Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Removing wax/polish etc

If i wanted to remove all wax and polish etc from my car in order to start from scratch and machine polish etc whats the best way of doing it?

Im not rich so can anyone reccomend a low cost product to do this?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cutting compound and an electric mop mate and loads of water. If you don't know what your doing though find someone who does because it can kill your paintwork quite quickly. If done correctly though there is nothing bettter, it brings up the paint like new. I'm not sure about this one but I think tfr (traffic film remover) watered down also removes some of it too. I have been advised though not to use this on paint due to it's acidity. So I don't know why I suggested it really.
    The mop is the best way to go! Good luck

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    the best way to go about this is too get yourself a clay kit from halford's Meguires do one for around the £20 mark. Follow the instructions very easy to do just keep the clay well lubricated with your quick detailing spray. You will see the crap come off on your clay. Before you start rub your hand over your paint work it will probably feel rough after claying it will feel smooth due to the clay removing all the contaminants. ie tree sap etc. If you just go straight with the buffer before claying it is a pointless exercise really cos all your doing it creating swirls etc with the crap that is stuck to the paint. Any further questions pm me mate happy to help.
    Living the volvo dream!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree totally with what sen has typed. Buy a Meguiars Quik Clay kit and wash the car using a 2 bucket method, dry and then clay the whole car, then re wash dry and do what you want to do, corrective polishing, then glaze and then a good wax.

The Clay will strip wax and polish from the paint.
    Darren

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Best get some clay then.

As for products ive got Auto Glym Ultra deep shine, Turtle wax Colour magic, Extreme nanotech polishing wax and some Simoniz Diamond hard wax and some Farecla G3.

My plan was to do the cutting with the G3 using the polisher, then colour magic it, top that with the Autoglym then finally a coat of the diamond hard wax.

Bearing in mind im only a beginner does that sound a good way to go?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Colour magic is not very good stuff IMHO. All you end up doing is staining the scratches.

Best to go with Menzerna Intensive Polish to cut the paint with a good cutting pad - then glaze it, seal it and find a nice LSP (last stage product) you like.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Colour magic is not very good stuff IMHO. All you end up doing is staining the scratches.

Best to go with Menzerna Intensive Polish to cut the paint with a good cutting pad - then glaze it, seal it and find a nice LSP (last stage product) you like.
    THe car looks fantastic when i use it though. Better than any of the other products i have IMO.

The Menzerna stuff is expensive too and not really form me. I want the best shine i can get on a budget

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Have a look here for good prices on polishes etc. http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/index.html Excellent service too. Lots of good advice and a discount code on this forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

If you don't have a power polisher yet, I'd recommend you get a DA one rather than a radial one - they're much kinder (safer!) to newbies (like me). I bought a Kestrel and am very happy with it - brought my pink bonnet back to scarlet red. Just got the rest of the car to do...
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As you are on a tight budget mate do your machining with your g3 (carefully) then use some autoglym super resin polish. It is underrated will give you a good finish. You can apply this by hand or buffer, it is also a very light cut too. Good luck mate and enjoy
    Living the volvo dream!!

Thread Information