Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Cool Another " Whats it worth " thread

I know, I know another " Whats it worth" thread

After talking with TC and Sen yesterday, nice to meet you sen im really considering selling the T5 and looking for an early V70R, maybe 98 plate.

You all know all the efforts that go into our cars and mine is no different, maintained very well, that well my mrs is pi55ed off that i spend so much time and money on it

Its a 1996 855 T5, its done 131600k, the only service history i have for it is what ive done, the previous owner whom i contacted after buying it of a trader sent me the wrong S/H as he sent me a load of stuff for a V40 T4

I have the service book with 11 stamps in it and a print out kindly sent to me by Rufe off the Volvo Database thats up to 112k iirc

Im the 3rd owner from new, the last owner, a doctor had it for 11 years and maintained it very well, spending £2.5k on it before deciding it was too big and bought the V40 T4.

Anywho ive replaced loads of this cars parts such as :-

Brakes all round ( disks and pads @ 124k )
    ABS Module ( from Readview @ 124k )
    Replaced all the bulbs, yes all of them on the whole car inc dash @ 130k
    PCV replaced ( genuine from Rufe and fitted by Adam at Readview @ 125k )
    Roof rails removed and replaced with V70 blanks @ 125k
    Cat replaced with a 2nd hand replacement @ 131k
    Aero wipers @ 131k
    Wishbones from Nordic, last week
    Drop links from Nordic, last week
    Strut top rubbers from Nordic, last week

So theres a wee bit of what ive done, as you all know there are a few mods ive done since buying it in october last year, such as :-

HLM 304 ( 257bhp ) 1/4 mile in 15.02 @ 94.6mph
    R Front Splitter
    R Lowering Springs
    Painted Grille ( Black )
    Painted Calipers ( Yellow )
    17" T5R Titan Alloys with Chrome Valves
    7 Seat Conversion
    T5R Wooden Effect Gear Selector
    Roof Rails removed
    Rear Spoiler
    High Level Brake light
    De-badged
    Pipercross Panel Filter
    Horns relocated
    V70 Clear Side Repeaters and Upper Rear Lights
    Volvo Decals and Mooses on Door bottoms, Grille and Tailgate
    Genuine Volvo Strut Brace
    Poly Top Mount
    Limo Black Tinted Rear Windows
    Newer style wheel centers
    Wing mirrors colour coded
    Front fogs replaced
    Genuine Volvo mats

So its had some money spent on it, most of which i wont get back, but its well above the average T5 that are on Ebay and P/H.

A few little things though, theres a very small crack in the corner of the rear bumper, theres a very small dent at the top of the drivers door, theres a light scratch along both the passenger side doors, i could have got it painted while the bumpers were being done but i forgot about it mainly because its so hard to see, the wheels could do with a refurb after the mrs kerbed them in asda car park

Oh and you need to like Yellow, the mooses are carbon effect with yellow outers and obviously the engine bay has a very small bit in there as well

Heres a few piccys :-

Any comments welcome, really just looking for a guide to what i should be asking or expect to get for it.

Cheers

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Advertise it for £1500, expect to get nearer £1250 i'd say.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    I think Chris has got it about right mate, what's going on first sen wants out of the 850 club for a s70r and now you for a v70r,....

Should sell easy though mate that cars a credit to you

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Surely its worth more than that

Sold my white one to paul with no mods except the Tethys and a dv on it for more than that

Wisebuyers who are low anyway list it at £1200 with no mods good private and £1600 dealer.
    Last edited by cameron; Saturday 3rd October 2009 at 17:36.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    It's only worth what someone is willing to pay mate. In your eyes it's worth more, but to any potential buyers it's gonna be worth a lot less. We're all in the same boat, i've spent thousands on my S70, but what's it worth realistically?! Sometime's your better off with the devil you know! You've already spent time and money on this one, unless your willing to take a reasonable hit on it, i'd keep it.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post

Sold my white one to paul with no mods except the Tethys and a dv on it for more than that

Wisebuyers who are low anyway list it at £1200 with no mods good private and £1600 dealer.
    The problem is the mods probably put the average buyer off the car...... I mean it would appeal to another volvo nut such as myself but I think many people would run a mile. I reckon you would get more breaking it than selling whole.

On the positive side the days of 5k V70 Rs are long gone! So you are really looking at the cost of change being hundreds rather than thousands because although more sought after the R & T5r's are also selling dirt cheap.

I'm toying with the idea of tuning mine and getting the paintwork sorted out (damn fading red paint!), but browsing on ebay/pitonheads/autotrader etc show I could probably buy a really tidy T5R or modded T5 for less than what it would cost to have the work done on mine.

