Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

the first day of a repaint ...

got the old gal in and have started on a full repaint , stripped her of the essentials and have started to fill dents from car park users and finish the front splitter and hopefully get her masked and ready for a base coat tomorrow .
    Last edited by preacher38; Saturday 27th November 2010 at 22:30.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Wow, what prompted that then??.

Have you removed the door handles and other bits of trim?, you be better off doing if you haven't other wise you'll end up with an ugly line around them when you unmask it.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status

Thanks
    all the stone chips and the front bumper cracks and other bits were really annoying me , taking the handles off today , saving them till last ....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Plenty of thin coats, flatted in-between, then another 4 or 5 of laquer, then do not touch it for at least 3 / 4 days before you polish it up! Should then look lovely.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    new paint shouldnt be touch IMHO for 6 weeks at least.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    new paint shouldnt be touch IMHO for 6 weeks at least.
    Depends on the paint and how it's dried....

I've done a few 2k paint jobs that have had a poor finish, I've let it go hard to the point where you can just about leave a fingerprint in it if you press hard, then I've wet sanded it back a little with some 2000 grit wet and dry used very wet, polished it back with G3. As the paint isn't quite hard it tends to settle a little once you've polished it, this gives a fantastic mirror finish, however it's risky as hell because if you time it wrong or put too much pressure on when polishing you can actualy drag the paint off the panel and wrinkle it.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by preacher38 View Post
    got the old gal in and have started on a full repaint , stripped her of the essentials and have started to fill dents from car park users and finish the front splitter and hopefully get her masked and ready for a base coat tomorrow .
    Admiration........

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hello, sorry to butt in but can I ask please what experience you have of re-spraying ? The reason I ask is that my hubby has got a sudden urge to learn how to do this in his mid life crisis and my T5 is looking like a prime candidate Is it a difficult task ?

Many thanks

Tracey

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmastiffs View Post
    Hello, sorry to butt in but can I ask please what experience you have of re-spraying ? The reason I ask is that my hubby has got a sudden urge to learn how to do this in his mid life crisis and my T5 is looking like a prime candidate Is it a difficult task ?

Many thanks

Tracey
    Welcome to the madhouse Tracey........Simple answer to your q is.........yes..

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks

Many thanks

Tracey
    Oh dear......A re spray on something like a Volvo is not something to undertake lightly, a bad re spray can ruin a good car. Tell him that if he don't know what he's doing to pay someone else.

Previous cars:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Er theres no nice way to put this but my beloved is talking pish

She knows very well that i said I would buy a car in need of some attention especially to try and learn on. ( a sit happens its an old porsche 944 I'm looking to practice on for what its worth)

'she' said oh my car could do with some help, presumably joking.

1) I wouldnt ruin a good car as theres nothing wrong with the paint on 'my' T5 other than scratches/age.

2) You dont start with a respray you start with maybe a little rust on some sills or a boot lip and say work your way up.

When she told me about your post I was interested and mistakenly asked
    " put a post on and find out if and where he learned " . Im actually thinking of maybe a tech college or 'labouring' for a spray shop on my day off but as is typical of me its just another mid life crisis thing i want to have a go at hehehe

Lesson learned : don't ask your missus to post or she'll defo show you up

Well mine anyway

Mas

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Oh christ that's you in the dog house tonight then......

Learning to spray takes a looong time, you don't just need to know the technical aspects of it,you also need to know the tips of the trade that will save you in a pinch. College would be a good starting point, as for a car to work on at home, I'd suggest you go out and buy a car for a couple of hundred pounds that needs paint and play around with it.

Previous cars:

This user has no status

Thanks

Many thanks

Tracey
    hello .... basecoat on and nibbed down , panel wiped and the first coat of 2 pack on .... looks like a car again .... only another 2 or 3 coats to go ....sigh!! .

Mrsmastiffs

and in reply to your question as to the experience i have in painting , a good mate learned me the trade and have been doing a bit on and off for a few years ... and yes it is a difficult task " even now " ...

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Having spent two weeks last summer just trying to paint my wheels there is no way in hell I'd attempt a car. You'd need good equipment, a decent compressor and a dust free enviroment- nothing worse than getting it good and then a bit of fluff landing on it.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    And endless patience. Preparation is everything and it takes a loooooooong time...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Personally I was hoping to learn to re do the odd sill or repair a bit of wheel arch damage so that it looks better than a 'spray can job'

I taught myself a bit of plastering and though I started off making a right mess of it I did end up capable of doing repairs to a wall , removed fireplace or chimney fill ins etc to a reasonable standerd.

I think painting a whole car would be more like attempting a ceiling and an arch ( neither of which I ever would )

You guys are doing a good job of putting me off trying

Mas

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i have just finnished respaying the fairing on my friends bike and although very experianced at this sort of thing one of the panels reacted very badly to the base coat.the rest of the panels looked great and now its back on the road looking as good as new.
    i wouldnt advise tring to respray a car if you are a virgin at this sort of thing.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It's a labour of love. Your heart has to be in it.....If I ever require to be doing this again,I'll pay someone else.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    It's a labour of love. Your heart has to be in it.....If I ever require to be doing this again,I'll pay someone else.
    i absolutely love my car , which is why i am putting up to 10 hours a day into giving some of her looks back to her which she so rightly deserves ... and helping others to appreciate what a great car the volvo is ...... she turned heads before this , hopefully now she will snap them ...

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher38 View Post
    i absolutely love my car , which is why i am putting up to 10 hours a day into giving some of her looks back to her which she so rightly deserves ... and helping others to appreciate what a great car the volvo is ...... she turned heads before this , hopefully now she will snap them ...
    Keep posting up pics matey. Be nice to see how it progresses..

Thread Information