Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

turbo lag turbo boost?

having just brought myself an 850, and it being the first turbo ive owned im what you could call a turbo virgin. my 850 is running at around 290 bhp, remap exhaust filter, i brought it from a vpcuk member, thanks again shaun850..... ive been driving it for 3 days now and i need a lay man explanation on turbos, lag and boost plz? i have a hks evc 5 boost controller and it means nothing to me as im a little unsure how it, works, effects performance and what the potential of my new long awaited 850 is...... pros and cons would be appreciated thanks......

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks
    Hello JT. 290bhp?,then it is far from standard. The T5 was equipped with the 15G unit which should spin up at around 2400rpm. Sounds like a re-map so more like 265 -270bhp with a Rica 280. You need to have an indepth nosey under the bonnet mate. The 304 re-map is obviously more again...Do a bit of checking bud.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i know as stardard they run at 230/250 im just wanting a verbal lesson on my new beast, being honest ive never owned such a fast car, i know its 15 years old and its way past its sell buy date, and the goverment would love me to trade it in on the new rat race theory 'hey look neighbour im doing so much better than you' motor, but i had a dream, my dream, and its here right here right now in my eyes im now the owner of classic motor, i want to keep her running sweet............... **** that sounds rather weird.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i should add my wife's getting a little worried allready, its only been 3 days

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jt850turbo View Post
    i know as stardard they run at 230/250 im just wanting a verbal lesson on my new beast
    all normal 850 T-5's are 225bhp, 850 T-5R's are 240bhp & 850R's are 250bhp

glad you happy with the car, but please be careful. Using a remap alongside an additional boost controller can be very dangerous & very expensive if you don't know what your doing. The remap will have either raised or removed the factory boost limit, & using an adjustable boost controller means its easy to wind it up a bit too much & end up bending your con-rods. I would keep the boost around 13psi to be safe

This user has no status
    Thanks
    been running mainly with on hks avc 5 off, so running below stock?..... i belive the boost control has 3 settings... off, A and B...... each setting has an 'warning level' witch will cut out before extreme levels of pressure, damage will be done?....... should i remove the boost control? and just run her without..... advice wanted?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    just want to keep enjoying her and keep her running?
    Last edited by jt850turbo; Friday 28th August 2009 at 00:22.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    all normal 850 T-5's are 225bhp, 850 T-5R's are 240bhp & 850R's are 250bhp

glad you happy with the car, but please be careful. Using a remap alongside an additional boost controller can be very dangerous & very expensive if you don't know what your doing. The remap will have either raised or removed the factory boost limit, & using an adjustable boost controller means its easy to wind it up a bit too much & end up bending your con-rods.
    Agreed! Look after those rods or you could end up with a big rebuild bill!

I would keep the boost around 13psi to be safe
    some of us seem to get away with running higher boost levels though hey Ped lol
    as long as the boost comes in progressively, the rods should be ok, however as Pedro says be very, very careful.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Shaun850 is a knowledgeable bloke, surely a little chat with him would of been good?

I know his car has been proven a solid 290hp on several different rollers and having seen it in person it got a nice exterior.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This car runs spot on having been in it many times. just use the settings on there and u wont go wrong but dont adjust it. hope u injoy the car i know shaun850 is missing it already.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    your limit on the std. bottom end is 17psi max, and thats with spot on fuelling, and believe me, i DO know the concequences!!!!, (new engine please!!!!)

Run it at 15/16psi to be safe, but please make sure your fuelling is ££££ on, get the map file read to see what is actually going on, also stick with the volvo BCS, dont change it for a GM one like some people do, cos if it decides to stop working, then boom!!!!, bent rods!!!!!!,
    i personally have a good fuel map,and a manual boost controller, (bleed valve) locked off at 16psi, and have a dyno proven 296.5 bhp, and she goes like stink.............safely!

Just be careful mate!!!

C
    My awesome 855 Gone but never forgotton.

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status

Thanks
    ive seen 22 psi on a t4 lump......never did go pop

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cragmaz View Post
    your limit on the std. bottom end is 17psi max, and thats with spot on fuelling, and believe me, i DO know the concequences!!!!, (new engine please!!!!)

thats 20.8psi on a stock engine with basically a MBC, air filter & exhaust. Your fuelling may have been "spot on", but your boost map couldn't of been

This user has no status

Thanks
    if a 1.6 ford CVH can take 22 psi i god dam hope a volvo t5 lump can

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hey james,

The evc has been on her for sometime and will cause you know issue.

Like I said on the phone dont load the boost up really low in the revs ie flooring it in 4th and 5th for 2k etc.

I had her checked on the rollers numerous times and it is spot on with fueling/det.

If you want to remove the evc then you will need a std boost control solenoied which I can foward to you.

But mate dont worry its supposed to be that quick

Adjusting the EVC towards 200% duty will make the car feel abit more laggy but bring the boost in later if you are worried but she will be fine.

hope you friend like it

cheers

shaun

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shaun850 For This Useful Post:

jt850turbo (Saturday 29th August 2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_carl View Post
    if a 1.6 ford CVH can take 22 psi i god dam hope a volvo t5 lump can
    they probably didn't use choclate for the con-rods on the CVH lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun850 View Post
    The evc has been on her for sometime and cause you know issue.
    i hope you don't take any of my comments the wrong way, there is no question about the evc working fine on the car (i'm using an Apexi AVC-R myself). I think most people are concerned about the new owner messing with it & bending some rods in the process of learning. Having the boost so easily adjustable can be a big temptation & combined with not 100% knowing how it works, the boost limit being raised/removed could very easily end in tears

If you want to remove the evc then you will need a std boost control solenoied which I can foward to you.
    can i ask how you managed to remove the stock BCS without throwing a CEL light?

This user has no status
    Thanks

thats 20.8psi on a stock engine with basically a MBC, air filter & exhaust. Your fuelling may have been "spot on", but your boost map couldn't of been
    NO, mate, you misunderstand me, when i bought the car it was running a rica/hlm ecu, and within 24hrs of purchasing the car, i blew the engine, and after reading the file it was totally kamikazee!!!!, with no boost limit, no ignition advance and very lean fuelling.

F.Y.I. my car runs blue injectors, a walbro 255 pump, a 19T turbo with r.i.p.to a massive fmic, an m.b.c. locked at 16psi, an apexi superpower intake, an 3" ipd down pipe with race cat, with a single box milltek system and a custom re-map, with a dyno proven 296.5bhp.

Belive me i know what i am talking about with regard to engines running spot on and it takes a lot of precise setting up with lots of hours doing so to be able to get the power and be safe with it, its cost me thousands to do so, and a lot of lessons and total bull**** learned.

Just imagine how you would have felt blowing all your budget on the right car, and then for it to blow it up24hrs later due to some clown mapping it, who dint have a clue what they were doing.
    Its cost me dearly to get it to its present state, i know for def, what i am talking about.

cheers

C

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_carl View Post
    ive seen 22 psi on a t4 lump......never did go pop
    will do soon mate!!!!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    P, I have never had a cel light from removing the BCS on any of my T5's...

They are pre obdII if that makes any odd to ya?

Thread Information