his headlights flashing, maybe the lorry driver thought he was flashing him across, as he was indicating

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    The commentary says he has more accidents than most. I think we can see why. That old red mist - disaster waiting to happen. I think he is letting his side down badly being seen like this - nobody is perfect, but this guy really comes across as a sanctimonious plonker. Self-justifying, self-important, not the sort of copper I pay my taxes to look after me. Loads of good uns out there in traffic (neighbour is retired Police instructor - some good stories there) - although I have to say I see some AWFUL Panda car driving in London - pity he seems to think he is so great.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't see why the lorry driver needed to move over into lane 3 the first place. Nightmare situation passing a vehicle at that speed and for that to happen! Not sure that the Blues and sirens would have made any difference.

New Identity
    Thanks
    There was nothin in the second lane.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sod the police man what about the poor Volvo!!!

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Yeah nice big gouge out the side of it, still it could have been a lot worse.

Lucky it had the bars along the side or he could have been under it

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    The commentary says he has more accidents than most. I think we can see why. That old red mist - disaster waiting to happen. I think he is letting his side down badly being seen like this - nobody is perfect, but this guy really comes across as a sanctimonious plonker. Self-justifying, self-important, not the sort of copper I pay my taxes to look after me. Loads of good uns out there in traffic (neighbour is retired Police instructor - some good stories there) - although I have to say I see some AWFUL Panda car driving in London - pity he seems to think he is so great.
    I agree that the police officer should have anticipated the move and at the very least put blues and twos on as he approached the roundabout. The sign clearly visible in the vid and it is likely that the lorry driver was anticipating turning right. But it is odd that the lane 3 disappeared later on just as the impact happened - so why would the lorry driver need to come over so far, unless he was unfamiliar with the junction.

PC Speedy not just assumed that the lorry wouldn't move to lane 3, especially if turning right at the roundabout. Lorry driver should have used mirrors better. I think it was 1/2 and 1/2. Legitimate use of high speed comes with even greater responsibility.

I feel there was some element of "collar at all cost." in combination of some pretty poor observation from the HGV driver.

Funnily no mention of prosecution was seen in the vid?
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Monday 12th October 2009 at 16:29.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    if you look at the previous road sign it looked like an island was coming up, maybe the truck was preparing to turn right at the island

as the police car caught him on a sweeping left the truck driver would of had most of his vision of the police car blocked by his own trailer

not once in that video despite the empty motorway did the police car use the left/inside lane

didn't think he needed blues & two's while doing lmost twice the speed limit?

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    if you look at the previous road sign it looked like an island was coming up, maybe the truck was preparing to turn right at the island
    Funny thats exactly what the lorry driver said! I know that road too well and that junction is particularly poor as the motorway ends at a roundabout which is just after a corner.

Second accident with the spin though could have happened to anyone and he did control the car well to keep it in lane 3.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    should of had blues and twos on at that speed , as cameron said the truck driver may have thought flashing headlights meant for him to pull across .
    the copper should have known the lanes narrowed to 2 at that point and adjusted his speed accordingly .
    i dont think flashing headlights at that speed are enough of a visual alert to other motorist's should have had blues on .
    maybe they should give him a car thats a bit less crash friendly than a volvo and see how brave he is then with his high speed driving

This user has no status
    Thanks
    best vid ive ever seen thought plod was perfect........result shame about the volvo though.
    bsr stage 2 chip [295bhp]
    iridium plugs
    manual boost controler [1 bar]
    bailey dump valve
    induction kit
    strut brace
    relocated horns
    18in wheels
    5mm wheel spacers
    pilar mount boost gauge
    [loads more to do]

1998 c70 t5 gt manual in saffron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bsr295 View Post
    shame about the volvo though.
    wonder if someone on the forum has got it now lol

New Identity
    Thanks
    Oh yeah my bad, there is a roundabout. But he still went into lane 3 when there were still two lanes left.

But then what the hell was he doin at 130 mph on the approach to a roundabout?

And, the video says that his headlights were flashing, but there's no reflection off the roundabout sign or on the back of the lorry. But when he turns the siren on, the reflection is noticeable on the lorry and every sign, Hmmmmmm interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    And, the video says that his headlights were flashing, but there's no reflection off the roundabout sign or on the back of the lorry. But when he turns the siren on, the reflection is noticeable on the lorry and every sign, Hmmmmmm interesting.
    i hope your no trying to say he was telling fibs, like when he was questioning the driver asks him how he didn't see him with his police lights on & points to the roof mounted blues which are now flashing after the crash

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i hope your no trying to say he was telling fibs, like when he was questioning the driver asks him how he didn't see him with his police lights on & points to the roof mounted blues which are now flashing after the crash

If you notice, he puts the blue lights and sirens on after the collision so as to pull the HGV over. He'd even said prior to that he'd had only his flashing headlights on before the crash. Whether the HGV driver mistook them as a "Come on out" gesture is irrelevant for 2 reasons:
    1 - Depends if they were flashing alternatively;
    2 - Flashing headlamps are a signal to indicate your presence on the road, not to be read as a signal to pull out.
    As a professional driver, the HGV guy should have been checking his mirrors more often. If he was then he should have realised that if the car's not there for the first check, but is for the second, then it must be approaching at some speed, right? Something else he should have taken into account.

Also, why would the cop want to use the left hand lane???

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubes View Post
    If you notice, he puts the blue lights and sirens on after the collision so as to pull the HGV over. He'd even said prior to that he'd had only his flashing headlights on before the crash.
    when he's talking to the HGV driver at the side of the road (while not wearing a hi-viz) after stopping him he asks "how he didn't see a police car with its lights on approaching", trying to insinuate he'd got his full blues on which he hadn't at the time of the collision

Whether the HGV driver mistook them as a "Come on out" gesture is irrelevant for 2 reasons:
    1 - Depends if they were flashing alternatively;
    2 - Flashing headlamps are a signal to indicate your presence on the road, not to be read as a signal to pull out.
    As a professional driver, the HGV guy should have been checking his mirrors more often. If he was then he should have realised that if the car's not there for the first check, but is for the second, then it must be approaching at some speed, right? Something else he should have taken into account.
    as i said earlier the HGV's mirrors would of mainly been full of his own trailer as they were on a sweeping left which wasn't helped by the police car being even more on his blind side by sticking to the middle lane. Plus the speed difference would between the truck doing 56mph & the car doing 130mph wouldn't of left him much time to do anything

Also, why would the cop want to use the left hand lane???
    because it was empty, the highway code says to always keep left (except if in a BMW lol) & there was no reason for him not to, if there had been a sliproad & risk of cars pulling out then i can understand it
    Last edited by p fandango; Monday 12th October 2009 at 19:55.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    "because it was empty, the highway code says to always keep left (except if in a BMW lol) & there was no reason for him not to, if there had been a sliproad & risk of cars pulling out then i can understand it"

LOL re: BMW comment!!

Re: Mirrors - The cop car would have been visible in the HGV's nearside mirror.

Re: Choice of lanes - Advanced drivers are taught to position your vehicle to allow for the best/farthest view of the road ahead. On a left hand bend that is out to the right.

I disagree with you comment about the cops 'insinuation' because that is your interpretation of what is said. Maybe he was a little ambiguous, but to me there was no insinuation.

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

Thread Information