Old cars are so cheap now that they are virtually disposable items.... buy a (reliable) run around for £500, keep the tyres legal and weigh it in for scrap value when anything significant goes wrong! Sky high mechanic labour rates don't help either..... £500+ to do the RMS on the volvo!

I think you should hang on to it to be honest mate, 132k is pretty low mileage considering..... it is really tough to find T5s with less than that on the clock.

Is it an auto or manual btw?
    Last edited by BigV; Saturday 3rd October 2009 at 19:14.
    854 T5 Auto.

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    If it was mine i'd want 1500£ for it but as people have said you can get an R now very cheap.. There was one on pistonheads and i think on here that was up for 1800£.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks

I wouldn't get £1500 for mine now, and thats after a £1700 LPG conversion.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    As said above your car isn’t worth as much as it is too you. You say you want to buy a V70R I have one and yes in my eyes it is a bigger improvement than the 850's, it still has some youth on its side but to be honest there still not a new car and the difference between an 850 and a V70 isn’t that much. Why don’t you go down the more modern R route look at libra, his S60R is 6K that car is light years in front of a V70R and is only about 3 or 4 thousand more, and at the end of the day if you buy a V70R you'll want to mod it and you'll realize that half the mods your putting onto it is from the last of the R range. Buy a newer R while there in good condition look at our cars now finding a good one is finding increasingly more difficult.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mate I know its dissapointing and especially as its been your pride and joy for so long. Thing is in this country those of us who appreciate what you have are few and far between, sad but true. Best of luck and hey for all it would cost stick it on ebay with the reserve that you want then at the very least you could see how high the bids go.

I'll help you out here mate, I'll start bidding, 50 quid lol.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would say Chris has got it right. They are old boxy, thirsty cars now that only an enthusiast might be into. They are not in a classic wanted area either andy your normal punter looking for a family estate will run a mile from these now. Even the T5Rs and 850Rs are not pulling massive money, my yellow one has a few mods, good condition, has a rairty tag on it I suppose and I doubt that would pull 2 grand, but thats the market these days, petrol aint cheap either ! If its so good keep it, you may end up with a dog and you would regret it!

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Best thing to do lee is slap it on ebay with a reserve and see what it makes i just have one thing to say though i would get rid of he yellow in the engine bay rub it down and just get a couple of tins of silver i think it would then wouldnt put alot of people off.
    Pete

This user has no status
    Thanks
    do what iv done.stop using it and buy a s40 diesel...there no that bad..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The engine bay is disastrous I think, much better plain black and as supplied. Kinda saxo'ish, too nice from the outside to then find that, kinda like going out with Jordan and finding out she has dentures!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    fb.dont suppose you fancy some 18"pegs?thinking of sellin mine and your pretty close..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its only worth what someone will pay for it m8....but like its been said before, its your pride n joy etc etc. I wouldnt want to sell mine (i didnt pay a lot for it) But i would certainly make money on it!
    P.S Put the engine bay back to standard..... Look sooooooo much better

J5
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie69 View Post
    fb.dont suppose you fancy some 18"pegs?thinking of sellin mine and your pretty close..
    Just took my pegs off, I have replaced them with Volans.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    just thought id ask...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stevie69 For This Useful Post:

The Flying Banana (Saturday 3rd October 2009)

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Cheers for all the comments guys

Ive already started buying the replacement engine bits to return it to standard, and i will rub down the strut brace and paint it back silver

If i didnt get £1500 + for it id keep it and go down the route of more power, probably a 19t and bigger injectors etc etc

Its such a shame that in these recession hit days that these cars fetch so little money, what else can you buy for so little money that gives everything, loads of power, full leather, all the toys, and that are so versatile, it makes me sad

The T5 was my dream car as a pubescent teenager and if no-one else wants it then i'll keep her

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Cheers for all the comments guys

Ive already started buying the replacement engine bits to return it to standard, and i will rub down the strut brace and paint it back silver

If i didnt get £1500 + for it id keep it and go down the route of more power, probably a 19t and bigger injectors etc etc

Its such a shame that in these recession hit days that these cars fetch so little money, what else can you buy for so little money that gives everything, loads of power, full leather, all the toys, and that are so versatile, it makes me sad

The T5 was my dream car as a pubescent teenager and if no-one else wants it then i'll keep her

There's no way I'm selling mine, after all, what other car offers so much for so little?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

PaulZX (Sunday 4th October 2009)

Thread Information