Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts

Advice for a friend...

Well here is the story, a mate of mine has recently purchased a V70 but its not the T5 its a 2004 2.4 140 as he simply couldnt afford a T5.

Now he isnt dissapointed but would like abit more power, what are his options as to be honest I havnt a clue as its something ive never really poked about with.

All suggestions appreciated but on a really tight budget he says but cant spend a fortune.

Cheers folks!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    being such a modern model i'd say to go with a remap, if he wants to go any more itwould have to be an exhaust & filter

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    being such a modern model i'd say to go with a remap, if he wants to go any more itwould have to be an exhaust & filter
    Can you remap non turbo's? Didnt know you could, exhaust and filter I suppose are the obvious choices, seen a few "turbo's" and "superchargers" but personally I dont think they will be a worthy investment.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    Can you remap non turbo's? Didnt know you could
    LINK

exhaust and filter I suppose are the obvious choices, seen a few "turbo's" and "superchargers" but personally I dont think they will be a worthy investment.
    no for the price i'd of thought you pay for big hardware conversions like turbo's & charger's you might as well of gone for the T-5 in the first place

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im with the ped sell it and buy a t5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its virtually the same engine as my 97 V70 and apparently a remap can take it to 190 brake, I intend to get one in the new year.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Well here is the story, a mate of mine has recently purchased a V70 but its not the T5 its a 2004 2.4 140 as he simply couldnt afford a T5.

Now he isnt dissapointed but would like abit more power, what are his options as to be honest I havnt a clue as its something ive never really poked about with.

All suggestions appreciated but on a really tight budget he says but cant spend a fortune.

Cheers folks!
    from what i remember i think you can up the power to 170 bhp with a basic map speak to hamish at hlm

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Could this be fitted to the engine???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-2-3-T5-2...d=p3286.c0.m14

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks

Not as simple as that mate , like viking and pedro have said aside from a remap which for the gains is throwing money away , bin it and get an older T5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Can't answer that - I know they made a 2.4T, but I wouldn't be surprised if the manifold was different between the two models. Add to that that what's shown is minus pipework, intercooler, tune and other parts that may be necessary (e.g. fuel pump, boost control, injectors, possibly engine internals & cooling) and I think a T5 or 2.4T may have been cheaper...

If an off the shelf remap will give +30bhp, which is damned impressive on a N/A car, it's the most convenient route, and 30bhp is something you *will* notice! A 2.4 140bhp takes 10.5 seconds to 60mph, a 2.4 170bhp in the same car takes 1.5 seconds less -- which is a lot of seconds.

This user has no status

Thanks
    At least he will have saved some money by NOT getting a T5 due to the increase in road tax?.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I thought this 'advice for a friend' was about premature ejaculation or only being able to drink two pints...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 9th October 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    But enough about me...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 9th October 2009)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can't answer that - I know they made a 2.4T, but I wouldn't be surprised if the manifold was different between the two models. Add to that that what's shown is minus pipework, intercooler, tune and other parts that may be necessary (e.g. fuel pump, boost control, injectors, possibly engine internals & cooling) and I think a T5 or 2.4T may have been cheaper...

If an off the shelf remap will give +30bhp, which is damned impressive on a N/A car, it's the most convenient route, and 30bhp is something you *will* notice! A 2.4 140bhp takes 10.5 seconds to 60mph, a 2.4 170bhp in the same car takes 1.5 seconds less -- which is a lot of seconds.
    Agreed 30+ bhp on a N/A car is impressive, I asked today why he didnt just buy the 170 but when you see the condition its in and from what he says the price he got its pretty damn good.

At least he will have saved some money by NOT getting a T5 due to the increase in road tax?.
    I think its slightly cheaper but not much I know the T5 costs me £240 ish as I just renewed it!

I thought this 'advice for a friend' was about premature ejaculation or only being able to drink two pints...
    I just broke up laughing haha! Not advice id want to give anyone........

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    yeh just renewed mine - think it was ony £190, but forget to stick the disc in and today some retentive in a uniform gave me a ticket. £50 for failing to display a disc on the 8th of the f..ing month.
    Bah. BAaaah baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Try driving a 170 to see if its enough, if not sell and buy a D5 and chip or a 2.4 t or T5!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Make sure he does a 'Stage 0' before remap. Otherwise he won't get the best out of it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks

Cheers folks!
    As this is the PII 2.4 - i.e. the 20v vvt engine. Both the 140 and 170 engines themselves are EXACTLY the same, just the software is different. If you look at the torque curves for both, you'll see they are almost the same.

The 140 motor peaks at something like 4900rpm, and the 170 keeps going to 5800rpm. Think of it akin to a slack throttle cable!

Anyhow, certainly superchips or any of the volvo tuners will either update the map to 170 spec, or abit better for not too much ££.

Tim..

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Agreeing with Tim on this one,remap is the only option really,anything else is just not cost effective,the turbo fitting idea is not on the cards at all but a bit of "electrical tuning" makes good sense.
    Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    As this is the PII 2.4 - i.e. the 20v vvt engine. Both the 140 and 170 engines themselves are EXACTLY the same, just the software is different. If you look at the torque curves for both, you'll see they are almost the same.

The 140 motor peaks at something like 4900rpm, and the 170 keeps going to 5800rpm. Think of it akin to a slack throttle cable!

Anyhow, certainly superchips or any of the volvo tuners will either update the map to 170 spec, or abit better for not too much ££.

Tim..

Thread Information