Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy Blind lorry drivers and thieving insurance.

I'm very sorry to report that a blind moron in an articulated lorry decided to reverse back to the road he'd just passed, without bothering to look behind him, and smashed into my lovely T5 (pics attached). As if that wasn't bad enough, even though the damage is not that severe, the insurance have declared the car a total loss and are trying to say that it's only worth £400. Robbing b@$%^&$, so now I've got troll the internet to prove she's worth more.
    I've managed to find a couple of ad's on autotrader but if anyone can send me links to others it'd be greatly appreciated.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaT5 View Post
    I'm very sorry to report that a blind moron in an articulated lorry decided to reverse back to the road he'd just passed, without bothering to look behind him, and smashed into my lovely T5 (pics attached). As if that wasn't bad enough, even though the damage is not that severe, the insurance have declared the car a total loss and are trying to say that it's only worth £400. Robbing b@$%^&$, so now I've got troll the internet to prove she's worth more.
    I've managed to find a couple of ad's on autotrader but if anyone can send me links to others it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Whose insurance company declared the right off? Not yours, it's nothing to do with them. The other party was at total fault I presume?

Hammy (Nunchuckhamster) had his C70 pranged recently through no fault of his but he stuck it out and managed to get it repaired (on the "other" forum if you want details http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=7903). Might be worth contacting him although iirc he's on holiday at the moment. At least read the thread for some ideas. Don't just accept the first verdict of a right off.

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

BIG STUPID GRIN
    Thanks

Talking

found this on piston heads if any good have a look they have 24 850s on there http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1183743.htm

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Exclamation

Shame these ar*es got involved as it'll be recorded now. £100 would have it squared up. Should be noted that cars like ours are the anti-christ now so the "funny people" will do their utmost to get them off the road. Write-off,my eye. Just another government influenced con. £400 indeed!!

This status has no user
    Thanks
    If it wasn't your fault, Then insist it's repaired.
    Also if you can't replace the car like for like at £400 then they have to give you more. Wasn't your fault and your out of pocket and without a car.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Looks like these idiots have put your reg into webuyanycar.com. They offer rock bottom prices.
    Why should you have to lose out because some moron can't be bothered to check behind his wagon.

It's not up to the lorries insurers to tell you what they will give you, you should tell them what you expect. I personally think that insurance companies are a bunch of rip off artists, and that's from personal experience.

Go for a replacement car that's at least up to the same standard ad the one the idiot hit.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers all for the info, the other guy was completely at fault so I didn't realise I could insist on it being repaired rather than written off. The engineer is supposed to be calling me again tomorrow so I'll push for it to be fixed.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    dont forget that if your too close behind an Artic then they cant see u in their mirrors..... if u cant see their mirrors .. they cant see you...i drove atrics for 15 years.. and I did the exact same thing to a car years ago... it dont mean I was a blind moron..... just meant that an accident happend.... im sure he didnt do it on purpose......sorry to hear about your car.... hope it gets sorted soon.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi gutted for you best colour aswell
    RNLI Train One Save Many

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all, just a quick update. Got another call from the insurance engineers the other day (different bloke this time said he was handling it as I was unhappy with the first valuation, I suspect a good cop bad cop type scam happening) and they're now offering £800 which he says is top book price. I pointed out that I had many examples of equivalent condition cars for sale for a lot more than that and he said and he said they didn't take any notice of the second hand market as the prices fluctuated so much!! Where does he think my replacement car's going to come from? So now I've got to ring him today to let him know if I accept his pitiful offer or if I want to go through the complaints proceedure. At this rate the courtesy car will end up costing them more than the repairs would have.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated in case this helps any other unfortunate soul in the future.

Quick reply to storm-troll, was not implying at all that all lorry drivers are morons. I work in a distribution centre and spend all night tipping and loading trailers so I know a lot of drivers and they're generally great blokes and very skilled at what they do. Plus I was a safe distance behind until he hit the brakes, and his trailer was a flatbed and I could still see his mirrors even after he was an top of me.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Don't accept it. Keep on fighting.

Firstly the 'book' price they are offering you is doubtless a trade or trade-in price and not a retail price.

If you're a member of the RAC or the AA, you may be able to get them to come around (for a fee you can then charge to your/the third party's insurers) and give a pre-accident valuation?

Also it's worth bearing in mind additional losses, e.g. have you lost money in other damage to equipment in the car/yourself/injuries/loss of earnings/insurance excess, etc.

You are entitled to submit a claim to the third party's insurers to recover these, especially if liability has already been decided.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaT5 View Post
    his trailer was a flatbed and I could still see his mirrors even after he was an top of me.
    then the truck driver needs to have his licence taken away.. sorry to hear its not goin well.. have u tried contacting the haulage company direct?

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveforber View Post
    Don't accept it. Keep on fighting.

Firstly the 'book' price they are offering you is doubtless a trade or trade-in price and not a retail price.

If you're a member of the RAC or the AA, you may be able to get them to come around (for a fee you can then charge to your/the third party's insurers) and give a pre-accident valuation?

Also it's worth bearing in mind additional losses, e.g. have you lost money in other damage to equipment in the car/yourself/injuries/loss of earnings/insurance excess, etc.

You are entitled to submit a claim to the third party's insurers to recover these, especially if liability has already been decided.
    without agreed value insurance, it's very hard to get them to pay one penny over their "book" price.....

(which, by the way, isn't even a real book.... no they don't use glasses guide)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Pm Lottie on T5D5.ORG, she will tell you what it is worth as she works for the business

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Thread Information