Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question Calling All HLM Re-Map Owners!

Hi there guys!

I know there have been loads of posts regarding the different types of re-map, but I am only interested in one.....the HLM special!

Someone you might have read my other post regarding my birthday coming up, and my GF giving me a choice of gift. Seems like I might be going for one of these ECUs, but I'd like some "real-life" advice before I go and take the plunge.

Should I go 280 or 304? What are your experiences of this re-map? What is it like to live with everyday? Any downsides to it? Any horror stories regarding it? Anything else I should know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

I don't care if you have a T-5, a T-5R or an R......
    ......they wouldn't have existed if my Turbo hadn't forged the path!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    If your going to do it then you might as well go the whole hog and get the 304, the only difference being that if you run the 304 on standard unleaded you wont get the same performance, it needs super (Pref 98 ron or higher). I've had two remaps from HLM now on two different cars, the first one was the full price one, the second the current "Cheaper" version, tbh I can't tell any difference (Cos there aint any). You get plenty of bang for your buck and day to day running costs are about the same (except when your foots welded to the floor), I've never heard of any horror stories from the standard remap(before everyone starts moaning) but have heard loads of praise for it.

No I don't work for HLM, these are my own personal opinions based soley on previous experience.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

DuncVolvoTurbo (Wednesday 19th August 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    It seems to be a grey area as to what exactly the "hlm remap " is. Some say it's a dodgy copy off an original Rica but as hlm arn't rica dealers anymore , they call it there own.
    I had an original Rica304 on my old t-5r and never had a problem with it in all the time i had the car. It was quite aggresive but seemed to run out of puff at around 5000rpm.

Also the 304 map had to run on v power, the 280 didn't have to.

If the hlm is basically the rica, then imo for the money it's very good value.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As it happens, I have a 304 going up for sale (off my ~T5R) very soon if I can get a replacement ECU (the weekend beckons!!) Save yourself some cash for other mods...buy mine at a fraction of the cost!

regards
    Pat

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Also the 304 map had to run on v power, the 280 didn't have to.
    not strictly true, to get the very best out of it higher octane is better but it will run very happily on 95...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    As it happens, I have a 304 going up for sale (off my ~T5R) very soon if I can get a replacement ECU (the weekend beckons!!) Save yourself some cash for other mods...buy mine at a fraction of the cost!

regards
    Pat
    Would it fit a 1994 standard Turbo manual without air con?

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hey buddy,TC sums it up well. Had mine a few months now although mine is the 280. Best advice is to give Hamish a call. He will be only too happy to answer any qs. The 304 map is apparently more ferocious but Hamish strongly recommended the higher octane fuel to ensure the engine's safety and to maximise the benefits. The 280 will run on either and is very powerful/torquey from almost idle speed. Economy is noticeably improved and it runs like a Swiss watch. Be aware though. The vacuum pipes,turbo seals and pcv will all be under much greater stresses due to the increased boost pressures so advisable to make sure your T5 is fit and well before any re-map. Noone seems certain of the true outputs of these maps but was told by Hamish 265-270bhp on a fit car with the 280. As for the 304?? Would recommend it to every T5 owner mate. By the way,I fitted an mbc also just for that wee bit extra.....HTH.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanG For This Useful Post:

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    not strictly true, to get the very best out of it higher octane is better but it will run very happily on 95...
    As long as you drive it gently,yes. Hamish was very clear on the phone about that. The man is no fool and certainly won't want customers claiming him for holed pistons due to pinking/detonation. 304 needs 98RON to be safe.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncVolvoTurbo View Post
    Would it fit a 1994 standard Turbo manual without air con?
    I will let the experts argue that one for ever,

basically, as long as yours is a Bosch motronic4.3 fuel system then the answer is yes.
    The aircon thing seems to come up often but AFAIK it makes no difference. RICA remap switched aircon off on boost to reduce load and allow response (so I read).

Am getting an ECU at the weekend hopefully so my RICA 304 will be up for grabs.

