Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

ABS and Trac light coming on

I think my car has fallen out with me. Every time I fix one little niggle another pops up in its place! This time its the ABS and tractions control light coming on on the dash. It seems to happen pretty randomly. Some days its fine others its on all day. Sometimes they come on and go off again in a little bit. is this a common V70 problem? I have a V70 t5 '98 and my uncle has a V70 2.5 '99 and his does the same. Quick fix??

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywolf View Post
    I think my car has fallen out with me. Every time I fix one little niggle another pops up in its place! This time its the ABS and tractions control light coming on on the dash. It seems to happen pretty randomly. Some days its fine others its on all day. Sometimes they come on and go off again in a little bit. is this a common V70 problem? I have a V70 t5 '98 and my uncle has a V70 2.5 '99 and his does the same. Quick fix??
    Yep, very common. Dry joints in ABS ECU usually - the black thing under the chunk o aluminum with lots of brake pipes going into it just behind the airbox bolted to the inner wing on the nearside. Made some posts earlier this week - if you are a good solderer you might do this yourself, or else a few people on Ebay will do the fix for £70 to £100. Mine came on today so will be doing the same.
    Essentially, the ECU is held on by (six, I think) torx bolts to the ABS pump. You can remove it in about fifteen minutes with a bit of contortioning. Gently remove the wiring connector and the unit will pull away. Removing it will not cause any fluid leaks - it is just a set of actuators that are all held securely into the ECU. The car will still be driveable (suggest wrapping pump in plastic bag to protect from dirt), but the speedo wont work and the ABS/TRACS light will be on. You can send it away to be fixed if not brave enough to do it yourself. It should come back by return, but some fixers have them on the shelf and for a deposit, will send you one out and you send in your unit which they obviously keep.
    It may be a dirty sensor, but 9 times out of 10 it will be the ECU - and it is an easy fix. When you get it back, you will reassemble it, and then have to drive the car up to 9mph to clear the orange light/s.
    Hope that helps.
    Phil.
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Sunday 6th September 2009 at 22:01.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I also repair ECUs - just see the classified section - Volvo parts etc.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I may look you up Dave. My ABS are even worse than my PECS.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    What do you charge?
    KISS Rs

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    All work is done via HLM in Bromsgrove, as I cannot personally waranty the repair. More details here...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Monday 7th September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    so does it mean that your abs and trac control ain't working when the lights come on? or is the fault just with the lights and everything is ok really?

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywolf View Post
    so does it mean that your abs and trac control ain't working when the lights come on? or is the fault just with the lights and everything is ok really?
    Well, the system is fine, but the controller ECU is the brain that operates it, so when the lights are on the ABS and TRACS are operational. So it does need to be fixed before it will pass an MOT and not good in the rain either!
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My ABS ECU has been taken off for repair today - I thought that the abs & tracs light would both still be on but the tracs light has gone out. If you push the tracs switch on the dash then the light comes back on and goes off when you push the switch again - is this normal ?

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    [quote=Mrsmastiffs;255949]My ABS ECU has been taken off for repair today - I thought that the abs & tracs light would both still be on but the tracs light has gone out. If you push the tracs switch on the dash then the light comes back on and goes off when you push the switch again - is this normal ?[/quote

I will let you know when I take mine off. I don't know.
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My hubby tried the repair on my abs ecu yesterday but it didn't work, lights still on

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cool cheers!!

Thread Information