Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts

Will everyone stop flashing at me?!

I have replaced my aftermarket headlights with genuine Volvo MY2003 clear ones. I retained the HIDs. I've lined them up with the real-deal MOT measuring device, yet I am often flashed by other drivers at night?

Now I asked a chap in a 4x4 when we chanced at the same service station on the M5 last night about it. I asked if the lights were too bright? He said that they were very bright indeed but "not as bad as some".

I have employed the lowering motors on the dash to dip them down further - but to my mind they need not be? I should be able to run with them in normal position - shouldn't I?

Everything is very clear - but I worry about causing accidents for other motorists.

Any direction from traffic officers on this site would be welcomed. Other opinions welcomed too.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    HID's on oncoming cars are a pain in the arse on country lanes, or dark motorways..

That said, I'll probably fit them at some point.......

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dave... try drivin with ya lights off at night... then u wont get flashed.. just hold a torch out the window as u drive.. problem solved.....

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well I am fitting some new bilstein shocks (FSDs are shot) in a week or so - I will check the alignment again. TBH I think compare with the projectors - these are much better from my perspective, but maybe not so from everyone elses.

I get flashed by trucks - coming the other way!!

For now I have used the dipping motors to reduce the throw by 2 stops. They are awesome on their own when no-one else is about.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    My HID are good and bright - although whether my MOT man passes them is a moot point - but no-one flashes me.
    Maybe they just like your car?

Or want to meet you???
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Peugeot Halogen and HID lights are THE WORST and they are factory fit, infact I find most headlights on the motorway at night a nightmare(no pun lol) just get blinded all the time.

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Peugeot Halogen and HID lights are THE WORST and they are factory fit, infact I find most headlights on the motorway at night a nightmare(no pun lol) just get blinded all the time.
    I used to have that problem, so I bought a set of night driving glasses. They are great, and another advantage with them is when I'm driving on the motorway in heavy rain and passing wagons they seem to give me better vision.

So at night the oncoming headlight's intensity is cut and in th wet they help as well.

So I don't care is people have HID lights.

What I will say is some of them seem to be much brighter than others
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Are they HID burners fitted into headlamp units designed for Halogen bulbs ? If so, the beam pattern will be wrong. This is interesting :-

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Perhaps that's why you're being flashed.

Besides, if the above is true, they're illegal :-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cornclose For This Useful Post:

readview (Saturday 17th October 2009),Wobbly Dave (Saturday 19th September 2009)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I'll get them rechecked when I return from Holland next weekend. I would not have said the pattern was all over the place.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Retro fitting HIDs to Halogen type lights create to much beam scatter. In projector type lamps they work very as the beam pattern can be focused much more in a direct manner where required.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    I've got the later jewel headlamps in my c70 along with Philips extreme power bulbs and they are great. No need for the hids imo.

Also aftermarket hid kits are not approved for road use as automatic levelling and headlight washing systems are required to meet ECE regulations, so you may even fail the mot test. It's a bit of a grey area as to wether they are legal or not aswell.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Saturday 19th September 2009)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    Retro fitting HIDs to Halogen type lights create to much beam scatter. In projector type lamps they work very as the beam pattern can be focused much more in a direct manner where required.
    I got rid of the projector lights as I was unhappy with amount of light produced. Now I have too much. For now I have knocked the leveling motors to half way - and so far no-one has flashed at me and this evening I followed behind one of Shropshires finest in an Astra diesel - and no complaints. I may yet ditch the HIDs if mike thinks they are ok without.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have standard t5 headlight units with osram nightbreakers (upgrade 'xenon' bulbs which are 'upto 80% brighter') and they are a vast improvement over standard halogen bulbs, and of course you retain the nice clear, sharp beam pattern. Aswell as remaining legal.

They are noticably 'white' rather than yellow when compared to ordinary halogen bulbs too. I also have a pair of ultra bright White LED side light bulbs which remove the yellowness. All in all they look almost like factory fitted HIDs when switched on.
    Last edited by cornclose; Sunday 20th September 2009 at 08:50.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are plenty of drivers out there who don't know anything about hid's and think your driving with main beams on because they are so bright!!!!
    This could be the case?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Just bought some Osram nightbreaker bulbs - h7 for main beam and h1 for fogs - for half the price on PFV via amazon, with free 1 day delivery! How awesome is that!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    tell as how you get on
    Thanks
    Martyn

19. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 29th January 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are now HID's available with the black tip the same as halogen bulbs have to have.
    This is the cause of 95% of all the "problems" that HID owners have on a retrofit.
    www.hids4u.co.uk are the 1st to have them and they are the biggest importer out there.
    They also have http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/
    Same company just slightly different pricing as the "direct" site is aimed at the chav end of the market.
    I have used them loads of times and always pick them up myself as its only 15mins from me. They have some proper goodies in the warehouse and will happily do split kits for those who have different bulbs, bike, etc.

This user has no status

Thanks
    most humans cannot tell the difference between bright & high.... why on earth they let them drive a couple of tons of car is beyond me.....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I've had Osram nightbreakers in for two years or so now (in both dipped and main beam clusters), and I must say the longevity of them is awesome, not had to replace them yet. They're supposed to be brighter than standard, but I could only tell a slight difference in them. They do seem to light the road pretty well.

I got them off ebay for around Ł10-12 with free delivery, and they were sent really quick! So cheaper than standard halfords bulbs. Definately worth it anyway
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Just bought some Osram nightbreaker bulbs - h7 for main beam and h1 for fogs - for half the price on PFV via amazon, with free 1 day delivery! How awesome is that!
    I stock these now and used the free samples i got off the rep to replace the philips i originally had in. By far the best bulbs i've ever used.

Thread Information