Waits for the crossfire lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I only run my car and bike on Shell V-Power, so there wouldn't be an issue in getting the 304 then. I've changed the plugs, PCV, distributor cap, rotor arm, oil & filter less than 1500miles ago. I've upgraded the panel filter, exhaust, and HT leads, so there shouldn't be an issue with that either.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have run mine on all sorts since I had the remap. No real power loss and still boosts past the end stop of the guage.
    Dunc. Do some reaserch and if you want to save some cash let me know. If I still have it when the car goes we can do a deal.
    Regards
    Pat
    Scrappage.....love it!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to splatt For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had this done on mine. Came out with 50WHP more than I went in with. I'm happy with what I got and thought I had good VFM.

The only downside was the chippy round the corner. If they had seved this small large fish up in Essex it would have been returned as a flying fish. However, I got the largest portion of chips I can recall seeing.

I did a 300 mile + round trip and recommend them.

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    I'm gonna get a remap to bring the fuelling into line, but if it wasn't for the fuelling, then I wouldn't bother.... Mine's quick enough as it is.....

but that's the choice... lots of engine work, or short-cut it, and get a map...

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    It was quite aggresive but seemed to run out of puff at around 5000rpm.
    Surely that is down to the turbo. I have had a few T5's and a P1 V70R. The 850's all had 15g's and were punchy through the mid range, but tailed off top end. The V70 also had a RICA310 [IIRC] but with the 18T was more linear and pulled hard beyond 4500 to red line. I would say it was the restriction of your turbo rather than the remap.
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status
    Thanks

Calling All HLM Re-Map Owners!

hi splatt,
    ive pmd you.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question

Seems to be quite a few on here with issues regarding power tailing off at around 5500rpm. Strange. I have no clue as to why this might be but mine bounces of the limiter if I get over-enthusiastic. There are no engine mods,just HLM 280,K&N panel filter and a light influence from an R-Spec MBC in-line with the factory BCS. Strange indeed.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I was undecided on which map to go for the 280 or the 304 as i have an auto, however i got there and after talking to Hamish, who really knows his stuff by the way ( although he can be arrogant with it ) i opted for the 304 full on bad boy map

To say the trip home was quick is an understatement, and ive seen the north side of 155mph on a private runway of course so it makes a huge difference, the car used to run out at 143mph but now it just keeps pulling till the red line and beyond without let up, no running out of puff in this chariot

Mid range it scares standard scooby and evo drivers, and 40 - 70 is very quick indeed, press the sports button and its a whole new ball game, it doesnt go into top gear until its hitting 110mph, its bloody bonkers mate

I wouldnt change it for the world and every time i plant my foot in the floor, im grinning from ear to ear, happy days mate

Fuel consumption is slightly up about 20mpg round town and about 35mpg on a run @ 70 - 75 mph, although ive had it as high as 41 mpg sitting at 60mph on a 55 mile run to blackpool with me and the mrs and 5 kids and a whole load of picnic stuff in there as well

Id reccomend Hamish and HLM to anybody, no worries or hesitation whatsover.

Go for the 304 dunc then that way you wont have the " yeah but what if i had " syndrome

Make your choice and enjoy, it'll be the best £150 you'll spend this side of Crimbo anyway.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:

DuncVolvoTurbo (Thursday 20th August 2009)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Hello mate, just as all the above have said, ive had 2 of hlm, first nearly 6 yrs ago a 304, my mrs has had that car for the last 4 yrs and never had a problem and thats on 95 fuel she put 97 in for the first time a few weeks back to go to york raceway no problems, got mine done about 5 months ago (cheap version) and there is NO difference, but what i do know is that my mrs 850 is no a/c mine is with i tried swapping the ecu before i got mine done and it did not work, dont think you can get a better test than that.
    P.s its the best mod for the money you will not be disappointed

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I second that.. HLM all the way... never had a problem with anything they have done onver the years... i had a 310 remap on my previous car.. an S70R... still owned and running great by Joe Lounge on here... im gettin ready to go get a special Hybrid remap soon.... bigger turbo etc etc blah blah so will be better than the 310. i have been for a test drive in a car with the Hybrid remap and its awsome....cant wait to hand over the keys for the next jobby...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    had the 304 on mine and it gets very addictive
    one thing to watch out for tho is if you boot it in the lower gears it can bite with some arm wrenching torque steer

Thread Information