Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Beyond stage 3 mods

Beyond a remap, sports cat, catback exhaust and panel filter, how effective are other performance mods? I am asking about mods such as reverse intercooling, induction kits, uprated intercooler, enlarged throttle bodies, me7 manifolds, 2.5 n/a cams, etc.

How do they affect performance/economy? Any pros and cons? Basically, are they worth doing? Or would it be easier to gain more by going for something like a 19T, injectors and rods instead?

Ed

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cant go wrong with a bigger turbo and intercooler

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    once you've done the easy mods then you start having to pay more to get the bhp. I like to do very little mods anyway, they may not make much difference by themselves, but if the more you do the more it helps

i had reverse flow as standard so can't make a direct comparison, but others have said it makes a noticable difference in spool up time changing from the normal. When i first fitted my 19t (with S60R manifold & Ferrita 3" downpipe) it was very very laggy compared to my old 15g & was quite disappointed, i then made my own reverse pipework with bigger 3" pipes & using a ported & polished 960 throttle body which made the world of difference & now say it spools up quicker than my 15g ever did. The downpipe & manifold were fitted the same time as the new turbo so no idea how much they help on there own, the S60R manifold is said to flow 35% better than a stock T-5 one

i've always ran induction kits so any no comparison with panel filters, but i'm more than happy with them & never had any issues with heat soak. & you have a look at all the monster big BHP cars, how many of them run open cones!!

a 19t with the enlarged reverse flow & 960 throttle body is a very good mod (ask FFM), not cheap but certainly worth it (you'll need new studs, gaskets, downpipe & might as well do the manifold while your under there). The boost just never runs out, keeps pushing all the way to the rev-limiter. Rods are only worth doing if your planning on running silly high-boost levels, in which case you'll also need the turbo, injectors, custom remap etc to be able to make the most of them. Injectors on there own will give no benefit as they'll only have to get it custom mapped & they'll be supplying the same amount of fuel as your orange injectors, only at a lower duty rate

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Ed. (Saturday 12th September 2009),Flatout Phil (Monday 14th September 2009),Jamest5r (Saturday 12th September 2009),kevin 850t (Friday 11th September 2009),PaulZX (Monday 14th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can't wait to see yours next year at avon pedro
    Living the volvo dream!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sen View Post
    I can't wait to see yours next year at avon pedro
    your not the only one mate lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Ed, It was good to see you avon, I'd say go for a downpipe next, after my mte map this was the biggest performance gain, i had more power at higher revs. I've just changed my intercooler and although not as noticeable power increase it does seem to pull better on our occasional hot days, i've yet to try it when its cold but i'm looking forward to it.

Like the others have said, bigger turbo is the way forward, I didn't want to swap turbo's but i've reached the limit of the 15G and still want more.

Cheers, Rob
    14.153 @101mph 1/4 Mile
    DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

CHRYSLER 300C CRD SRT DESIGN
    313 BHP / 532 ft/lb / 0-60 5.28 SECS
    14.4 1/4 MILE @ 98 MPH

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T5 ROB For This Useful Post:

Ed. (Saturday 12th September 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for your input guys. I am already running a sports cat, though this has just been welded into the original downpipe. Would a 3" downpipe make a big difference?

I'm at a cross roads at the moment. I was originally going to leave it as is, but the times i got at avon has given me more food for thought. However, without spending another wedge of money, it looks like there isn't a massive amount to be gained. The spool up from my 15g isn't exactly slow as it is now.

How much is a 18T/19T these days? Would it be unwise to upgrade to a bigger turbo on my auto box?

Ed

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Thanks for your input guys. I am already running a sports cat, though this has just been welded into the original downpipe. Would a 3" downpipe make a big difference?I'm at a cross roads at the moment. I was originally going to leave it as is, but the times i got at avon has given me more food for thought. However, without spending another wedge of money, it looks like there isn't a massive amount to be gained. The spool up from my 15g isn't exactly slow as it is now.

How much is a 18T/19T these days? Would it be unwise to upgrade to a bigger turbo on my auto box?

Ed
    Yes mate, the more air you can get into then out of your engine the better it will perform

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Ed, the 3" downpipe on mine made quite a bit of difference, holding boost for longer and pulling stronger all through the rev range. I had a race cat and system before i had mine fitted so you would notice a difference.

If you plan on getting a bigger turbo i'd wait and get it done when changing turbo which i'd go for a 19T because there's more about. There are loads of people running 19T's with auto with no problems, so go for it and i'll race you at the next drag day.

