Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

850 t5 Fuel consumption

I have finally found a t5, collected it on saturday, so far im happy enough with the car, but having a few problems.

Fuel consumption is pretty bad, im lucky to get 60-70 miles from £20 (116p/l) Bp ultimate

Under heavy acceleration theres alot of smoke, and sometimes theres no boost at all.

I will get some pictures up soon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If my calculations are right then that works out at roughly 18mpg.
    I have a fairly heavy right foot and can average as low as that if not lower on a particularly fast drive. So it all depends on how fast you were driving.
    The black smoke and lack of boost really doesn't sound good though!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thats a mixture of driving.
    When i first bought the car i took it for a spirited drive on the motorway, when i came off the motorway i noticed the smoke, it was a bit like an old diesel. When its idling its fine no smoke at all, there does seem to be quite a strong smell of petrol tho.

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks
    What colour is the smoke? Strong smell of petrol suggests a leak buddy..

As for no boost.......start by checking for leaks..

This user has no status

Thanks
    The smoke is black. A leak would suggest the high consumption i guess.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can get 26 - 28mpg average if i drive with a very light right foot, if im giving it some large (which i often do) it can go as low as 14 - 17mpg ave. The smoke doesnt sound good tho Is it using oil?

J5
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    them figures do seem a bit low, since fitting my 18t i put £20 of tesco 99 (approx 18.5 litres) and i have done 105 miles and my light has come back on.
    not sure exactly waht that is but my computer saus around 26mpg. hth

Christine's Babysitter
    Thanks
    I get around 310 miles from a full tank on my 850 T5, Mr PA gets around 290, so your figures are low. Have a look at the oil, is it black and gritty? Any sign of water? Black smoke would suggest a problem with rings (oil being burnt in the cylinder) and strong smell of petrol could be either a leak or a buggered O2 sensor chucking too much petrol in the bores.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Black smoke usually appears from an overfuelling problem. You could have a coolant temp sensor problem, a fuel pressure regulator problem, an injector problem, a lambda sensor problem. I would get the fault codes read from the diagnostic box or OBD plug depending on which it has. I stored fuel trim code could possibly lead you to diagnose the problem but a little investigation work is required.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    It sounds like its overfuelling a lot - I'd check the intercooler pipes and vacuum pipes for splits/leaks. This would seem to be confirmed if you're not getting boost ?
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Sorry to Hijack slightly

But how do i check for fuel leaks, i got a right old wiff of petrol this morning, quite un-nerving

On the fuel consumption figures, i have had mine as low as 12ish and had it as high as 45 just depends on how you drive it and wether its auto or manual will also make a difference

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Sorry to Hijack slightly

But how do i check for fuel leaks, i got a right old wiff of petrol this morning, quite un-nerving
    Easy. Same way as checking for a gas leak - take one match...

(sorry)

Best bet is to check the fuel lines and their connections for signs of leakage - its not as easy as it seems as the fuel will evaporate leaving little trace. One way to check (if its dry) is to use chalk on the joints - just lightly smear/cover the joints with chalk then start the car. Although the fuel will evaporate, it should leave telltale marks in the dust. Thats the theory anyway - I've never done it myself.

Obviously if the smell is strong, I wouldn't advise a DIY check, but would take it to a garage - apart from anything else, they should have good fire extinguishers!
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Monday 28th September 2009 at 17:15.

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Its sorted

The hose that comes off the end of the metal fuel line and into the injector rail had split at both ends allowing the petrol to freely pour out once the car was running

I knew there must have been a leak somewhere as i was always at the petrol station every other day and i wasnt driving it about that much.

Cheers anyway guys

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Glad you sorted it, that could have had some nasty precussions.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for your help guys.

I think it is an O2 sensor, going to plug it into the computer to check, but would that cause the loss in power as well?
    Last edited by vpcukTommy; Tuesday 29th September 2009 at 11:57.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Glad the leak is sorted out Cameron.

Tommy, its possible that it is an O2 sensor, however don't assume that it is faulty - even if the fault codes highlight a faulty unit. Leaky hoses often cause the same errors to be logged - and are cheaper to fix Of course it may be the sensor, but do some checking of the hoses first.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Just been a wee run, 5.4 miles, before i fixed the fuel leak i had a juddering like blocked injector syndrome, but now its gone

Fuel average has went from 17.3 up to 23.6, the run was all in 30mph limit with speed bumps all over so not a smooth run by any means, but well chuffed its sorted itself out
    Last edited by cameron; Tuesday 29th September 2009 at 13:40.

This user has no status

Thanks
    speed bumps

What are those we dont see those in these parts lol

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Lucky you

Probably the reason my wishbone bushes ( Replaced ) and top mounts are knackered ( lowers bought awaiting uppers )

Should ask them to fork out for new bits for my car as its rattling itself to bits.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Lucky you

Probably the reason my wishbone bushes ( Replaced ) and top mounts are knackered ( lowers bought awaiting uppers )

Should ask them to fork out for new bits for my car as its rattling itself to bits.
    Damn right. They made our street a 20mph zone and liberally dotted speedhumps of various designs all over the place. Not good in an 850R with the lower suspension - I hold my breath every time. The barstewards

Thread Information