Join Today
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Question iPod thoughts on an 850

I am sure there must be a cunning way to connect an ipod to my standard SC Volvo radio/cd unit. I have tried the obvious of using a cassette to ipod device - which was crap. Has remote CD changer on it. Must be some socket at the back of the head-unit that could be utilised? Any ideas welcomed. Phil.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Phil, There are FM transmitters available that will wirelessly transmit sound from your Ipod or other device, just tune into the pre-set frequency and hey presto! No fiddly wiring to worry about!
    Have a look on the Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FM-Transmitter...d=p3286.c0.m14
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny5 For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Thursday 3rd September 2009)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    can you not get an FM modulator that hooks upto the iPod?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes, it's called iTrip. e.g. :-

http://www.eoutlet.co.uk/Griffin-iTr...k-1399-PD.aspx

I'm using a USB FM transmitter from my CarPC project for media playback and the results are more than good enough for pretty punchy and clear audio.
    Last edited by cornclose; Thursday 3rd September 2009 at 16:31.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cornclose For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Cheers for those. I hadn't heard of all this modern technology - to be honest, I was given an ipod and didn't even charge it for three weeks as I was not quite sure what to do with it. Now however, I wouldn't be without it - hence the request.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Phil, There are FM transmitters available that will wirelessly transmit sound from your Ipod or other device, just tune into the pre-set frequency and hey presto! No fiddly wiring to worry about!
    Have a look on the Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FM-Transmitter...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Settled on that one so will see what happens. The Griffin one did not get great reviews so at £30 I thought I would give the £7 option a try! CHeers for the advice Johnny!
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No worries m8y
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

This user has no status

Thanks
    Does this fit the premium sound system, anyone know?
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=852

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsimon View Post
    Does this fit the premium sound system, anyone know?
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=852
    Sec 3b of the description seems to suggest you can but with the purchase of an adaptor - know nothing of these things, but that is what the ad says. Lot of money - wonder if it is better to get a new head-unit (although the Volvo SC ones are pretty good for a manufacturer installed product) even if it does leave a space in the dash - suppose you could keep a sandwich in there.
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks

USA Spec

I've got the USA Spec on my 850R and it works great. Only thing to be aware of is that if you want to charge a 3G phone or 4th Gen Nano then you will need another special adapter, in addition to the adapter you need anyway. So works out quite expensive.

I wanted to keep head unit original and amp. Got mine second hand so worked out a bit cheaper.

My mate's got a FM modulator thing in his Jag and he thinks it's rubbish.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Got one of the Ebay FM modulators for the ipod. It's OK - not fantastic, but then for £7 all in, that would be expecting a miracle - it is a lot better than the plug in cassette device though. So thanks for the info - works well around the house too as my son has tuned every radion in the house to it.
    KISS Rs

Thread Information