Cheers, Rob
    14.153 @101mph 1/4 Mile
    DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

14.4 1/4 MILE @ 98 MPH

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for your input guys. I am already running a sports cat, though this has just been welded into the original downpipe. Would a 3" downpipe make a big difference?

I'm at a cross roads at the moment. I was originally going to leave it as is, but the times i got at avon has given me more food for thought. However, without spending another wedge of money, it looks like there isn't a massive amount to be gained. The spool up from my 15g isn't exactly slow as it is now.

Ed
    Hi Ed, check out this company in The Netherlands- I'm taking my auto to them next year to get their stage 4 kit fitted. The owner Marc is very knowledgeable and helpful especially regarding autos and how far you can go with them. Go to their online shop and look at the "motor" section- lists everything mate

http://www.europeantuning.nl/shop_nl.htm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by T5 ROB View Post
    Hi Ed, the 3" downpipe on mine made quite a bit of difference, holding boost for longer and pulling stronger all through the rev range. I had a race cat and system before i had mine fitted so you would notice a difference.

If you plan on getting a bigger turbo i'd wait and get it done when changing turbo which i'd go for a 19T because there's more about. There are loads of people running 19T's with auto with no problems, so go for it and i'll race you at the next drag day.

Cheers, Rob
    im hoping to play drag racing with you at the next meet also i hope you can give me a head start ive seen your car go and mine is only a 940 saloon dont forget

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

T5 ROB (Wednesday 16th September 2009)

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    I'm only running the 19T downpipe, and mine does ok, so I'd say the benefit of a 3" is possibly overrated, but you never know, mine might go faster with it.

Reverse I/C 3" pipes reduces lag, but make sure your joints are tight, I've been bitten by boost pipe blow offs three times now, and it never happens in a convienient location.

The 960 throttle body helps accelleration, but it's an arse to drive round town with it, hence why I now have both, one for racing.

My fuel economy has improved, when I drive the car at normal road speeds, by about 4mpg, and motorway speeds by about 6mpg, due to the engine being more efficient.

I'd reccommend having both throttle bodies in a useable state, as it only take 10 mins max to swap em over, doing the exhaust manifold at the same time as the turbo makes sense, and at least get a cat-back exhaust. Mine's 2.5" stainless, and it's nice and quiet. As for induction, I've got a K&N panel in a drilled but standard issue airbox.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    it also a good idea to fit a 100 cell race cat because the standard 1 is ceramic and after age they block up

This user has no status

Thanks
    Rob, a 19T would be nice. Did you have your mbc before your remap? How do they perform working together? I notice on my remap that there is very little/no boost under 4000rpm in 1st gear, its no wonder i hardly ever get wheelspin when pulling away. Its probably also the reason why my 60ft time has never been below 2.5s. Either way, i would still love to race you at the next drag meet :

Thanks for the link JelT5, lots of toys hmmmm, must brush up on my dutch though.

FFM, why is the 960 throttle body a pain for town driving? It sounds like the other mods are good for improving spool up, which useful if i go for a bigger turbo. Not as beneficial if i stick with my 15g.

Ed

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks

FFM, why is the 960 throttle body a pain for town driving? It sounds like the other mods are good for improving spool up, which useful if i go for a bigger turbo. Not as beneficial if i stick with my 15g.

Ed
    the 960 throttle housing is a good 25% bigger than the 850, and it makes the gas pedal a very on/off thing, (I think) because of the bck pressure against the plate, you need more foot mower to move it, and by the time you've prssed hard enough, the butterfly springs to 1/4 open, which is further than halfway open onan 850 housing, resulting a sudden surge of power... an ass-ache in a traffic jam on and off BRAKES on off BRAKES.. you get the drift...

Thanks

960 throttle body on the left, standard T-5 one on the right

20. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Tuesday 15th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am going to have to do that myself pedro, thanks for the heads up,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    I am going to have to do that myself pedro, thanks for the heads up,
    its very easy to do mate, you'll need to enlarge the port on the inlet manifold to allow the butterfly to open fully, & extend the wires for the TPS as its turned 90degrees on the 960

23. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Wednesday 16th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know a friend that could knock a few of them up for very little cost, leave it with me might make it a group buy
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Ed, I had mine mapped first but it was only boosting to 12 PSI and i wanted more so fitted a MBC and set it at 15 PSI, after fitting the 3" downpipe it increased to 18 PSI which is where its at now, i've not had any problems but you just have to be carefull in high gear and low revs.

Cheers, Rob
    14.153 @101mph 1/4 Mile
    DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

14.4 1/4 MILE @ 98 MPH

Thread Information