Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looking and sounding good m8y
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny5 For This Useful Post:

cragmaz (Tuesday 1st September 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Looking and sounding good m8y

Thanks dude,

C
    My awesome 855 Gone but never forgotton.

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Thanks Crag, that does sound very nice mate
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

cragmaz (Monday 31st August 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 2.5 10v View Post
    You'll need your CAT on for your MOT and of course if you have removed it then remember to tell your insurance company!!

I've said it before - its only a matter of time before someone comes unstuck...
    And I'll say it yet again, the presence of a CAT has FECK ALL to do with whether a car can pass an MOT, checking to see whether one is fitted to the vehicle is not part of the test.

The CAT is part of the construction and use regulations for vehicles, if your car was manufactured after a certain date (sometime in 1993 iirc) then it MUST be fitted with a CAT at all times. So, the time that you need a CAT fitted is not just for an MOT, you just have to pray that you never get a roadside VOSA check, because they can and have confiscated vehicles for not having the CAT fitted.

Your statement about telling your insurers is, frankly, beyond stupidity. By removing a CAT you have, in the eyes of the law, made your vehicle unroadworthy (hence why VOSA can impound it). If you look through your insurance terms you'll find that the policy will require that you keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. So, by ringing up and telling your insurance company that you have removed your CAT you are also telling them you have knowingly made your vehicle unroadworthy. All they will do is say thank you very much, perhaps charge you for the pleasure, and then make a note on your policy. So, roll on a period of time and you have an accident. You ring your insurer and try to make a claim, they look at the policy notes, see you've made the car unroadworthy, laugh at you and put the phone down.

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    And I'll say it yet again, the presence of a CAT has FECK ALL to do with whether a car can pass an MOT, checking to see whether one is fitted to the vehicle is not part of the test.

The CAT is part of the construction and use regulations for vehicles, if your car was manufactured after a certain date (sometime in 1993 iirc) then it MUST be fitted with a CAT at all times. So, the time that you need a CAT fitted is not just for an MOT, you just have to pray that you never get a roadside VOSA check, because they can and have confiscated vehicles for not having the CAT fitted.

Your statement about telling your insurers is, frankly, beyond stupidity. By removing a CAT you have, in the eyes of the law, made your vehicle unroadworthy (hence why VOSA can impound it). If you look through your insurance terms you'll find that the policy will require that you keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. So, by ringing up and telling your insurance company that you have removed your CAT you are also telling them you have knowingly made your vehicle unroadworthy. All they will do is say thank you very much, perhaps charge you for the pleasure, and then make a note on your policy. So, roll on a period of time and you have an accident. You ring your insurer and try to make a claim, they look at the policy notes, see you've made the car unroadworthy, laugh at you and put the phone down.
    LOL.
    Spend out and buy a sports one.
    Car sounds nice btw cragmaz.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cherry1809 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    LOL.
    Spend out and buy a sports one.
    Car sounds nice btw cragmaz.
    Thanx buddy!, was even thinkin of choppin out the remaining silencer, but dunno.

just nice for now.

C

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status
    Thanks
    short video of a blast to work this morning, exhaust sounds nice and rampant wheelspin on the damp roads, excellent fun!!!!!

http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=MOV00038.flv

C

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Crag, be carefull if you are thinking of removing the rear silencer completley as it provides back pressure on the engine
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Crag, be carefull if you are thinking of removing the rear silencer completley as it provides back pressure on the engine
    no backbox matey, just 1 centre one!!!!

C

This status has no user
    Thanks
    As far as I'm aware, The turbo provides enough back pressure by itself.
    Back pressure and crap exhausts only really applies to NA cars.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    As far as I'm aware, The turbo provides enough back pressure by itself.
    Back pressure and crap exhausts only really applies to NA cars.
    yeh, my mate had one some years ago, and he just had a straight thro pipe from turbo back, it sounded awesome poppin` and bangin` on overrun, very tempted haha!!!

C

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    you don't want back pressure on a turbo, thats why i've got a bypass valve

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    you don't want back pressure on a turbo, thats why i've got a bypass valve
    how does that work then m8?

C

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cragmaz View Post
    how does that work then m8?
    its a motorised butterfly valve welded into the exhaust, flick the switch & it opens bypassing the CAT, silencer & all the piperwork

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84[/ame]

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    its a motorised butterfly valve welded into the exhaust, flick the switch & it opens bypassing the CAT, silencer & all the piperwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84

Wow!!!!, thats awesome, is it expensive to do, where do you get the parts from and does it provide any performance benefits?

C

Thanks
    Wow!!!!, thats awesome, is it expensive to do, where do you get the parts from and does it provide any performance benefits?
    i got it from QTP & had to be imported from America, think it cost about £150ish quid, then the price of getting it fitted. Not done any back-to-back tests & not really used it much, but should help the turbo spool up quick

20. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Been tinkering at the garage a..................... i drew a deep breath and removed the oval tailpiece, and chopped the silencer out,then butt welded a stainless length to the existing system ....
    C

errhyemm I knows some on yer speaks with theirs, but how do you weld with your butt? Can you post vid of it on Youtube??

Cheers
    Woz

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post

errhyemm I knows some on yer speaks with theirs, but how do you weld with your butt? Can you post vid of it on Youtube??

Cheers
    Woz

HaHa, thats almost as funny as your avatar picture!!!!!!

C

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Shamooooaaaaaaan mother ££££er, lol

Car sounds mint Craig and goes like stink

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    havent looked at the cat on a volvo but had a cat on a calibra before and smashed the centre through and then put a straight peice of pipe through the centre making it decatted but still looking like an original cat not sure if this is poss on volvos but if you done it that way then if vosa pull u over u can plead igronance on it i suppose

Thread Information