1, can anyone tell me where the fuel pressure regulator is on a 98 v40 t4

2, is the FPR same on all v40's or is the t4 different

3, what should the pressure be and how can test it

any help would be great

This user has no status
    Thanks
    1. behind the fuel rail, between injectors #1 and #2
    2. same on 2.0T and T4, not sure about the others
    3. pressure should be plentybar (check a Haynes manual), connect a pressure tester to the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail and turn the ignition to position 2 so the pump primes. Or, without a pressure tester, ignition pos 2, pump primes, ignition off, prod the schrader valve gently with a small screwdriver and if fuel covers the engine bay and squirts in your face, there's enough. No smoking.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    AFAIK the FPR on the fuel rail is set to 3.1 bar

I seem to remember that one guy on here (think it was powernut with the T5 in his beetle) used a tyre inflator gauge (one from a compressor kit), but I'm not sure how safe that would be.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The fuel pressure regulator on the V40 is located in the fuel rail with all the injectors, and comes off as a unit. First you have to remove the plastic engine cover and look for it. It has blue connectors on one side. When you see the fuel injector rail on the left hand side of it there is a tyre type valve to lower the fuel pressure so it won't blow right into your face, and the fuel pressure regulator is connecter to the right hand side of the fuel injector rail. You just take it out (there is one screw to unscrew it) and then you can take it out of the rail and put in a new one.

I would suggest that it may have a different pressure setting than other V40's i.e maybe a higher pressure on the turbo models but im not 100% on that one!

It is possible to test the pressure by attaching a pressure guage to that "tyre" type valve on the end of the injector rail.... but im not sure what type, maybe someone on here will know

Regards

J5
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    1. behind the fuel rail, between injectors #1 and #2
    2. same on 2.0T and T4, not sure about the others
    3. pressure should be plentybar (check a Haynes manual), connect a pressure tester to the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail and turn the ignition to position 2 so the pump primes. Or, without a pressure tester, ignition pos 2, pump primes, ignition off, prod the schrader valve gently with a small screwdriver and if fuel covers the engine bay and squirts in your face, there's enough. No smoking.
    My kind of mechanicing! lol....... and yeah DEFO NO SMOKING or NAKED FLAMES
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny5 For This Useful Post:

Al115 (Wednesday 23rd September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    just tested the pressure and I could fart harder.so ive taken it apart to clean it and will refit it tomorrow in daylight

where is the cheapest place to get a new one from or a second head one

thanks

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Only info I can find is that its 3.1 bar for those engines (including T4)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information